Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Genre

What genre of writing do you like to read? What about write?

I like a lot of stuff; action, drama, mystery, etc. But with both I personally enjoy comedy the most; I like to laugh and also like to try to make others laugh as well.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

After reading tons and tons of different books and attempting to write various genres, the answer is very obvious for me. Fantasy. Hands down, without rival, it's fantasy for me. Sci-fi would be my second best genre, followed most likely by mystery or humor, I'm not so sure. Almost everything I read is either fantasy or scifi or both, whether very serious or half humor, and I do all subgenres from steampunk and alternate history to sword-and-sorcery and high fantasy. Probably my all-time favorite genre is the kind of fantasy that doesn't take itself too seriously and that's laced with a healthy dose of humor. Not necessarily quite so much as when Terry Pratchett does it, but more like how Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle works out.

The only fantasy subgenre I don't particularly like is urban fantasy, and that's mostly because said genre has recently been overrun by books about ttly hot vampires and werewolves for teenagers. *shudder*

I don't have much patience for books that are merely thrillers or horror or romance, for instance, but adventure, historical fiction, and usually books somehow removed from the everyday life of an average 21st century person I can definitely read with delight.

When I write, though, it's almost always fantasy. Even if I try to start writing something that isn't fantasy, usually some manner of dragon or fairy or trickle of magic or extra element pushes its way in and makes itself at home, and BAM, I'm writing fantasy again (note that I count steampunk as fantasy here because that's often how it turns out, not only when I write it). I get the occasional urge to do scifi as well, but I don't think I've finished a single scifi story yet.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Yeah, fantasy is one I like a lot as well and read quite often (more so in the past though).
Quote:Not necessarily quite so much as when Terry Pratchett does it, but more like how Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle works out.
I quite enjoy Terry Pratchett's works personally; it's more comedy than anything else but that suits me fine. But Diana Wynne Jones is a hella good author and one I strongly recommend checking out.
Quote:I get the occasional urge to do scifi as well, but I don't think I've finished a single scifi story yet.
Hmm...have you tried any Michael Crichton? He's pretty decent. Also Lem has a lot of interesting ideas in his numerous stories.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Ah, I meant I haven't finished a single scifi story I've been writing. I've actually read a bunch of really good scifi. Lem's Solaris was really good if also really creepy, and Orson Scott Card's scifi stuff is definitely very high on my "books that are awesome" list. I haven't tried Michael Crichton yet, though, so gonna have to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion *:3
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I am probably one of the odd ones out here in that I do enjoy sci-fi and fantasy in my TV shows/movies/videogames, but I probably lack the imagination to enjoy books on the subject. Therefore, I pretty exclusively read contemporary fiction. Douglas Coupland pretty much epitomises my kind of fiction.

Writing-wise, I am writing a supernatural/horror series (Jax is surely ready to lol at this) to be converted to comic form, but mostly write adventure-ish Rayearth and Pokémon fanfiction, or junk that would be suitable for a British soap opera.
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

Horror and mystery.