Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

General Chat Thread

Ah, college/uni. Mind you, often the amount of homework/study for a subject is merely recommended, and really should depend on you (how you study, how you feel you are managing, etc). Overestimates by them on how much you should focus on _their_ lecture is not uncommon. :V But a 5 hour reading assignment (due when?) sounds kinda tough right off the bat. What are you studying, btw?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

(23rd Sep 2013, 09:41 PM)Slayr231 Wrote: Okay, so after my first day of college, I learned one thing. I'm going to be spending a lot less time on here. Just thought I would give you a heads up, so you don't think I forgot about you people. You know that saying "For every hour you spend in class, you can expect two to three hours of homework"? Well, my teachers said that they were going to base their class around that idea every day. Starting off with a five hour reading assignment, so I probably won't be on everyday like I used to be.

As bobandbill said, professors oftentimes overestimate how much you should study and depends how effective you utilize your study skills. When it comes to reading assignments, many people actually don't read the whole chapter and just skim, highlighting/taking notes on the most important parts. Back when I was in college there were a couple classes I didn't even read the assigned textbooks and I just went through lecture notes (then again, my major was business, sooo XD ).
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

I plan on checking in maybe once a day when I'm taking a break from homework (which I'm doing right now), but I won't be writing any articles until I feel like I have enough time, which could take a while.
bobandbill Wrote:But a 5 hour reading assignment (due when?) sounds kinda tough right off the bat. What are you studying, btw?
It's due tomorrow, and the fact that I'm doing band doesn't help with my schedule, but it's worth it. Apparently it's a community band and I'm the only french horn player under the age of fifty. :P

The reading I got assigned was "Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics Excerpts from Books 1-3 Trans W. D.". All I know is that it's a bunch of philosophy stuff about what makes "the good life" we all strive for. So far I've taken a nap, some migraine medication, and a break for band class, and my migraine is still there. This is some pretty complicated stuff. I also will have about fifty pages of reading every day starting next week with some days requiring 100 pages and four to five page essay due every thursday. D:

You want to know what my brother got assigned? A ten minute math assignment...

I'll say that you're not expected to sign in every day or contribute all the time or anything like that, if that's something you're worried about. We all will have busy points in our lives (I certainly had a very frantic three previous weeks, which would have been four if not for an unexpected extension on an essay this week), but seeing we have a bit more people working on the magazine now we're doing decently in managing an update roughly every week for the last while. Take care of your studies foremost and when you have time and feel up to it, indulge in your hobbies. But that said too, no work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. ;p

But yeah, for a first year subject that professor sounds like he's expecting a heck of a lot from your class. So, uh... good luck!
Quote: You want to know what my brother got assigned? A ten minute math assignment...
As someone who has done maths classes, he'll be able to enjoy assignments with non-obvious solutions and obscure algebraic 'dark magic' manipulations down the track. ;p

I'M ALIVE STILL!

University is keeping me really busy - exams coming up in two weeks - so that I currently have 10 C programming assignments to do, a simple robot AI to program, a study journal to submit, a group project to plan, a very simple and barebones game to design and write, some Chinese symbols to study, aaaaand exams to study for! Oh and did I mention I'm working at the moment? Yeah. Life is a little bit hectic at the moment... Hence why I haven't been around basically at all, as much as may have wanted to.

But it's okay when you know it's only temporary. I mean, after next week, I'll have heaps more time on my hands since my 30 hours per week job will be over, and I can focus more on having some actual free time every now and then. Maybe I could even play video games some! And write personal projects! It shall be glorious.

And then there's NaNo. :3

How are the rest of you doing at the moment?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Quote:How are the rest of you doing at the moment?
Been doing a lot of writing of my thesis for Honours of late, while juggling a few other assignments. -_- So basically still busy on the most part! <3 weeks until my 40-page thesis is due, this Wednesday I have the talk on my project to deliver (30 min all up including questions), and in November, exams. :V

So looking forward to freedom for the rest of the year, plus a few small trips too.

(5th Oct 2013, 02:43 PM)bobandbill Wrote: Been doing a lot of writing of my thesis for Honours of late, while juggling a few other assignments. -_- So basically still busy on the most part! <3 weeks until my 40-page thesis is due, this Wednesday I have the talk on my project to deliver (30 min all up including questions), and in November, exams. :V

So looking forward to freedom for the rest of the year, plus a few small trips too.

Man, all I have to say is good luck. I'm surprised you still have the time to go on here at all.

Thought I'd revive this if that is okay, I find Daily Chat threads are good ways to get to know people of the forums.

I find it hard to work at home, I've got a buttload of vacation work to do and I've done maybe a third of it. There are too many distractions.
[Image: 2h4x8np.jpg]

I generally work best at home, but unfortunately all that tends to go out the window as soon as my family gets home. They have an unprecedented ability to be loud even when they're not really doing anything. My mom has just the right pitch of voice to penetrate all doors and walls with incredible ease, my brother has friends he plays intense online games like DOTA 2 with (so there's a lot of yelling, some of which contains insults), and so on. In addition, my family is very musical - my other brother is graduating to be a professional guitarist, so he plays a lot, and then my mom has recently picked up the violin (which makes for delightful sounds, let me tell you), and my dad plays the mandolin whenever he gets the chance, which happens maybe twenty times a day.

So I generally get most of my schoolwork done during the day, before they get home, lol.

For some reason, though, my best time for writing is after nine in the evening. When I write, nothing really breaks my concentration, besides having to do research, but I guess that's one form of the same sort of immersion. *shrugs*

I get distractions a lot from family too, though it's more of my parents wanting me to do chores and check a few things for them online, haha. As for writing, my best time to write is early in the evening usually.
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

I can give myself a scheduled restriction best around 6 or 7 in the evening, but the time I really get writing done is late at night, exactly when I'm finally done with the day. XD Then my brain starts going into overdrive, like, the day's started, it's a whole new world and a new 2:00 in the unholy morning

I write at night when I write at home mostly. The alternative is to write on my train trips to/from uni, which is actually of late when I'm getting the majority of my writing done (outside of really short stuff like drabbles).

Btw, happy easter to everyone! How are you spending yours, and how much chocolate have you acquired? =p

My family don't celebrate Easter, so we didn't do anything for it. I did however got myself some chocolate (with Macadamia nuts) while grocery shopping Saturday afternoon, haha.

I had a LOT of candy for Easter, though we don't technically celebrate it, haha.

More recently I celebrated vappu, which many of you might know as May Day or Walpurgi's day/night and which occurs on the 1st of May. Over here, it's considered especially a celebration for students, and everyone dons their student overalls (which ALL students here have, almost invariably) and their student hats that they get when graduating high school and go have a good time. For most people, this includes copious amounts of alcohol, but those who like to celebrate it more reasonably, like myself, usually go for more traditional fare like mead (which is usually mildly alcoholic because of how it's prepared), donuts, other assorted fried things like funnel cake and rosettes, potato salad, and tiny sausages. Balloons are also a thing, especially helium-filled foil balloons in the shape of popular characters or otherwise awesome things like dolphins, which most parents buy for their children, and then streamers and party hats and wigs and pretty much everything colorful. And even if it's way too cold, like 10 degrees C, people still go hang out outside and stubbornly attempt to have a picnic because it's vappu, dang it.

Here, have a picture:
[Image: vappu2.jpg]
The white hats are our student hats.

And, in the true Finnish fashion, we hold the biggest celebrations on the actual eve of the day, so 30.4., because that's how we work. We celebrate Christmas on the 24th, and New Years' on the 31st, and so on... :D

Do you guys have any local/national holidays specific to your own area around this time of year?