Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Forum games?

This is a suggestion that is likely to divide opinions, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

We used to have a section for forum games, meaning games like association game, answer-the-question-by-previous-poster, rate my signature, would you rather, word games, what have you. Most bigger boards seem to have something like that, in general, and ours was fairly popular. No, it's not proper discussion, and it's almost a bit on the spammy side, but it's fun - at least in my opinion - and they're the sort of threads that require very little time to respond to, so good entertainment for when real life hits you hard.

So, I propose we bring back this section. I also suggest we keep the post count off on it, but that can definitely be up for discussion. What do you all say? Yay/nay? Easy ways to have a bit of fun or annoying spam?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I'm pretty fine with bringing back some forum games as long as the post count is off in that section too.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

From what I saw it didn't seem to attract a whole lot of attention, but maybe it did. I'm not really interested in having a section like that, but if other people are then hey.

Even though I think it's kind of unnecessary, I'm pretty indifferent about it for the most part. If the majority wants it again, then I don't really have any objections.I don't see why post count should be turned off there because they're still technically posts, and post count doesn't really matter too much to me, so. /shrug That's probably something to do discuss later.

I agree with Glace. I don't see a point to it, but It wouldn't bother me if it went through.

Quote:From what I saw it didn't seem to attract a whole lot of attention, but maybe it did. I'm not really interested in having a section like that, but if other people are then hey.
It had more than other sections did bar magazine at times, so it did.

I'm alright with it coming back. Post count off too.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

bobandbill Wrote:It had more than other sections did bar magazine at times, so it did.

I'm alright with it coming back. Post count off too.

I don't mean to be an idiot, again, but, isn't the point of this wonderful forum the magazine, and not... well ... I mean if you used Forum Games to simply reel in members that would be acceptable but I wouldn't want the main focal point the Games. And that's not that I assume the admins and mods want that either, but I feel it may inadvertently get more intention then the main topic of the forum. I'm here for the 'zine. I would hope that many members that I hope to see in the future would come for the same. But I suppose a loss of post count balances it out.

Trainer Timothy Wrote:I don't mean to be an idiot, again, but, isn't the point of this wonderful forum the magazine,

Definitely not a stupid statement. It's actually sort of complicated. I mean, that's part of it, but it's not all of it. To explain, as a warning, tl;dr ahoy!

Basically, The BBS was originally created to be like a sandbox. (It was even called The Sandbox BBS before part of the name got dropped.) That basically meant that whatever the members wanted the board to be, it was. So it originally had just a forum like this, where members could pitch ideas and have them created.

However, because most members were writers, artists, and other creative types, it wound up being more of a creativity board. As in, most of our efforts were geared towards creating and supporting forums for fanfiction, fanart, and other creative fan things. (We even had our own heavily detailed ASB league for the roleplaying types.) The magazine was actually a late-game addition to this "mission," an effort to generate interest in the board by tying it to the main site.

So technically, the point of the board doesn't have to be the magazine, and it wasn't before SCRATCH. On the other hand, just like the board started leaning towards creative forums shortly after its launch, we could focus the board on the magazine if members wanted to. It's just that I'm not sure if members want to do that. Personally, I think it'd be nice if we kept the board's point a little broader than that by sticking to the "this place is for fandom creativity" idea again, but it's not so much my decision as all of yours (thanks to the whole "I created this board so that members can decide what to do with it because it's a lot more fun seeing what people come up with if you tell them they can" bit).

On that note, Glace pretty much summed up my opinion in those first two sentences, haha. The old one did let us have some pretty fun conversations with each other, but.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

The magazine is actually very new, whereas the board shall soon be three years old, I believe. So, it is not the point of the board per se, no. That said, there really isn't any real reason to include a games section, other than people enjoying it. Which doesn't seem to be the case, really. I'm sensing a big no from how all of you are saying you'd be okay with it but not really interested... Ah, well. I personally grew fond of it because it was one of the sections you could almost count on having activity every day, which was certainly not the case with a lot of sections on this board for a long time. Buuut now we have all this other activity. So, I guess if it is one of the sections forever lost, then no harm was really done.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -