Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Fics and Pics!

Maybe not with the same name as this thread, but going to make the obvious suggestion; a section for posting fic, art and other creative works on the forum. (After all that's where stuff would need to be posted for the fandex as well).

I guess the main thing is the layout. A combined section? Separate? Main section for discussion with art and fics as separate subsections (ie how we had it before). I wouldn't mind keeping art and fics separate tbh and let discussion happen in their respective sections for the moment until activity builds up.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

I think art and fics definitely need to be separate due to the nature in which they are posted (i.e. a fic takes a long while to post and could be buried under a lot of art threads). A lounge-type discussion forum would be nice, so maybe a base discussion forum with subforums for art and fic like we had it? Or two lounges for two subforums? I'm not sure, actually. I just want somewhere to put my NaNo threads as well as actual writing!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I think things should stay as they were.

I'm not too sure if this is what you're suggesting, but I think it could work:

-Creative Discussion Section
--Writing Section (where fics are posted)
---Author's Lounge
--Visual Art Section (sprites, digital art, traditional art)

y/n/m?

Another question is whether we want any separation between Pokémon and non-Pokémon stuff. Shall we allow free mixing of canons, or should we have, for instance, PC-style tags for threads for easier identification? Should we have a subsection for one or the other?

I think the strongest suggestions for the organizing of art stuff is either what Spectrum suggested or how we used to have it, namely:

-Creative stuff (base forum, discussion goes here)
--Fanfiction (Pokémon, other & original)
--Fanart (Pokémon, other & original)

I think once activity picks up we could worry about using a subsection or preferablly a prefix system (ie Pokemon/Other), but for now I don't think we would need to implement that.

And the above way makes more sense to me as having a base forum for discussion for all creative processes would basically negate the need for the Author's Lounge type of section.

While we're at it, we could also consider another one for other creative stuff (I suppose that would cover say RPs, LPs...what else?)...thoughts?

Prefix system is the way, I think, but also I am of the opinion we should implement it now rather than have difficulties with the section later and then put it in action. I mean, it's not that much extra work at this time, but it would definitely make things trickier further on if it does get rather active, if that makes sense.

I am definitely interested in an RP section, but I'm not sure how many other people are. However, having a section where stuff like fan remixes or music videos are welcome would be both rare and awesome. LP's are ever popular, so a section where those are at home would also be nice. Whether they all would fall into the same section might be up for debate, but I think it would be reasonable enough to have a subforum for, say, Other Creations.

Quote:Whether they all would fall into the same section might be up for debate, but I think it would be reasonable enough to have a subforum for, say, Other Creations.

I think LP's, music videos and other creative arts that wouldn't fit into the other sub-forums would do well in a sub-forum like this. I'm not too sure about RP's going in such a section, however, mainly because it's less of an "art" per se and functions much differently than the other thing that would go in the Creative Arts/Stuff section that's been suggested.

But these are just my two cents.

I like the whole "Other Creations" idea; good to have a place for that sort of thing. Other than that all I have to say is that I agree that adding the prefixes now is a good idea!
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

I like Anni's idea the most, including tags from the beginning. We just have to be careful that everything doesn't become ponies I'd also like a place for RPs but I don't think we have enough people or activity for that right now. Maybe we can consider it once things pick up a bit, or if someone comes up with an RP that a lot of people have interest in.

Also gonna agree on a general thread for non-art/fic stuff. Basically, there's lots of fanart and fanfiction, so they merit their own sections. On the other hand, there's relatively few mixed media projects, AMVs, and so forth, so we can stick all that stuff together.

An-chan Wrote:I think the strongest suggestions for the organizing of art stuff is either what Spectrum suggested or how we used to have it, namely:

-Creative stuff (base forum, discussion goes here)
--Fanfiction (Pokémon, other & original)
--Fanart (Pokémon, other & original)

A third option might also be something like this:

(Creative Section Title)
- Creative Lounge (for discussion and whatnot)
- Fanfiction
- Fanart
- Other Fan Things (which I like the idea of because some folks here are musicians, web-builders, and whatnot)

We could also lump Wynaut? in here as well, depending on whether or not it'd be cluttered that way. Either way, it'd at least make the discussion forum clearly a discussion place for both fanart and fanfiction while bringing the two creative forums up front so that it might be slightly easier to find them.

I am also all for the prefix system. One of the awkward things about Serebii's way of doing things (besides the fact that shipping fics are separated out for some reason) is that it isolates the non-Pokémon fics, so their non-Pokémon fic forum always looks dead and ignored. Meantimes, I'd also like to propose doing things slightly different from PC by separating the non-Pokémon tag into Original Fic and Other Fandom (or some shortened version of that). It's mostly because I noticed while I was there -- and a similar problem happens on Serebii -- that the wording of the Other tag/Non-Pokémon forum description makes it unclear to some writers as to where to post/how to tag their original fics. So I'm hoping that actually having a prefix for Original Fics as well as prefixes for fanfics will help keep that clear to people. Thoughts on that?
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

The prefix system sounds like a great idea. I just wouldn't want to name the sections fanfiction or fanart because we're allowing original art and writing in those sections as well, right? So those aren't really "fan" creations if it's not based off a show or franchise of any sort. Maybe:

-Creative Lounge
--Literature
--Art Exhibit
--Other Creations

This would make more sense if we plan to include original work as well. Then if it is fanfiction, maybe there could be a prefix for that, or they could just say it in the opening post.

edit: I think the Wynaut? Magazine would be better off having its own section. Like Latios said, it's right there and clearly visible to any newcomers who join later on.

Sections look good, Jax. That's basically what I envisioned when I was thinking about it. However...I sort of like where the magazine is at the moment. It's like right there. And it seems to be attracting more people than anything else, at least right now. It might be good to have it highly visible.

As for tags, having one for original material is a fantastic idea, especially if people create things that are influenced by pokemon but are original overall. Just have to be careful that the section doesn't become a general writing and critique zone for whoever and whatever kind of material. I doubt that would happen though.

EDIT: liking those section names better, Glace. And good point.

Fair enough with implementing the prefixes now then. Also fine with how you suggested having the prefixes, Jax.

I'd also prefer to have the magazine as its own separate section.

Lastly; quite for how Glace has it, structure and name-wise. Let's go with that one!

Just posting to say I'm seconding going with Glace! :D
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

Perhaps "Other Creations" could be replaced with "Graphics" or "GFX" for stuff such as user made Avatars, Signatures, Banners and other things of that nature.

Thing is that means there's no place for other things that wouldn't come under that, such as LPs or music. Other Creations however would cover user-made avatars, etc and other stuff not covered by that alone. (And if there's a lot of sigs/banner shops or whatnot then down the track that could be a subsection).

bobandbill Wrote:Thing is that means there's no place for other things that wouldn't come under that, such as LPs or music. Other Creations however would cover user-made avatars, etc and other stuff not covered by that alone. (And if there's a lot of sigs/banner shops or whatnot then down the track that could be a subsection).

Sounds good to me.

Otherwise seconding all motions, except that I'm a little bit worried naming the sections "Literature" and "Art Exhibit" can come off as a little bit pretentious to new members... But if everyone else thinks it's okay, I trust your judgment!

Also, I would assume pixel art and banners and such would actually fall into the visual art category and therefore be posted in that section?

I would personally think so too, tbh.