Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Anything goes!

I was going to not post and instead see what everyone else comes up with, but seeing as how no-one is posting new suggestions, I shall attempt to encourage you all by posting mine!
Everyone who posts a suggestion, no matter how silly (as long as it abides by the rules) will get a personal virtual cookie from me!

I would like a shiny little 'Anything Goes'-type section, where I could put the non-art threads I like the best personally: recipe trades, book recommendations, threads for various other video games, and so on. So, basically an unrelated non-Pokémon stuff section. What it would be called and how it would be organized is up for debate, of course! As in, do we want several different sections - one for entertainment like books and games and one for everything else, or a section for books and movies and then another one for games, or something - and what we want to call them.

Thoughts or further suggestions, anyone?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I like the idea of this kind of section. I'm guessing this is like a like a "Miscellaneous Discussion"-esque kind of section? It definitely seems reasonable, and I can't really think of any objections.

Basically, yes. It would be the sort of "if it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here" sort of place, I would imagine, and we're probably going to need one before long to allow for a range of discussion. What needs to be puzzled out a bit is whether we want some of the miscellaneous subjects to have their own subforums, or if we should just put everything together. Though I guess we can always wait it out and see - if we get a surge of book-related threads, we can create a subforum for those, or if it turns out the board is filled with, say, cooking enthusiasts, we can make a cookery-themed subforum.

I think we should just put everything together for now. Once more activity comes in then we can put the subforums.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

I'd like to second/third the idea of creating the subforums as we need them. After all, it'd be awkward to create a subforum (or forum in general) dedicated to something specific, only to have it go unused afterwards. (Oh, our poor old book forum.) Besides, I'll admit something right now: I like the idea of a literally anything-goes forum where you can post everything from political debates to the merits of using fresh instead of canned rhubarb in rhubarb pie. It makes it absolutely clear that the forum isn't a spam forum or like a debate forum lite or something like that but in actuality a literally anything goes place. But of course, I'm still okay with the idea of making subforums (or completely separate forums) if people feel like we need to separate one particular topic, if that makes sense.

On a side note, considering this would probably be one of the first forums created and considering the fact that I was brilliant and totally didn't forget to leave a discussion forum of any kind, I'd also like to attach a small side proposal: anyone object to the idea of using this forum as a literally anything-goes place until we actually come up with more forum ideas? As in, we could use it for discussing everything from recipes to Pokémon games to pictures of toads with hats (don't ask but that last one was an actual concern brought up by Mia) until we actually decide whether or not we want anything else. Would this be cool, or should we just make it specifically be non-Pokémon-based and tell anyone who wants a Pokémon general discussion board/what-have-you to come here?
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

I like the idea of having it be for absolutely anything. Though arguably we should keep it to stuff that's not related to pokemon or otherwise isn't related to sections that already exist. But seriously, a thread about toads with hats. I mean heck yes. And in terms of subforums, if any threads get giant or threads for a particular thing start popping up like crazy, we can just chuck them all into a subforum. Basically, if any one thing starts making everything else difficult to find, we give it its own section.

I don't know. If it's the equivalent to Miscellaneous Discussion, then I don't think having a semi-spam thread about toads with hats would really fit. And have sub-forums for it would kind of defeat the purpose because it's the area where something reasonable goes when it doesn't fit into any other section. So it would essentially not be able to be ordered into sub-sections and whatnot.

I would prefer we keep it strictly business. I know it sounds kind of dumb, but this forum isn't about miscellaneous, it's about POKeMON. Unless we began writing articles pertaining to other things besides POKeMON, you know? I don't mean to be a wet blanket, it's just my opinion.

Quote:I would prefer we keep it strictly business. I know it sounds kind of dumb, but this forum isn't about miscellaneous, it's about POKeMON. Unless we began writing articles pertaining to other things besides POKeMON, you know? I don't mean to be a wet blanket, it's just my opinion.
In general, yes, it is about Pokemon, but there's nothing wrong with talking about other things either if people want. (After all it's not really a 'business' to talk about Pokemon but rather a hobby). As other Pokemon forums typically have such a section too I have no personal qualms with the idea.
Quote:On a side note, considering this would probably be one of the first forums created and considering the fact that I was brilliant and totally didn't forget to leave a discussion forum of any kind, I'd also like to attach a small side proposal: anyone object to the idea of using this forum as a literally anything-goes place until we actually come up with more forum ideas? As in, we could use it for discussing everything from recipes to Pokémon games to pictures of toads with hats (don't ask but that last one was an actual concern brought up by Mia) until we actually decide whether or not we want anything else. Would this be cool, or should we just make it specifically be non-Pokémon-based and tell anyone who wants a Pokémon general discussion board/what-have-you to come here?
I personally feel we should keep it non-Pokemon based and have a separate section/s for Pokemon discussion.

Agree also that it should be one section for now and have subforums added when there's a demand, and request, for them.

Toads with hats...uh, maybe in a share odd picture thread or a game thread rather than misc discussion, Mia. =p

As for a section name: we had Eggplants last time for this sort of section but I wouldn't mind a more informative title this time around tbh. (Like, well, Anything Goes or Miscellaneous Discussion).
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

I'm not going to push the idea, but I think what I kind of got from one of Jax's posts was the suggestion that we have a discussion forum for everything at first - wouldn't that help us work out what people want to talk about on the board and get ideas for sections from there, in a more natural way?
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

I'm otherwise all for the Anything Goes forum as a true anything goes thing, but I agree with bobandbill and Latios that we should probably leave that non-Pokémon and have another section for all Pokémon-related things. Separating threads into different sections when it becomes necessary is, of course, quite possible, but I personally feel it would become relatively difficult by the time we actually notice we're in trouble with the amounts of threads on specific subjects. So, at least that separation we should do from the beginning, I think. Other stuff we can sort out later, but that's one of the specific forums we are probably going to have to create anyway.

Or, well, look at it like this: it's always easier to merge than to separate sections. Therefore, I think Pokémon and non-Pokémon stuff should be separate from the beginning. Everything else can just be sort of thrown in there, though.

Camisado Wrote:I'm not going to push the idea, but I think what I kind of got from one of Jax's posts was the suggestion that we have a discussion forum for everything at first - wouldn't that help us work out what people want to talk about on the board and get ideas for sections from there, in a more natural way?
Pretty much this. We could use the section as a topic beta-testing area. If something becomes super popular, we go "hey people really like this" and divert it off into its own section.

Quote:I don't know. If it's the equivalent to Miscellaneous Discussion, then I don't think having a semi-spam thread about toads with hats would really fit. And have sub-forums for it would kind of defeat the purpose because it's the area where something reasonable goes when it doesn't fit into any other section. So it would essentially not be able to be ordered into sub-sections and whatnot.
We're mostly joking about the toads with hats thread; ideally, every thread would be something a lot of people are interested in that isn't related to pokémon. For instance, MLP or Digimon or cooking. Also, we'd only give a topic its own section if it starts dominating the general area and making things hard to find, or a ton of people are otherwise interested in it. I think that's the idea, anyway.

This section has also been created!
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D