Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

NaNoWriMo

For book covers, do you mean the "30 covers, 30 days" thing the NaNo forums run, or just making a cover for the novel you end up with on the 30th?

Every year I've made at least a banner for my novel, and a couple of times even dabbled at a proper cover (just in case I got one of those free proof copies they don't offer anymore, or didn't last year, anyway), and yeah, it's surprisingly difficult. I'm not even a hobbyist graphic designer myself, I just know how to draw, pretty much, so it's even more of a trick for me to figure that sort of thing out...

Are any of you (besides Camisado and Latias, because I know you guys are) interested in word wars? We could organize some bigger word wars here in the thread and on the chan if there's interest, and boost everyone's word counts like that. Other stuff we can do is either prompts, stuff to clarify your plans (for instance, there's these character sheet thingies that you fill in the 31 days leading up to November to plan and to get into the swing of writing, I can probably find links to stuff like that) and other things. Are there any writing events/helpful things/online gettogethers like that people would be interested in?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I have only ever made one cover for the first novel I finished because I wanted to make it look nice on my eReader. It was pretty basic though. You don't need to feel pressured to make a cover as it's not part of the challenge, but you are certainly most welcome to add them!

An-chan, I have collated quite a lot of character sheets, questionnaires and other challenges during my travels around the writing section of StumbleUpon and Tumblr so I'd be happy to help with some events leading up to NaNoWriMo and contributing other ideas to it! There are some truly cool character surveys like "what does your character keep in their pockets" and "how would your character act in X situation" and stuff. Those as quick daily prompts would be pretty cool, I think.
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

(26th Sep 2012, 08:29 PM)Camisado Wrote: Those as quick daily prompts would be pretty cool, I think.

Agreed. I think daily prompts are gonna be a thing from now on, what with the training grounds going on right now and NaNo coming up! I am personally very okay with this.

I am totally down for word wars. That's, like, how I got a huge chunk of AEM done over the summer.

Also! I'm posting here for another reason! I recently found this, and it sort of looks like a lot of fun. I'm thinking of doing it for my NaNo project (besides other things, like AEM) and allowing folks to give me feedback in real time or to kick me in the pants when I'm being lazy. And then I realized that it'd be sort of cool if we all had the option of doing that for each other. Like, if we're on the chan, and one of us says, "Okay! Going to do my chunk of writing for tonight," we can watch their progress and/or kick them in the pants if we realize they need a good push to avoid falling behind.

Or, well, I just sort of wanted to see if anyone would be interested in letting me people watch them write. Because that's not creepy or anything.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

Like everyone else, word wars I'm down with. As for the writing stream, that might actually a fun idea. For a while I actually been thinking since artists due livestream of their art progress all the time, why can't writers do the same? Kind of nervous since I'm notorious for awkward sentencing, but a good kick in the pants would do me good since this month I haven't been writing too much like I suppose to (oh, fanfic projects). D:
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

I'm sorry but I don't think I know what's a word war.... XD

And yes, the daily prompts would be totally helpful as guides. And I'm probably gonna just conjure up a relatively spiffy banner for my novel if I have the time. Or maybe bully a friend to make one for me. XD;

@Jax: I use Google Docs for all of my writing documents so I wouldn't mind doing that actually xD That'll be as cool as an art live stream so, totes supporting that idea. And I wouldn't find that creepy, unless there's some nutcase breathing down every letter I type. -shivers-

Well good sir, a word war is when we say something like "let's write for 20 minutes starting on the hour" and then we all write as much as we can and report back to each other with how much we wrote in that time. Like a fun and encouraging competition!
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

I'm down for word wars and prompts/challenges/aides/etc. as well (we could even do the traditional NaNo "shovel of death" or whatever it is!), though most of the word wars I've done were longer-term; over on TCoD, for example, we'd divide ourselves into three or so teams, keep wordcount widgets in the first post of the annual NaNo thread, and see which team had the highest total wordcount by the end of the month. So a large-scale, prolonged word war might be kind of fun in addition to shorter sprints like the ones you guys mentioned, maybe.

That "author livestream" is a really bangin' idea! I don't know that I'd be up for doing it myself—I don't even like telling anyone what I'm working on before I finish it, that's how afraid of disappointing people I am :P—but I would totally watch other people if they wanted to try it. And who knows, maybe I'll feel less chicken a ways into November!
Altered Origin
fanart, fanfics, fan rambles and assorted random crap

The Phoenixdex
so many fakemans aaaaaaa halp

(27th Sep 2012, 11:57 AM)Camisado Wrote: Well good sir, a word war is when we say something like "let's write for 20 minutes starting on the hour" and then we all write as much as we can and report back to each other with how much we wrote in that time. Like a fun and encouraging competition!
I see! How delightful! So, will a theme be given or will it be freestyled? (:

You can do either, pretty much. I personally prefer freestyle word wars (and shorter than 20 minutes, in general - my favorite is 5-10 minutes, otherwise it gets a bit too stressful for me), but we can do optional prompts or even give people a word war prompt list so you can choose a prompt each time and cross it over so it gets trickier as you run out of options. Great for coaxing that creativity out of you, amirite? ;D

Also, personally, I'm going to be the odd one out again and say I really don't want to do the livestream thing, personally. I'm relatively uncomfortable letting people see me draw, and even more so letting people see how I write. Somehow, it just feels like a personal thing, and I prefer to do it in my own peace. I'm also very shy about showing unfinished work to anyone (for instance, I don't really ever post NaNo excerpts anywhere), so there's that. And then I'm just uncomfortable with Google Docs overall. I never use it unless I absolutely have to. And, yes, this would be a tinfoil hat thing, because basically ever since that atrocious Google Chrome EULA I've avoided letting anything where the copyright would be mine pass through anything of theirs, like Gmail or Google Docs. So, I'll pass, but I could of course comment on what the rest of you are working on and such, if you want to do the whole shebang.

So, I'm thinking, starting next month, we could do at least a weekly prompt/writing exercise type thing for characters and planning. Anyone want to take up the 1st of October (as in, do you have any exercise or prompt or character sheet in mind that you thin would do well for a beginning), or shall I do it?

I can come up with prompts and exercises for everyone to do! It doesn't take too long, I just have to remember to do it, lol. *sticks a sticky note on his screen*
Δ

Hm... if anyone's interested, I have this book of "situations" and related questionnaires that you can envision your characters in—stuff that's intentionally likely unrelated to your actual story, the better to get you thinking strictly about the character's personality, history and behavior without the distraction of the plot proper. Stuff like "how would they behave at a party full of strangers" or "what would they do if a meteor was hurtling toward earth", things like that. I could post a few of those, maybe? I'll grab the book and see about getting some ready in the next day or so.
Altered Origin
fanart, fanfics, fan rambles and assorted random crap

The Phoenixdex
so many fakemans aaaaaaa halp

That sounds good tbh, heh. If I have time I might even try some pre-nano events even though I won't be doing nano.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Alright! October is here, the NaNo forums have restarted, and everyone (at least me) is getting filled with sweet anticipation! We should probably start off lightly at first, so let's try something quick and easy. Event number one shall be as follows (totally just stole this idea from Latios btw):

1. I will start by asking a question on what your character would do in a given situation.

2. You answer the question (and remember to tell us the name of said character so we can maybe keep track of who's who). If you don't have a character yet, or you're not very far in developing them, you can just make something up. Maybe it'll be useful to you later, maybe not. You never know. Let's hope it is, though!

3. At the end of your post, you ask the next person a question about their character in a similar vein.

Ta-da! We get a chain of questions and responses that we can keep up for as long as we'd like. (We could make it into a separate thread, even, if you'd like.)

The first question is this: What would your character do if they realized they have some homework due at 7 AM the following morning and it was already midnight?

Also, I'd like to impose this little plot exercise on all of you who have a plot: try to squeeze the whole plot into three relatively simple sentences!

Can non Nanos participate in these exercises? Because while I don't have a lot of time to write I'm a bit of a sucker for character building (it's the whole reason I like to RP).
Catfish

oh my gosh it's AMY *glomps*

Yes, it's perfectly allowed for anyone and everyone to take part. You don't have to be doing NaNo to flail about and do story planning in October. So, as long as you don't mind most of the people in the thread talking about NaNo, then by all means, do take part. The more the merrier, right? :3 And it's always cool to get more input/criticism/such, should people post bits to be judged.

So yes please participate!

Whelp nobody is participating. :<

Let's use Wes he is a cool guy.
Quote:The first question is this: What would your character do if they realized they have some homework due at 7 AM the following morning and it was already midnight?
Besides wondering why he has homework in the first place, he wouldn't care a smidgen. He would just go to school the next day and try to get out of it one way or another, by say stealing someone else's answers. If he had Espeon with him he'd get him to help out with that too, or even convince the teacher there was no homework in the first place.

What is your character's dream job?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

My main character for this year, Awinita "Winnie" Clarke, wants to be a mage, particularly working with plants. She also wants a family, though, with lots of children, so she's a little conflicted about that at times. She went to a fancy-schmancy magic school, though, and is very gifted, being the (abandoned) daughter of one of the most famous mages of all time. When she was a kid, she wanted to be a healing mage, but it turns out she has no skills in that whatsoever, so she abandoned the plan before even going to an upper school.

Who's the most important person to your character?

Only two days until NaNo! How's everyone's planning going? Have your plans changed a lot? Or did you scrap your original ideas entirely?

My plot just experienced a relatively major upheaval today when a cool element occurred to me. It also makes my villain a little bit more villainy, which is not a bad thing in this case. Mostly it's all stayed the same, more or less, during the whole planning phase. I haven't had enough time to think about it to overdevelop my ideas and grow tired of them this year, lol (it's happened to me every year up until now, actually, so it's kind of miracle almost). Characters are beginning to shape up to some degree, but they'll probably experience several overhauls during writing in any case, so...

How about y'all?

Have decided I'll most likely write several short and longer stories for this year's NaNo. One of them is going to be for Ladystuck Exchange (gift exchange with stories celebrating the Homestuck lady characters). Got my assignment and already decided which prompt I'll do. I probably might go back to my FMA fic 1:10 to Central as I totally need to finish that one and this might be my chance before I'll get distracted by other projects again, lol. Other works I'm not sure yet.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]