Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

The BBS Big-Eff Game Thing

WARNING: The contents of this thread are extremely loosely planned. As in, these will probably be scatterings of ideas, and I most likely don't have answers to your questions right now. As in, if you'd like, feel free to add and modify because IDEK~!

So we haven't revived the ASBN, and given how active it was before SCRATCH (and by that I mean it was dead and in need of a massive overhaul), I'm thinking it's safe to assume no one's quite interested in trying to wade through everything we had earlier to remake it. But we also don't want Marcin's efforts on a calculator to go to waste, and it'd be nice if we incorporated the shiny shop system, amirite?

That's where this idea comes in!

I'm talking about ASB-like gameplay, only with more of a storyline feel. And no, I'm not talking about effing Fizzy Bubbles. GTFO, lurkers.

THE BBS DUNGEON SYSTEM
(Better title TBA)

Da Fuq?
The BBS Dungeon System (oh god that's a terrible title) is a forum-wide/takes-up-a-forum game in which members threads to participate in adventures. Like the ASBN, players begin by registering a team of N starters (doesn't have to be a solid six, but that's an option) that they can take with them into various story/dungeon threads. Through adventuring, they can acquire new Pokémon or level up their teams.

What Is a Dungeon?
To answer this question, we should have a slight distinction. There are players, those who enter threads purely to participate in their stories, and then there are dungeon masters (or DMs), people who create story threads (dungeons) to run. Dungeons can be anything, from a straightforward "wander around a Poképark-like atmosphere to encounter and battle/catch Pokémon" to fully-fledged interactive stories/one-person RPGs that a player can go through with their characters. To make it easier, these are the tentative dungeon types available:

Poképark: No set story. Player enters to explore an area and catch or battle wild Pokémon.
Solo Interactive: A dungeon with a story track (e.g., "you go out to get milk but everything ever wants to keep you from getting to the store and back," "you're a spy for Team Rocket attempting to steal information from a rival organization's headquarters," "you're trapped in a haunted house and need to find a way out") that a player participates in on their own. There is no interaction between one character and another.
Co-Op Interactive: A dungeon with a story track that requires two or more players to interact with each other in order to complete the story's goals.
MMO Interactive: A more sandbox/RPG-like dungeon (still with an overall story) in which player characters can cross paths, interact with each other, and/or influence their story tracks.

Perks and Prizes
While the events from dungeons are generally self-contained, Pokémon captures and levels are permanent, meaning if you catch or level up Pokémon in one story arc, your Pokémon and levels will follow you to the next dungeon you enter. (How this works for dungeons you're running simultaneously still needs to be worked out. Perhaps banning Pokémon you're currently using in one dungeon, which in turn would encourage you to finish dungeons?)

Moreover, while you have the option of leaving a dungeon at any time, you can get extra perks from completing a dungeon run. This could be anything from extra levels or money for the dungeon system to actual board-wide points.

Where the Points System Comes In
Besides the possibility of awarding actual board-wide PokéDollars for completing dungeons, there's also the possibility of using the shop system for expansion packs. Possible items include:

1. Free Pokémon
2. Shiny or event Pokémon (including Pokémon from the old ASBN)
3. Pokémon slot expansion (The number of Pokémon available for a dungeon could be limited, which would require DMs to come to the shop and buy expansion slots to upgrade their dungeons. For example, they might only be allowed to have ten wild Pokémon appear in their dungeons, but they could buy one or more extra slots in the points shop to increase that number to fifteen, twenty, or so forth.)
4. Dungeon expansion (The number of dungeons a DM can run could also be limited, requiring them to buy this expansion to be able to run another one. For example, if they can only run one at a time, they can buy this voucher to be able to run two.)
5. Item boxes (If items are allowed -- see below -- players could either buy items from the shop to take with them on one or more dungeons, or DMs could buy this to expand their dungeon further by offering more items to be bought/found throughout their story. It could be either.)

Item System
One part of the game that is completely optional, but there could be an item system. While hold items may end up being too messy to keep track of (unless it's for a single dungeon), things such as Potions, Revives, and so forth could be offered or found throughout a dungeon (or sold at its beginning), or there could be OOC shops that allow you to buy such items for a single dungeon use with board-wide points or money you earn through the game. For longer dungeons, it'd be helpful at least.

Other items include evolutionary ones (naturally) and whatever else you folks might think of.

The DMs
DMs can be practically anyone, although there could be limitations put in place to avoid letting people create dungeons and then abandon them or create dungeons that just don't have that much thought put into them. Tests (a la ref tests) are an idea, as is a moderation queue.

There could also be perks for running dungeons consistently as well. For example, board-wide or in-game points could be awarded for DMs who update each week. Likewise, if a DM abandons a thread without warning or explanation (and there will naturally be a "so I'm away" thread to keep track of this), points can be deducted from the DM's account... or they could just have a temporary ban on creating another dungeon while their old one gets shut down.

Battles
Aye, here's the rub. Battles can happen at any time throughout the dungeon, and they can be against wild Pokémon, NPCs, or (if in the MMO Interactive/Co-Op Interactive modes) other players. These battles will be in the same style as the old ASBN matches, and they'll be reffed by your DMs. Actual player characters can even engage in battles, although why would you when you have a team of supernatural monsters at your disposal? (If this is starting to sound more and more like actual tabletop gaming, high five for figuring it out by now!)

Entering a Dungeon
If it makes things easier, there could be a system in place where you decide before entering a dungeon which Pokémon and which items from your stash you'll be taking with you. This can also help prevent the whole "so what happens if my Charmander evolves in one dungeon while I'm using it in another" problem.

Otherwise, specifics on how the process of entering dungeons works could be hammered out later or specified by DMs.

Characters
You're most definitely encouraged to roleplay while you're running through a dungeon, but keep in mind that when you register, you create your own character who will largely be consistent from dungeon to dungeon. (There can also be a separate forum that allows you to create a thread for your character in order to keep track of not only their Pokémon and items but also their individual details.) So, if you create a character named Mary Sue, then your character's name will be Mary Sue in every dungeon you run, basically. Personality details and backstory can be updated from time to time, so long as you get the basic rules of roleplaying. (Read: Don't actually create a Mary Sue god character. Even if there may not be anything in the rules that keep you from attempting to break story tracks.)

Alts
Idek, something of a possibility? It would be pretty shiny if this had a very MMO sort of feel to it, but on the other hand, that's a lot to keep track of and double-check.

Starting Over
...But I get the feeling this would be an easier alternative than alts, provided that we discourage DMs from dumping their dungeons and starting new ones before completing story tracks with players who are milling about in their dungeons. Or giving players a heads up, anyway.

Tl;dr, games are awesome.

Thoughts? :D
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

This sounds like an awesome idea and I completely support it and all of the idek it stands for. :D

Don't have a comment on everything right now, but a possible solution to the issue of alts/characters off the top of my head: support for one-off/sub-characters rather than (or in addition to) multiple/restarted full-fledged characters? Say, a way to do a quick trip through a single dungeon with a character other than your main, who wouldn't necessarily get to keep all of their stuff at the end (but conversely might be able to start with stronger pokémon or whatever), but maybe at the end of that one-off campaign could get some sort of generic reward that is transferrable to the main account? A "flash character" sort of thing, I guess. I think that's what they're called. Anyway. Just a thought, really, and could still do with more fleshing out on its own, but... ?

(Can I interest anyone in more parentheticals or slashes, perchance?)

Also, at first I misunderstood and thought this would be something that somehow interacted with other forums on the board as well, like the creative forums and what have you. Not that people would be interrupting someone's fanfic thread with random RP instead of reviews, but... er... actually I'm not even sure what I was thinking. But if some sort of at least minor/tangential interaction with the reast of the board could be pulled off here and there, that might also be cool?
Altered Origin
fanart, fanfics, fan rambles and assorted random crap

The Phoenixdex
so many fakemans aaaaaaa halp

A Pokemon D&D? Count me in! ;D

I would say, go for alts. That way, people don't get bored of one character, which is definitely going to happen (I mean, there's a reason why we writers have a cast and not a soloist xD). It may be of a hassle to keep track at first so I suggest only allowing this option with a set of criteria like maybe completing x number of dungeons etc. Also, with alts being available, there could be different character classes. Maybe a member of a villain team, a Ranger? Could work on fleshing out this idea. :3

Also, n = 3, because three is a charm xP No, seriously, it's like the suitable number for starters and I believe most ASBLs follow that quantity? Also, regarding items, I think it would be best if they're only restricted to like dungeon usage or battling items. Speaking of battling, having a battle arena could also be fun for casual PvP and who knows, there could be tournaments for points/Pokemon? (:

I think allowing people to use multiple characters ('trainers'?) for all of the dungeons would be the best way (ie they may use Mr Magoo for this challenge while using John Smith for another), and all winnings/gains/etc from the challenges are tied to the person's actual account.
Quote:Speaking of battling, having a battle arena could also be fun for casual PvP and who knows, there could be tournaments for points/Pokemon? (:
I guess that could be served by the ASBN (ASB Neo as we called it, although maybe we should use a new name?) if/when that's brought back.
Quote:Also, at first I misunderstood and thought this would be something that somehow interacted with other forums on the board as well, like the creative forums and what have you. Not that people would be interrupting someone's fanfic thread with random RP instead of reviews, but... er... actually I'm not even sure what I was thinking. But if some sort of at least minor/tangential interaction with the reast of the board could be pulled off here and there, that might also be cool?
I guess tying the forum's point system to it would promote earning points in other sections as well as an additional may to get stuff for it (e.g. new Pokemon, items, whatnot. Have people only be able to sell their own winnings by getting their own store too for instance(. That's not quite it though I guess, but I'm not yet sure what other way you could tie this with current sections.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

So, le awesome. Looks like we've got a lot of buzzes of excitement going on here, so unless someone speaks up before Sunday, this may be A Thing, which is cool.

(23rd Sep 2012, 09:51 PM)Phoenixsong Wrote: Also, at first I misunderstood and thought this would be something that somehow interacted with other forums on the board as well, like the creative forums and what have you. Not that people would be interrupting someone's fanfic thread with random RP instead of reviews, but... er... actually I'm not even sure what I was thinking. But if some sort of at least minor/tangential interaction with the reast of the board could be pulled off here and there, that might also be cool?

Y'know, this reminds me of something a friend of mine and one of the mods over at PE2K mentioned once. (Phantom Kat, if you're reading this, you're awesome.) Basically, they call it the URPG or something along those lines, and as part of the game, players are encouraged to write small stories about a Pokémon catch, and the higher the quality of their story, the more likely they'll actually obtain the Pokémon for the game. While that's a possibility we can incorporate into this game, what I'm getting at is we could encourage players to write fics or create art (or participate in certain threads or areas of the board) for perks. For example, there could be a system that has them write a fic related to their main dungeon character, and the better the fic (or the longer the fic, whichever is easier to determine), the more in-game points/money they can earn.

Something like that, maybe? What do folks think?

(24th Sep 2012, 08:53 AM)Temporal Diamond Wrote: Also, n = 3, because three is a charm xP No, seriously, it's like the suitable number for starters and I believe most ASBLs follow that quantity?

Have to admit that the leagues I've played in (PFUASB and ASBN) actually had you start with six, but I like the idea of three. It's like a happy medium between the league we used to have and Fizzy Bubbles' one-starter rule, and it gives players a nice variety.

Quote:Speaking of battling, having a battle arena could also be fun for casual PvP and who knows, there could be tournaments for points/Pokemon? (:

We could do this (especially if MMO-style dungeons are a thing here), but I'm wondering the same thing bobandbill is: would it be too much like ASBing if we did this a lot? So I'm thinking that if we do allow PvP outside of dungeon threads, we keep it down to a side feature to emphasize that the main part of the game are the dungeon threads, rather than just the ASB-like matches. What do people think there?

(26th Sep 2012, 11:44 AM)bobandbill Wrote: I think allowing people to use multiple characters ('trainers'?) for all of the dungeons would be the best way (ie they may use Mr Magoo for this challenge while using John Smith for another), and all winnings/gains/etc from the challenges are tied to the person's actual account.

Welp, I think we've come to a general consensus, and alts it is! \o/ Unless someone else wants to swing by and pipe up on that matter.

Quote:I guess that could be served by the ASBN (ASB Neo as we called it, although maybe we should use a new name?) if/when that's brought back.

(Side point: Yeeeeeah, if anyone brings that back, please to be changing the name. Idek wtf I was on when I called it that. But whether or not this happens is going to have to be a separate thread because one game at a time and haha like I'm going to volunteer to lead its revival.)

That said, any other thoughts on the whole shebang? I'd imagine that we'd need an entire forum dedicated to its development (like we did for the ASBN back in the day), so don't worry if we can't quite hammer everything out right now. But definitely feel free to throw in your two cents about anything specific -- including towards how the system would work -- if you've got any change to spare.
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Okay so I'm a gigantic fan of clauses (you know, no OHKO moves, etc. etc.), and I think it could be interesting to basically use clauses to determine how everything works, from how many pokémon a trainer gets to what moves can be used to what level pokémon can be. That way we have more flexibility and don't have to predefine "trainers can have exactly three pokémon in any dungeon." Clauses could even be changed by the DM at any time if they want to spice things up a bit. Though all that may get a bit confusing.

Second comment is it might be better if people are allowed to make up a character for any dungeon they enter, and the DM has the right to refuse any entry for whatever reason. We could do something similar to ASBN where people have a list of pokémon and have to draw from that list when entering a dungeon. Otherwise, they would design the character as though entering an RP. Obviously people could reuse characters if they wish. This invites more "lol I have purple eyes and laser vision" but it also allows for more customizable characters.

Final comment: experience gained during a dungeon could be cumulative with other dungeon runs, but only after the dungeon has been completed. Basically, if you enter your charmander in dungeon x and y simultaneously, it could separately gain 5 exp in dungeon x and 14 exp in dungeon y, and then when both dungeons are finished it would have 19 exp total (effectively making it level 5 with 5 experience towards level 6).

Final final comment: trainers can catch pokémon in dungeons, and that pokémon is added to the member's overall list of pokémon once the dungeon is finished (read: people can use stuff from dungeons in other dungeons once the original dungeon is completed).
Δ

Just piping in to say I don't have a lot to contribute to the whole game mechanics right now, but I recall vBulletin having some pretty neat plugins for forum games, so maybe I could go scout them out for MyBB and we could have a look at them on the test forum, staff and some volunteers? Nothing major of course, just an "I looked at it and I think X".
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

(27th Sep 2012, 02:15 AM)Jax Wrote: Y'know, this reminds me of something a friend of mine and one of the mods over at PE2K mentioned once. (Phantom Kat, if you're reading this, you're awesome.) Basically, they call it the URPG or something along those lines, and as part of the game, players are encouraged to write small stories about a Pokémon catch, and the higher the quality of their story, the more likely they'll actually obtain the Pokémon for the game. While that's a possibility we can incorporate into this game, what I'm getting at is we could encourage players to write fics or create art (or participate in certain threads or areas of the board) for perks. For example, there could be a system that has them write a fic related to their main dungeon character, and the better the fic (or the longer the fic, whichever is easier to determine), the more in-game points/money they can earn.

Lol Phantom Kat xD

I'm all fine and dandy with a URPG-styled writing game. (:

Quote:We could do this (especially if MMO-style dungeons are a thing here), but I'm wondering the same thing bobandbill is: would it be too much like ASBing if we did this a lot? So I'm thinking that if we do allow PvP outside of dungeon threads, we keep it down to a side feature to emphasize that the main part of the game are the dungeon threads, rather than just the ASB-like matches. What do people think there?
How about based it more on roleplaying than statistics? Like have the players RP out a battle in the arena/wherever, and the damage of their Pokemon's attacks will be based off how they write out. Idek....

Quote:Y'know, this reminds me of something a friend of mine and one of the mods over at PE2K mentioned once. (Phantom Kat, if you're reading this, you're awesome.) Basically, they call it the URPG or something along those lines, and as part of the game, players are encouraged to write small stories about a Pokémon catch, and the higher the quality of their story, the more likely they'll actually obtain the Pokémon for the game. While that's a possibility we can incorporate into this game, what I'm getting at is we could encourage players to write fics or create art (or participate in certain threads or areas of the board) for perks. For example, there could be a system that has them write a fic related to their main dungeon character, and the better the fic (or the longer the fic, whichever is easier to determine), the more in-game points/money they can earn.

I like that idea. And besides, that also allows people to do more posts too (and say if we tie it some more with the Fandex, say extra points for people who contribute to that, then that's good too!)
Quote:How about based it more on roleplaying than statistics? Like have the players RP out a battle in the arena/wherever, and the damage of their Pokemon's attacks will be based off how they write out. Idek....
I personally find that method (which is how the likes of sppf and whatever they are teamed up with do it) to be too vague; you get statements like 'it did a lot of damage/only has a bit of health left', and leaves you not knowing how much it'd take to actually knock something out. And larger inconsistencies with how much damage an attack would make from ref to ref. Sure, there should be some freedom with the roleplaying/reffing with battles, but that seems too subjective to me.

That, and as said, we did have an ASB system in place complete with a formula and all. In fact you can already check it out a calculator for it here; it's something I made over my last summer holidays, heh. Still needs a couple minor changes if memory serves (e.g. ensuring some sort of damage is done regardless of how many stat boots in df/sp def the opponent has with weaker attacks) but it works, dangit!

As a side note, with that current system the only base-stats reliance the system uses (besides the obscure attack) is speed; all attacks and whatnot are based on the moves base power/pp, typing, level differences, stat boosts (e.g. swords dance or defence curl affect stuff) and the like matter. But that's another topic. =p

Okay first of all this is completely awesome and actually something I've kind of wished for since forever. Thank you very much for suggesting it, Jax! It's awesome. It's AWESOME.

So I'm gonna be the weird one out and vote no for alts (I agree with pretty much every other opinion expressed here so I'm not really going to touch other subjects that much). I think we should go with the "start over" option for that one. If everyone can just create a character for each dungeon, like Latios suggested, it makes the whole idea of a single, unified game thing kind of moot. In that case, we might just as well just have the old roleplaying forum up. People wouldn't get very attached to their characters, and there would be a lot less challenge when you can custom-make the character for whatever the campaign promises to throw at him/her/it. Allowing people to make another character when their previous character/s have reached x level with their Pokémon or done y dungeons is much more reasonable (and probably necessary, knowing how people's attention spans, inspiration levels, interest levels, and such can fluctuate), but I would personally still prefer being always confined to the character you create in the beginning OR starting more or less from scratch if you want a new one.

The reasons behind this opinion are the following:
- You get a lot more attached to your single character, it gets a lot more fleshed out, and you're much more likely to be careful in creating and playing the character (i.e. less crack roleplaying/characters, less flimsy character decisions, less characters made of flat)
- Character relations are actually possible to accomplish when it's not an always-changing band of adventurers that you then never see again, or see again quite rarely
- Having to maneuver various dungeons with a single character adds a layer of strategy: your character needs to be flexible in their skills, catch a good selection of Pokémon to survive various situations, get useful items, etc. etc. Y'know, like the games we all love.
- Promoting the unity of the game. As in, instead of lots of teeny tiny little games, we have a single game with many adventures, many stories, many different ways to play and interact.

So, what I would suggest is that everyone is confined to a single character, at best two characters (because that seems to be the limit of how many characters a player can actively and meaningfully play). Then, if you wanted a new one, you have to scrap your old character and start with maybe five items/3 pokémon/x exp from the previous character, because maybe it'd be unfair to lose all of your accomplishments. (do characters get exp?)

I mean, you can always get new Pokémon, pretty much. Why would you need new trainers, as well?

Sorry I don't have more to say, I have to get back to reading but I promise to comment the frak out of everything next week!

And yes please please please let this happen!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Hi, I'm someone who has absolutely nothing to do with how the place's progressed in forever, but I just re-found the site and think what you're doing is absolutely awesome, although part of it might be my particular fondness of D&D (and wish-fulfillment for a campaign I designed that was never run).

Regarding items, I like the idea of them, and think that what might work would be a system where you have an allotment of points (a "weight limit", perhaps), and can bring items of up to your limit. I honestly don't think there should be restrictions on items besides maybe in trainer battles (with gentleman's agreements and suchlike) largely because items are basically what makes a trainer a trainer. While I have no idea how you plan to detail statistics for a trainer (STR/DEX/CON/WIS/INT/CHA? THAC0?), they're probably never going to be as strong as their Pokemon. Giving trainers the freedom to use items in unique ways is quite in the spirit of the ASB as well, where Pokemon are encouraged to use their moves in creative and innovative ways. I'm reminded of the sub-optimal Factotum I built, whose major reliance on items made him the Batman of the party. Trainers should have that versatility, I feel.

I agree with Ani that people shouldn't be able to have too many alts, but I think what could be a solution is to not let the points from each character stack, so people grow more attached to the characters that do better and mightn't divest their time so much. Anything more is really the onus of the DM to shape their adventures around the characters involved, such that the players feel more for their characters after each adventure. Of course, if points for shiny stuff don't transfer between characters as well, that's just one more reason for people to devote themselves towards the one character they like best.

And the thing that Ani was talking about: unity; it reminds me of the Forgotten Realms and Living Greyhawk settings in D&D; perhaps consider getting a bunch of people to detail a few historic events and the mood of the thing, then let the DMs build on it and expand on the universe. In that case the fic idea could apply too, with each individual fic fleshing out more information on, perhaps, a character's hometown, which could then be pinpointed on a map or something.

Lastly, this is just throwing something out which I'm sure many potential DMs are already thinking of: non-standard victory conditions. There's just so much potential considering the kinds of scenarios that can be dreamt up. Experience doesn't have to be awarded on the completion of a fight, just upon the achievement of particular goals. A single dungeon or quest-instance can perhaps have two or three long-term goals (get the Golden McGuffin; don't let Princess Expendable die; survive past the third day), and then within a given scenario, short-term; spur-of-the-moment goals, some of which may not necessarily be defeat X (escape from the zombie Tentacruel's grip; deal as much damage to the rampaging Dragonite before it smacks you away). One advantage of persistent, unique characters is that not only the DM but even the players may set goals for themselves, subject to the DM's approval, that are both relevant to the plot and the character (don't hurt a single Snubbull; secretly sabotage an operation you've been tasked to protect). Of course, that last example brings us on to Paranoia, which would work really well in a game with more than one player, when outside of the overarching goal of the quest, the DM can assign each player a specific secret task that's mutually exclusive to the tasks assigned to your teammates.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. What I really mean to say is that you don't have to just think of the ASB battle when thinking of battles here. In any battle where the odds are stacked in one side's favor, the DM can just assign a more forgiving quest goal (possibly to escape), so I think balance in this case can be easily solved by them as well. Also, in the case where players are allowed to set up their own relevant goals, it encourages and rewards roleplaying without having to use the arbitrary damage system.

I'm wondering how trainers will be incorporated into battles. Since focusing the trainer will probably win most battles, I figure positioning has to come more strongly into it. A grid-based system or anything like that, though, would make it less ASB and more tabletop than I'm sure anyone would like.

Just my two cents, really. I know this is completely out of the blue, but I think it's a great idea :)

Well I guess this has approval then. ~ Also hi there, Sentrovasi!
Quote:That said, any other thoughts on the whole shebang? I'd imagine that we'd need an entire forum dedicated to its development (like we did for the ASBN back in the day), so don't worry if we can't quite hammer everything out right now. But definitely feel free to throw in your two cents about anything specific -- including towards how the system would work -- if you've got any change to spare.
You want to make a forum for planning it out then, Jax, or shall I do so sometime today?

(27th Sep 2012, 11:13 AM)bobandbill Wrote: I like that idea. And besides, that also allows people to do more posts too (and say if we tie it some more with the Fandex, say extra points for people who contribute to that, then that's good too!)

Pretty much, yep. \o/ So, awesome! That will be a Thing.

Quote:I personally find that method (which is how the likes of sppf and whatever they are teamed up with do it) to be too vague; you get statements like 'it did a lot of damage/only has a bit of health left', and leaves you not knowing how much it'd take to actually knock something out. And larger inconsistencies with how much damage an attack would make from ref to ref. Sure, there should be some freedom with the roleplaying/reffing with battles, but that seems too subjective to me.

I have to agree with this, tbqh. One of the reasons why I never really wanted to get into SPPf's ASBL. I mean, sure, you'd like to trust your refs, but I like the fact that the ASBN made things rather clear and idiot-proof so that it was extremely difficult for bias to come into play. (Yes, even when there was loophole abuse, it was loophole abuse, not bias.) That and it definitely helps with your strategy if you know how much damage you need to do to knock an opponent out or how much health you have left in order to work out what to do to keep your Pokémon in the match.

I mean, we could do something that's dependent on writing quality/roleplay skills -- like, roleplay-offs or whatnot, but I'd be more comfortable if there was an option to have battles based on stats as well if we're going to do that.

(27th Sep 2012, 07:46 PM)An-chan Wrote: Okay first of all this is completely awesome and actually something I've kind of wished for since forever. Thank you very much for suggesting it, Jax! It's awesome. It's AWESOME.

*high five!*

Quote:So I'm gonna be the weird one out and vote no for alts (I agree with pretty much every other opinion expressed here so I'm not really going to touch other subjects that much). I think we should go with the "start over" option for that one. If everyone can just create a character for each dungeon, like Latios suggested, it makes the whole idea of a single, unified game thing kind of moot. In that case, we might just as well just have the old roleplaying forum up. People wouldn't get very attached to their characters, and there would be a lot less challenge when you can custom-make the character for whatever the campaign promises to throw at him/her/it. Allowing people to make another character when their previous character/s have reached x level with their Pokémon or done y dungeons is much more reasonable (and probably necessary, knowing how people's attention spans, inspiration levels, interest levels, and such can fluctuate), but I would personally still prefer being always confined to the character you create in the beginning OR starting more or less from scratch if you want a new one.

The reasons behind this opinion are the following:
- You get a lot more attached to your single character, it gets a lot more fleshed out, and you're much more likely to be careful in creating and playing the character (i.e. less crack roleplaying/characters, less flimsy character decisions, less characters made of flat)
- Character relations are actually possible to accomplish when it's not an always-changing band of adventurers that you then never see again, or see again quite rarely
- Having to maneuver various dungeons with a single character adds a layer of strategy: your character needs to be flexible in their skills, catch a good selection of Pokémon to survive various situations, get useful items, etc. etc. Y'know, like the games we all love.
- Promoting the unity of the game. As in, instead of lots of teeny tiny little games, we have a single game with many adventures, many stories, many different ways to play and interact.

So, what I would suggest is that everyone is confined to a single character, at best two characters (because that seems to be the limit of how many characters a player can actively and meaningfully play). Then, if you wanted a new one, you have to scrap your old character and start with maybe five items/3 pokémon/x exp from the previous character, because maybe it'd be unfair to lose all of your accomplishments. (do characters get exp?)

All of these are good points (and kinda sorta what I want as well), so! All I can do is keep the discussion on the topic of alts/how many characters a player can keep open as we go forward with the planning. Sound cool?

(27th Sep 2012, 08:22 PM)Sentrovasi Wrote: although part of it might be my particular fondness of D&D (and wish-fulfillment for a campaign I designed that was never run).

Inorite? This fandom is practically perfect for it too.

Quote:Regarding items, I like the idea of them, and think that what might work would be a system where you have an allotment of points (a "weight limit", perhaps), and can bring items of up to your limit.

This makes me think of character sheets, which honestly I think would be mindblowingly awesome because I have totally never wanted to stat my characters what are you talking about. This admittedly might get a bit complicated for some players, but I suppose it'd depend on what we'd include and how we'd work out the procedures for determining stats. Like, the weight limit thing would totally be dependent on the character you create too. It'd make more sense for a bulky character to be able to lift and carry a lot of items (but maybe be slowed down as a result or face certain obstacles that are harder for the way they're statted), whereas a thinner, smaller, weaker character (with a different stat distribution) might only be able to carry so much.

Ooooor we can just go with what you were saying and give everyone points that you can earn/roll for in order to determine how many items you've got on you when you go in.

Quote:I honestly don't think there should be restrictions on items besides maybe in trainer battles (with gentleman's agreements and suchlike) largely because items are basically what makes a trainer a trainer.

Fair 'nough there.

Quote:I agree with Ani that people shouldn't be able to have too many alts, but I think what could be a solution is to not let the points from each character stack, so people grow more attached to the characters that do better and mightn't divest their time so much. Anything more is really the onus of the DM to shape their adventures around the characters involved, such that the players feel more for their characters after each adventure.

*high five* This and what Anni said was pretty much why the original post mentioned that you'd only have one character and maybe a handful of alts. It'd be interesting from a player's perspective to have one main character that you have to figure out what to do with. Of course, there's also the risk that you eventually want to rewrite your character or create a completely new one and dump the old one (because you no longer want to keep them), but I'd imagine we could implement a system that lets you dump a character but keep the goods. Sorta like starting over in the ASBN if you get bored or something.

Quote:Experience doesn't have to be awarded on the completion of a fight, just upon the achievement of particular goals.

Ooh, that could work. Especially if a dungeon gets lengthy and/or you end up taking months to complete it but sort of want your Charmeleon now.

Quote:I'm wondering how trainers will be incorporated into battles. Since focusing the trainer will probably win most battles, I figure positioning has to come more strongly into it. A grid-based system or anything like that, though, would make it less ASB and more tabletop than I'm sure anyone would like.

That's a good question that I'm sure we'll get into more when we start to develop the battling system. Hate to cut that thought short, but the question of what people think about how to factor in trainers (whether they want trainers to be treated a little like Pokémon the way we've done in the ASBN in the past due to shenanigans or if we want a more traditionally tabletop spin on things) could get pretty lengthy.

(1st Oct 2012, 04:37 AM)bobandbill Wrote: You want to make a forum for planning it out then, Jax, or shall I do so sometime today?

Depends on who gets to it first after this question:

Where should the forum go, folks? Paint and Pencil or its own section? Either way, keep in mind that this will probably have a ridiculous amount of subforums.

Own section, ala the Magazine imo.

I agree, it should have its own section, and then just have the planning subforum in it for now. Then, when we eventually figure it out, we can just create the appropriate subforums in the existing section. Potentially, we could even leave the planning forum there for feedback and/or rule tuning, so that we can more effectively deal with the aforementioned abusable loopholes the ASBN had. But yes definitely its own section I'd say.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Just my extra 2 cents on the character issue, I thought of an idea that'd allow alts but have it such that it isn't like an option people do when they're bored of their current one. Basically the idea is that everyone starts with 1 main character and has 1 character 'space' which act like game files. By unlocking more spaces, they can create more characters. Of course, the criteria to unlock a space would be very difficult, like maybe buying one for a hefty sum of money/points or completing x dungeons? Characters share items belonging to that main account and the only difference is the Pokemon. This brings to my next concept idea of character classes like maybe a villainous member, a Ranger, a Hunter, a Merchant etc. Character classes makes things interesting when each class is unique and has its pros and cons. Then, tag battles can happen, which is very much fun, with two different characters on both sides. Since we're following D&D anyway, character classes can have certain abilities ie a Hunter has a slightly higher chance of encountering rare/Shiny Pokemon, a Merchant has a higher chance of finding items or Pokemon with items.

That is all, it's up to y'all to decide whether to incorporate this If you like. I'd personally find it interesting to see happen. X3

http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/forumdi...php?fid=26

Made a thread for the name making, but leaving the rest to you other people, including Jax who probably wants to say more than me about her own idea. =p But feel free to make threads about it all!