Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

EVENTS

Well let's face it, stuff is going fairly slowly on the forums.

So why not some forum events? If you want to suggest something for the forum to have as an event for the heck of it, go for it. Stuff can be anything, from say magazine based events to a Mafia game (those have always been fun) to a writing event, etc. Feel free to tie it to other things too like other events or Wynaut or so forth.

Gogogo!
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Another Mafia game would be fun. The last game it was going fine but the host didn't post the next directions. D: Yeah, besides gathering interest for Mafia again I'm hoping whoever will host it will see through it until the end.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

Yay for a response! C'mon guys, if you don't say you want stuff then you can't get it. =p

Any objections to a mafia games, or offer to run it? I could possibly do this soon enough, but if someone with more interest wants to run it then speak up. Also wouldn't mind seing who else would be interested given it needs a few participants to be viable.

I would be interested in playing in a mafia game! I don't have enough mafia-related experience to host it, but yes I would play I think!
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

Keep posting if you have interest in the Mafia event then! Unless you a bot, in which case you are not allowed from playing. =p

Given Jax's new thread on converting fics to ebooks, maybe we ought to have an event centred around that?

I feel like the fanfiction/fanart section could use more love in general because it's so empty not that I'm failing at helping with that or anything. Would it help to bring in an event for reviewing, like a reviewing blitz or rewards for reviewing in general? Or is it just that we don't have active writers at the moment?

Also, seconding the mafia idea. In part because spoilers! I was the killer last time and didn't get to have fun with it. :( We need to have, like, a regular mafia thing so that I finally get the chance to take out my frustrations be a high-functioning sociopath play the game from the other side of the metaphorical coin.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

The mafia game is awesome and we should do more of it. *nods*

Perfect excuse time: the birthday of the BBS is on the 21st of this month (I think, I may have to double-check that), on which date our beloved forum shall be turning three. It's the perfect occasion for mafia games, posting blitzes, reviewing blitzes, and creative type events like art competitions or rallies to post existing fics and such. We can build a whole elaborate thing where you collect stuff, like points or jewels as we previously have, to exchange for some level of awesomeness.

Either way, a mafia game is a must. If nobody else wants to run one, I can volunteer to do so. It's always more fun to be on the potentially-getting-murdered side of things, but somebody's gotta run it, and I've taken part plenty enough times to take up that mantel this time around.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

The bit at the bottom of the forum's index page reminds us of the event, so that's useful!

I guess we're agreed on mafia then. What about other stuff?

I like the posting blitz idea; just need some motivation for it of some sort. I'd also like something related to the creative section. Not so sure about a reviewing competition unless that's tied to posting stuff, because... well, without stuff being posted there's not much to review!

Yay for Mafia! n_n Apart from that, yeah I agree that a Posting Blitz would be cool since it would result in more threads and more posts and those are always good.
say my name & every colour illuminates;
we are shining & we will never be afraid again

icon credit | florence and taylor are amazing

Yay for Mafia, I might even manage to join in this year. Also yes posting blitz, please let me know if my admin/hosting powers are required for anything associated to this.

Could we get some prompts in for art and writing, perhaps? One per day or something? An-chan already has a cool drabble thread going, and I would also like to suggest something writing-related. I had started a blog with my friend to see if we could reach a certain word count together. Do you think we could aim to fill a thread with 25,000 words (or less!), NaNo style, between a bunch of us? Something like that?
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

Okay

MafiaConfirmed. Possibly hosted by Anni?

Posting Blitz
Has some support and sensical to have it too because yay activity. Question is what sort of incentive to use for it?

Art/Writing based event/s
Possibly a daily challenge of some sort? Maybe a week-long challenge instead? Or both!
Maybe also a 'post as many finished works' event too as I know a bunch of us already have stuff written here that isn't actually posted.

Quote:Do you think we could aim to fill a thread with 25,000 words (or less!), NaNo style, between a bunch of us? Something like that?
Hmm, personally I'd prefer stuff to be posted in separate threads rather than just the one (harder for reviewing, etc).

Yeah, basically what I meant was to have a fic/art posting event combined with a reviewing event so that they would sort of enforce each other. We should encourage people to post their finished works, definitely, and even some of the more unfinished ones, so that they (we?) may work on finishing them. (i.e. I would post Mama's Boy since it was lost in the reboot again, for instance).

BUT now I also have come up with another idea to propose to you. Recently, or namely last month, Equestria Daily hosted a Newbie Artist Training Grounds event, where there was basically a daily prompt intended to call people to do pony drawings even if they had never tried art before. We could, essentially, do a similar thing, if maybe shorter (21.-23.9., maybe, or the week of the birthday, or something), where there is a daily prompt posted and then everyone who wants to can post a picture, regardless of their general skill level in art. The daily prompt could be boosted with some general hints, helpful links to tutorials, and other such encouraging material. We could do a similar thing with drabbles and/or very short stories for writing, to basically call people into trying out things they may not have tried before. It could be called something like "Try a New Style" week or something, maybe, so that even the more experienced artists and writers we have can try out something they haven't before and just see what happens.

Any thoughts on that?

I think the thing where we'd try to get so-and-so-many words in a thread might be interesting, but in that case I think it should be a collection of short stories or a continuation story or something of the sort (I'm not sure if that was implied or if you just meant to post things until there's enough words?)

But definitely what we need to do is rally all our creative people into posting their creations. I am guilty of withholding my stuff, too, so it's a good chance to make a reform and actually post things again...

Do we want there to be any perks, though? Like things you collect for participating?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Quote:Yeah, basically what I meant was to have a fic/art posting event combined with a reviewing event so that they would sort of enforce each other. We should encourage people to post their finished works, definitely, and even some of the more unfinished ones, so that they (we?) may work on finishing them. (i.e. I would post Mama's Boy since it was lost in the reboot again, for instance).
Coolio, any objections to this then?
Quote:BUT now I also have come up with another idea to propose to you. Recently, or namely last month, Equestria Daily hosted a Newbie Artist Training Grounds event, where there was basically a daily prompt intended to call people to do pony drawings even if they had never tried art before. We could, essentially, do a similar thing, if maybe shorter (21.-23.9., maybe, or the week of the birthday, or something), where there is a daily prompt posted and then everyone who wants to can post a picture, regardless of their general skill level in art. The daily prompt could be boosted with some general hints, helpful links to tutorials, and other such encouraging material. We could do a similar thing with drabbles and/or very short stories for writing, to basically call people into trying out things they may not have tried before. It could be called something like "Try a New Style" week or something, maybe, so that even the more experienced artists and writers we have can try out something they haven't before and just see what happens.

Any thoughts on that?
Worth a go, and something to have in conjunction with a 'post your works/review stuff' spree as well.
Quote:Do we want there to be any perks, though? Like things you collect for participating?
That would be ideal; only question is what. Would it be possible and worthwhile to add in one of those points systems again? Emblems were possible but that requires us to make them all and a problem before lied in that aspect of it.

Kelly, do you know any sort of solution to this? I can take a look over the weekend too on what addons might help promote stuff...

(11th Sep 2012, 04:37 PM)An-chan Wrote: BUT now I also have come up with another idea to propose to you. Recently, or namely last month, Equestria Daily hosted a Newbie Artist Training Grounds event, where there was basically a daily prompt intended to call people to do pony drawings even if they had never tried art before. We could, essentially, do a similar thing, if maybe shorter (21.-23.9., maybe, or the week of the birthday, or something), where there is a daily prompt posted and then everyone who wants to can post a picture, regardless of their general skill level in art. The daily prompt could be boosted with some general hints, helpful links to tutorials, and other such encouraging material. We could do a similar thing with drabbles and/or very short stories for writing, to basically call people into trying out things they may not have tried before. It could be called something like "Try a New Style" week or something, maybe, so that even the more experienced artists and writers we have can try out something they haven't before and just see what happens.

Any thoughts on that?

I would absolutely friggin love something like this. I would also be interested in helping to run it/come up with prompts/etc. The EQD thing was amazing.

OKAY This is a summation post of what will happen! Object or suffer in silence.

Start date is the 21st (or well, two days from this post roughly), and it'll last a week.

Mafia Game!

A game shall be run over the course of a week (give or take however long it takes for people to figure out who is guilty). There will be a thread made on the 21st ~ GMT or thereabouts, and about a day for people to sign up. To be run by An-chan or myself if she is unable to (unless someone else is particularly keen on hosting this).

Posting Blitz!
Basically: make posts for a week, and the person with the most points going by the current system shown in your postbit wins! (Said system also rewards new threads made a bit more than just posts atm). I would probably reset that when it begin again so everyone is on a level playing field.

On that note, people would also get extra points for posts in the Magazine section and contributing to the writing/art events listed below as well.

Probably would try to cook up some nice perk for a winner, like an emblem or a fancy userbar/etc. Make suggestions for what you want! Maybe extra points as well, which would be useful if we go use that Shop system addon too.

*IF* I can get my wifi working I may be even put up some of my shiny Pokemon (I have a lot so people can choose!) as a bribe prize for the best few finishers. =p For BW trades mind (or B2W2 as that is also out soon) as I don't see me fixing it for 4th gen games but I can always transfer.

Writing and Art Prompts! (Daily)

Every day there will be some sort of prompt challenge for both writing and art. The focus will be getting people to try something different (a 'Try a New Style' week so to speak).

Latios likely hosting at least some of this.

BONUS: I propose that any work involving Wyanut and/or Wobbufett created can also be part of a competition; the one voted as the best will get a feature on the magazine. How's that for free advertising for your work!?

Post/Review your works spree!

Post anything and everything you have already created for the forums! Furthermore, review each others work in the process over the course of a week.

Anything satisfying the above (note: minimum standards must be met; so reviews like 'I like this so kool' get deleted as spam rather than counted as a post) get bonus points for the review blitz (say, worth 2 or 3 posts rather than one). I'd be also inclined that the one who reviews the most gets a separate prize as well.

Anything else wanted? More comments on the above? You only have two days to suggest them now!