Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

NaNoWriMo

Guys! Hello! It's time for the token NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) thread!

In this thread:
  • What's your NaNoWriMo.org username, so we can all totally be buddies?
  • What ideas do you have for your novel, so far?
  • If your target isn't 50,000 words this year, what other goals do you have?
  • What's your NaNoWriMo history like? What have you written before? How many times have you participated?
  • And other things you would like to discuss about NaNoWriMo.
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

NaNoWriMo YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! It's so not any time soon at all though. D:

But it's going to be SO AWESOME!

Username: txteclipse
Ideas: none yet. Fantasy. There will be characters and a plot.
NaNo history: I've participated since 2009. Never won though; my best record was 30,000 words in 2010.

I WILL WIN THIS YEAR

I'm really looking forward to it, too. It's like... besides Christmas, it's the only other cool thing that happens during the winter (besides some awesome people appearing but that's not necessarily a guaranteed-to-be-annual thing so anyway). It gets me through the dark, depressing months of no light and too much school stuff. I love NaNo.

To steal txty's format here, let me be brief, because this thread will certainly see plenty enough text from me, ahem.

Username: An-chan (right? I can't remember)
Ideas: Oooh, I have several to choose from. One is a thing I mean to write every year but end up dumping for another, shinier idea every time. It's about these orphaned/runaway kids who live in a mine that has radiation toxic to adults and then stuff happens and it's kind Peterpanish but not at all. Other ideas include a fantasy where fake gods pretend to be real ones and a fantasy where doing magic warps the spirits of things and shenanigans ensue.
NaNo history: I have taken part three times, every year since 2009, and I've won every time. My best word count so far was 135,000 words in 2010, when I also did my personal record of winning on the 9th day. I was both out of school and unemployed that year, though, so I was pretty much writing nine hours a day...

This year my personal goal is, as every year, to finish the novel I'm writing, no matter how many words over 50k it requires. I didn't meet that goal last time so I'm especially determined to do so this year. So, I'll need to pick an idea that will definitely carry me all the way to the end... We'll see!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

But it's only August and it's in November. Early thread is early. ._.

As usual probably not going to be doing this sadly; just too much to deal with with end-of-semester uni exams in the same darn month. (And I want my Bacholar of Science darn it).

Good luck to you guys though!
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

So far I only officially participated last year and finished at over 29,000 words. That time my goal is to get two long fics done (was able to finish one, only halfway done with second fic). Both of them I'm still editing now. XD

For this year maybe I might go ahead and write a Pokemon fic that's been on my mind for a while and then edit the heck out of it during Pokemon Big Bang when it comes on 2013, haha. Maybe also use my next FMA Big Bang for NaNo like I did last year, but the story this time will be much shorter than the one I did last year. A bit too early to tell.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

...July? *eyetwitch* Eesh, and I thought TCoD's equivalent thread popping up in September was early. Y'all's crazy.

Huh. I haven't even logged in since 2010's NaNo. I forgot they switched site backends and changed all of the things. Oh, well, guess I don't have to remember any user numbers anymore.

Anyway! NaNo is cool stuff, cool stuff. I've participated for four years total; we won't talk about 2007, but I won 2008-2010. I didn't finish any of them—in fact, 2009 and 2010 consist almost entirely of ~40K words of waffly first-few-chapters-or-so followed by another ~5K of some-random-point-in-the-middle and ~5K of ending, all horribly disjointed and so full of plotholes that I haven't bothered editing/finishing until they can be fixed, etc., whining, etc.. I skipped 2011 altogether for school reasons, and also in the vain hope that I'd get some editing on the earlier NaNos done. Assuming I can work it out, though (I... guess it's possible I might actually have a job this year? Supposed to start looking for one soon, anyway), I'd like to try again this year. Gotta do it at least one more time before the world ends and all that. :P

Every year so far I've done fanfic, and all but 2009's were Pokémon fic (2009 was Tales of Symphonia). I have an idea for another Pokémon fic I've been trying to work out lately, and theoretically I could use that for this year's NaNo, but I'd actually like to start on it as soon as possible if I can finish all the preliminary research and decision-making in time. I also suspect that doing full-blown chapterfic for NaNo may actually have me jinxing myself into never being able to finish what I start (see above "40K words of waffly first-few-chapters", along with other suspicions I won't bore you with). So, unless I can make more headway with the original stuff I'd also like to write, I think I'll go with this Golden Sun idea I've had for a while. It's more or less a bunch of related one-shots, and I'm guessing that even if I don't finish all of them (or even if I don't make 50K), I'll ultimately feel like I've accomplished something more concrete working on that sort of story.

My username is Phoenixsong, although there's not much to see there atm because changeover + the stuff from 2010 got baleeted to make room for the 2011 that didn't happen.

Question for you guys: have any of you ever participated as part of your regional groups, or gone to write-ins and events like that? Gonna sound a little weird coming from someone as staunchly asocial as I am, but I did in 2009 and actually had a great time. My region's municipal liaisons and organizers sent out a lot of their own really cool pep talks, and I had some fun with word war sprints at the two local write-ins I attended, too. You should try it if you haven't before!
Altered Origin
fanart, fanfics, fan rambles and assorted random crap

The Phoenixdex
so many fakemans aaaaaaa halp

I guess I started the thread early because I've already started planning my novel for November. xD

As for Phoenixsong's question - I keep meaning to go to the write-ins and local events, but all the staff for my county are located in east Dorset while I live in the mid-west of it. Although 40 miles doesn't probably sound like a long way to some of you, it is on our scale. xD So yeah... I'd love to go to write-ins, but they're all located in places convenient to the staff (fair enough, they do this for free!) and not for people on my side of the region. I'd go if I had local friends going with me, however. The drive is a bit lonely.

I have more fun doing word wars with people on our chat room (e.g. Misheard Whisper, we did at least one last year xD), and in the official NaNoWriMo chat room. There's also a couple of AIM chatrooms where people do word wars. It's a bit easier for me.
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

Phoenixsong Wrote:...July? *eyetwitch* Eesh, and I thought TCoD's equivalent thread popping up in September was early. Y'all's crazy.

INDEED WE ARE. 8D

Aaaanyway, my username is JX Valentine (natch), and I have no idea what I'm doing. I do have an original fic on the back burner at the moment, but I'd like to publish that and, therefore, to take my time with it. There's also a plot bunny that tons of people keep telling me to write, so I might just do that.

Before now, I've participated in pretty much every other year due to varying degrees of being busy in the month of November, and I've only won 2010. So I never really set my hopes up for the idea that I'll actually win, but hey!

Never been to any meetups, however. I might this year because I'm literally planning absolutely nothing aside from school projects and work. ...Which will probably take up most of my time anyway.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

Trying to keep the thread alive here because it's almost November... right guys?

I've participated since 2008 but only won in 2010 and 2011 so far. I don't actually have anything outside work for this year, as my distance learning degree has suddenly worked out nicely after over a year of solid work. xD So I'm hoping I have every chance of winning this year too!

I'm hoping just to get some ideas down for my webcomic - as in, novelise it and then draw from there later. I just can't get my head round script-writing. Anyway, It'll probably go totally mental the way last year's Pokémon fanfic did (something I need to repost here), but hey, ideas are ideas, right? I can hopefully bring together all my plot bunnies and more.

Hopefully, some of the events we'll be running on the board over the next week or so will help me get back into the swing of writing. I do have a writing blog that I was going to fill with 25,000 words (before November) in conjunction with my best friend, but all we've got so far is.... not a lot, to be honest.

Jax, if said plotbunny involves who and what I think it involves then please allow me to continue pressuring you to write it!

Now that I'm finally Done With School Forever, I should hopefully have more time for forum-related stuff in general... so whatever these coming events are, I look forward to them. Oh bleh I am so out of shape as a writer and any potential kick in the shorts helps ;-;

Anyway, even if no one goes to any meetups, in my experience it's worth joining your local NaNo region just for the extra pep talk emails. Obviously I can't speak for any region but my own, but Atlanta did have some pretty schnazzy and entertaining pep talks in '09 and '10; I'm sure most other regions are just as interesting in their own way! (And if they're not, I can share some of the Atlanta ones, I guess!)
Altered Origin

The Phoenixdex

(19th Sep 2012, 02:00 AM)Phoenixsong Wrote: Jax, if said plotbunny involves who and what I think it involves then please allow me to continue pressuring you to write it!

IT DOES, AND OKAY.

I have to admit I'm always signed up for my region's e-mail alerts, but I very, very rarely read them because I'm usually full of, "LOL WHAT IS E-MAIL." But I think I'll need it this year due to, "LOL WHAT IS FREE TIME."

In any case, we've got less than two months before the start date. How much planning has anyone/everyone done so far?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

I haven't done a whole ton of planning but I've got a couple of plot bunnies bouncing around in my head. One of them involves a paladin who ends up allying with a six-winged dragon/angel to fight demons. That one just seems like a lot of fun.

I may end up doing two or three stories this year. One is the Pokemon fic that I had been planning on and off for a while. The other two will be for livejournal fic communities like I did last year, one for FMA Big Bang's next round and another for Homestuck Gift Fic. Both of those I'll need to claim prompts, so I'm unsure what stories I'll do for both. Reason I'm thinking of using those fics for this year's NaNoWriMo as they start at the same time and their deadlines are somewhat close. And just real quick, all three stories should be fairly short. XD
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

Still likely to attempt that Golden Sun one-shot/shortfic/prompt challenge anthology thing; a little bittersweet since I figure that's my best chance to actually have something post-worthy come December as opposed to 50K words of unmitigated waffle, but at the same time as far as I can tell the GS fandom (especially fic-wise) moves at a snail's pace and I'll have all of one or two people to share the stories with. :p As far as preparing for that goes, I need to get back to that unfinished replay of the second game so I have the reference material fresh in my memory, heh.

If not that, there is the Pokémon plotbunny I've been nursing for a while, alongside several other decent-sized Pokéfics I could do instead. Two of those require a lot of worldbuildy work that I'm still struggling with, though, so they may not be ready in time; guess I could go for the third large plotbunny, but that one only carries a slightly reduced risk of directionless waffle so I'm a little unsure of that, too. I guess we'll have to see how much else I can get done before November, and whether glitches, weird fantasy stuff or Blue suddenly becomes interesting enough to take a chance on!

Man but I sure wish I had ideas for original stuff! Notably, anything with crazy dragon things gets an automatic "can i read this plz" from me; go for it, Latios!
Altered Origin

The Phoenixdex

(2nd Sep 2012, 04:53 PM)Jax Wrote: Aaaanyway, my username is JX Valentine (natch), and I have no idea what I'm doing. I do have an original fic on the back burner at the moment, but I'd like to publish that and, therefore, to take my time with it.

I actually do almost exclusively ideas I want to publish for NaNo. As it turns out, I work the best when I need to churn out a story relatively fast and then I have all the time I need to rewrite it later on. Writing it the first time shapes my understanding of the characters and the plot, and frankly I seem to get my best ideas in the middle of NaNo.

Also it's my philosophy that it's better to have something to revise and make better than to not have anything at all, which seems to happen in every other case... But anyway!

I've done a decent amount of planning lately, largely because I've been reading so much for school and that's generally pretty good food for thought in this sense. So, at the moment, I know the name of my main character and her family (yes, it's a she this year! Astonishing, I know!), her general family history, and the general plot of the story. I know it will involve the following things:
  • Main character's mother abandoned her when she was born, and she grew up in her uncle's family. This has arisen from the fact I'm super annoyed at the amount of books where the real, perfect and wonderful mother is absent and the stepmom is completely horrible. Here, the real mother is completely uninterested and probably unfit to parent a child, and therefore made the right choice in giving her to better parents to raise.
  • Will probably be taking place around the 1850's, either in the real world or in a fantasy country loosely based on the US at that time.
  • Magic that is essentially the forced manipulation of the essence, or spirit, of various substances, objects, and creatures.
  • A kidnapping.
  • A volcano about to erupt.
  • Fairy/elf things that have adjectives for names.

And plenty of other stuff, but that's all slowly cooking itself together in my head, so we can check back on this at a later time.

There's also another story that I'm itching to write, so we'll see if I end up writing this one, after all...
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I tried to participate last year... and failed miserably. I don't wanna talk about it, haha. Anyway, this year, I guess I'll try to actually work on the Pokemon fic that I was doing last year, then ended up getting lazy and quitting after two chapters. Maybe that or something else, I dunno. Either way, I'm aiming to better than last years... 3000 words? I forget, but I was really disappointed in myself.

(22nd Sep 2012, 05:49 PM)An-chan Wrote: I actually do almost exclusively ideas I want to publish for NaNo. As it turns out, I work the best when I need to churn out a story relatively fast and then I have all the time I need to rewrite it later on. Writing it the first time shapes my understanding of the characters and the plot, and frankly I seem to get my best ideas in the middle of NaNo.

Haha, I wish I could do that, but unfortunately, the last time I tried (the first and only time I won NaNo, in fact), it turned out to be a completely boring, overdramatic, and unsalvageable mess.

I will someday participate in NaNo BUT November is exam season over here in NZ. I believe this changes in uni but I'm not entirely sure. xD
Until then...!
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

I'm planning to enter this NaNoWriMo, which is my first time joining one. XD I already have a few ideas that I could use to write. One is a PMD fanfic that is much inspired by the PMD Doujinshis one can find on dA (PurpleKecleon's for example). Another one is a science fantasy novel that draws references to the TCG Magic: the Gathering and elements of cyber-magic/technomancy with a Magic vs Technology theme. I also have a plot line set for a trilogy but I'm thinking of doing it at my own pace because there are a couple of complexities that I can't possibly iron out in a month. (Plus, a trilogy is a LONG time xD)

I don't really know anything about book covers in NaNo... Do we design them? Considering that I am like a hobbyist graphic designer with limited skills.… ;_;

In terms of book covers, it is optional and yes you design them. I don't do book covers for NaNo, though I did make a banner cover of sorts for the story I wrote for last year's NaNo a little after the event, haha. Maybe I'll do one this year if I feel like it. And also, I'm pretty much a hobbyist graphic desinger with limited skills too. :P