Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

NaNoWriMo

I'm going to be writing about small horses rather than six-winged angel/dragons. This quarter is really brutal and I don't have the motivation to write something complicated and dark. *nods*

Although my writing tends to get complicated and dark anyway, even when the source material is pastel colored and cutesy! *nudges R-9WM Mastermind, Flight, and The Perfect Team under the rug*
Δ

Hello everyone.

It begins.

Yes, I am continuing a story I already have begun work on but eh, guess I'm a rebel so what. Whatever makes me write again is fine by me.

Hmm I need a name change here.
The username is a lie. I am Shrike Alvaron, Flamestar is so 2011.

I've hit the halfway point! At the moment, I'm standing firmly at 26,673 words and going strong because thankfully I finally got to where the real action in the story starts =_= I'm very bad at getting things to happen, it always takes me forever to set up my world and my characters and the situation and the magic system and all of that junk. But now I'm up to where my main character has escaped her supernatural captors and is struggling her way through a forest in the middle of the night in a storm, the other main character has left in search of her, and the truth about magic is about to dawn on the former. So, doing well on this front.

How is everyone else doing?

Also, do you guys have any interest in doing weekend/evening sprints on the channel? Sprints are good for your word count, and also for concentration. Maybe we could all help each other like that. If you're having a lot of difficulties, we can also do prompt type stuff of some variety... Or you can simply pop up on the channel and we can all brainstorm and be helpful! :3 Maybe?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Around 5,700 words (not concentrating on the 50,000 word count like last year, just see if I can get some projects done). Finished my Ladystuck Exchange fic (Homestuck), which is more or less a character study on Aradia. Somehow Vriska and Tavros sneaked in, though that might have to do with the recent Homestuck update haha. As for my FMA fic, able to get back writing some parts here and there but still totally unsure the direction I want to take it and the action scenes.

Sprints sound fun, though I don't know if it'll do good as I'm like "don't want to rush the actions scenes!" and still trying to figure out a few things. x_x Guess I can try one or two and see what happens.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

I have been sprinting! I am currently visiting my best friend in another English city, and we've been NaNoing in cafés like Starbucks and Costa. We do little sprints, like five to ten minutes. It's great for word counts, especially as all the travelling and excitement (I only get to see her twice a year) has knocked me back a few days. If I still manage to get 2k in a day though, I'll be good.

Been using Google Drive (which is the new name for Google Docs) on my iPad, as I didn't want to bring my laptop on a six hour train journey and traipse it across Manchester constantly. It's working pretty well - I have a bluetooth keyboard, there's no word count on Google Docs but I've just been using the Word Count Validator on the NaNo site where it asks you to copy and paste your novel. We had to buy a mobile hotspot for this purpose of course, because there's not really such a thing as reliable free wifi in the UK. >__>

Jade's typing on an Alphasmart Neo2 that I bought her. It's pretty fabulous.
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

Hey. Hey guys. Guess what!

Your Average Per Day
Words Written Today
Target Word Count
Target Average Words Per Day
Total Words Written
Words Remaining

I won! There's still maybe 10-15k words more to the story, so I'll be writing more still, but yay! Now I only gotta wait for validation to begin on the 25th... It's not a new record, but I'm very pleased with myself.

How are the rest of you doing? Even if you're behind with your word count, or if you gave up at some point, it's not time wasted - any words towards writing a novel are better than no words at all. As long as you do your best, you can definitely be proud of what you accomplished. It would be pretty unfair to hold people to the same standards if one is unemployed, the other a student, and the third has two different jobs at once... So, instead of saying how you're doing by the official rules, how about what your progress looks like considering your personal situation and goals?

Also good luck to everyone still writing!

Whooooaaa Anni, congratulations on winning already (again)!

I'm at 28,491 when I should be at 33,333 today, but it's not too bad; I'm aiming for 2,000 to 2,500 words a day now to see if I can finish before 30th October. (Because I'll have a Wii U to play with! Aaaand a massive update to download apparently...)

The story is progressing exactly how I think it should be, at the pace I want, but it's very likely that I won't actually finish it when I hit 50,000 words, just like you!
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

At over 9,000 words so far. Urgh I'm almost finished with the action scene I'm on (might need to rewrite it but I'll do that when editing) but I'm stuck on how I'll have one particular character escape. Already thought how I'll have the next scene go so maybe I'll write that first and then see if I'm able to figure that problem out. I probably would have finished this story already if I wasn't headdesking the action scene so much, LOL.
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

This comic seems relevant.

Show ContentSpoiler:
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Is anyone doing Camp NaNoWriMo in April? I'm not officially, but... I will be trying to write as much as I can!

I have all of the Rayearth feels and I'm sorry I haven't been around as much because of all the time dedicated to writing fanfic for that. xD;

What is the camp thing exactly? I got an email thinger but I don't really know what it is. Do you write with a couple other people in a virtual "camp" or something?
Δ

(18th Mar 2013, 11:27 PM)Latios Wrote: What is the camp thing exactly? I got an email thinger but I don't really know what it is. Do you write with a couple other people in a virtual "camp" or something?

Pretty much NaNo but during an earlier month. It's fairly recent (I think last year) and I think there's going to be one or two of those.

Not sure if I'll join in Camp NaNo this year. I am thinking over a couple of my planned fics, so if I can be able to figure out the plot for those I might last minute haha.

I'm thinking of trying to write around 1k words per day during April, but I'm none too hopeful because every deadline I have this year falls in April, and on top of that, I'm going to basically be working two jobs... Soooo yeah. I'm trying to keep my writing up otherwise, though, so in that sense it'll be a good way of trying to keep my word count up. Otherwise I'm writing maybe 1000-2000 words per week now, which is kind of pathetic really. In my defense though there's school. And stuff. So it's not my fault *>>.

Still working on Electromancer, on that note. It's actually slowly becoming more of a real novel, instead of a NaNo hey-let's-change-the-personality-of-this-character-because-I-got-bored-with-her-and-overhaul-the-plot-midway-through-so-there's-no-continuity-to-speak-of novel! It's very satisfying, but rewriting it is actually a lot slower than I expected it to be. Hopefully the editing that follows will be faster.

By the way, is anyone else already thinking about what plot bunnies to save for real NaNo, or is that just me?

Repurposing this thread to a generic NaNoWriMo thread since I didn't think it was worth making a new one... this one hasn't disappeared off the front page of the creative lounge!

So! NaNoWriMo 2013!

Plans, targets, etc?

I've got a couple of things I'm undecided on, so here are my potential stories...

- Post-apocalyptic Pokémon in spaaaaace. I haven't really thought a lot about it except for small details that don't matter so much, and a really hilariously named AI system that regulates everything in the utopian domed cities.

- Last year I wrote the "script" (novel format because I am balls at scripts) for my one-day webcomic Skywriter. This year I might try to write the script for the one I have in progress that I'm not going to point you at because some of the first pages are embarrassing.

- The second half of the Magic Knight Rayearth fanfic I wrote in 2010, since I've posted all of that plus some new chapters on AO3 and I've run out of steam.

- Some various shorter Rayearth fanfics it turned out I promised to my other fandom group. I don't remember what they are so evidently that might not be happening. xD

I'll be aiming for the usual 50,000 words. This year is the first year I don't have Open University assignments during any of November. Yeahhhhhh!

So! You guys! What are your plans? Happycbig

(Staff, I'mma go ahead and stick this for now, feel free to unstick if you don't think it deserves sticking.)

I plan to actually make some decent progress on my current fic. I might write a little story about a gym leader who is tired of his job, but that's just an idea in my head. It's also just an idea to work on something else for a while, to refresh my brain and possibly make it easier to write Alien Poverty.

This will be my first time participating in NaNoWriMo, so I don't know the detailed rules. I'll aim for 20,000 words since it's my first time and I'll be stuck at my first quarter of college.

Most likely I'll use NaNo to finish off my FMA Big Bang fic I'm doing this year. Already thinking of trying to get to 10K words before November, so 10-15K in November depending how long I want the story to be (has to be at least 20K to fit the Big Bang requirements). Probably a medieval AU Homestuck fic too if I can get my FMA story finished beforehand, but we'll see.

I might use NaNo to finish off the Pokemon story I'm currently working on. I don't use NaNo to start new stories because then I'd just have too many projects going on. I use the atmosphere it creates, where people "compete" and cheer on each other, to motivate myself to get some writing done.

If I finish the current story, then I'll just move on to something else. What that something else is depends on if I get some inspiration for a particular fandom on November 1st.

I just realized just how big 20,000 words are. I mean, I have seven completed chapters, and that's just over 13,000 words. I'm going to have to kick it into high gear if I'm going to make it. Luckily it hasn't started yet, so I can prepare. That's assuming I have enough free time that is...

I am, as before, aiming at finishing the story I'm working on. That'll probably mean a bit over 50k, if old signs are anything go by. I'd like to aim higher, maybe 75k, but I won't have a lot of time to dedicate to NaNo this year, so we'll see. It's not actually as hard as you might think it is beforehand, but there are a few tricks to reaching your goals. First of all, NaNo is an exercise in accomplishing, so you pretty much can't do it unless you turn off your internal editor. Let the story flow out of you and try not to pay attention to wording, punctuation, minor inconsistencies, etc. Those are easy to fix and edit out, but first you need to have something to edit, if that makes sense.

As for my actual plans... Well, I had a story I'd been considering writing for a loooong time, and was saving for NaNo, but seeing as how I suddenly started writing it two weeks ago or so, that's not going to work out. I don't know if I'll try to finish the first part of it before November and then do the second part for NaNo, since that wouldn't really be cheating... but I also have a couple of other ideas I could do, many of which have been in running for NaNos before. They are:
1) story about abandoned/runaway kids who live in a mine all by themselves and then a treasure hunter appears and shenanigans ensue
2) a semi-alternate history story where people invented magic and a mage war that took place around the year 900 AD has left the world as a mist-covered wasteland. People live on floating islands that aimlessly fly about the world as a result of the last spell the mages ever cast before perishing in the war. Main character is a girl of Navajo/Chinese descent, being trained to be an interpreter for trade relations, who ventures to go under the mist to find her little brother
3) a re-write of Traitors, my first-ever NaNo
4) something totally different. Scifi, for a change? I always do fantasy, so maybe it'd be good to do something else for a change. It's just so hard to come up with scifi ideas, somehow...

So, yeah, I don't know yet. Luckily there's still plenty of time to choose and do some preliminary planning. I find that planning out some scenes and the characters beforehand really boosts my word count, especially in the beginning, because I'm brimming with ideas to write.

So, it's getting close to the end of NaNo. How are you guys holding off?

Me I was able to make it to 15K, though I skipped writing today half due to mulling over the next scene of my fic and half my mind decides to be anguish today (been playing Pokemon X to distract myself) :x I believe I'm getting close to the end of the story, though!