Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Pokemon Fanfiction

Hey.
So not too long ago, I began posting my Pokemon fanfiction in the Writing section here, and Bobandbillz suggested I suggest my idea here. Honestly, I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, so I'll start but describing the plot idea for the fiction I guess.

Basically, the main conflict of the story is that the Pokemon League of the Region (All the Elite Four, Champion, and Gym Leaders, etc.) is corrupt, and actually runs the regions analog of Team Rocket, which is known as Team Raid. The narrator, Dakota, the ghost leader of the region, has his heart set on taking down this organization because their terrorist actions cost him someone he held dear. Dakota is a proficcient battler, but for lack of a better term, he's broken. He finds himself more comfortable around pokemon than people, and throughout the story, he has to learn to trust others, and to earn their trust. (Trust is a main theme of the story). The story will also explore the difference between people and pokemon, as well as the idea of Shadow Mega evolutions (those of you who played the Pokemon Colloseum games will understand the idea of Shadow Pokemon). I will warn that the story may not be friendly for younger readers, as the protagonist is a cutter (although that only occurs in one scene), nearly kills someone (Not graphic, its in Chapter 3 if you need to take a look), and in a later chapter consumes alcohol (although only one glass, and only because an adult offered it to him, saying it would help him feel warm after he had been soaked by the rain).

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I'd be honored to see my story posted in the magazine. If you'd like to take a look its currently posted in the writing sections under "Pokemon Fanfiction: Distortion"

I get a z in my name now? Too cool. =p

Anyways... hmm. First off I'm afraid I may have given the wrong idea, because we never had a fanfic per say in the magazine. We've had a guide or two related to fics, can do reviews about fanworks including fics, and had creative works such as a set of diary entries from TR members/mock interviews with characters/'conspiracy theories', but those differ from the standard sort of fic.

I'm not opposed to the idea, however there may be difficulties with yours in that it's a chaptered one, and given the editing process we have here chaptered fics may well take a good bunch. Then there's the fact that your one is ongoing - while you mentioned in the fic thread that you have a plan it takes a good deal of time to reach the end of writing a fic for many (like myself), and many fics never did end up getting finished sadly. Opening it up to multiple chaptered fics may look messy when the stats call for a bunch to never finish. And chaptered fics will take up a lot of articles (squeezing multiple chapters into an article won't work well I fear).

But I'm open to discussion on this, so I'm hijacking your thread to discuss the idea of putting up fics in general (be they one shots, chaptered fics, in full or just a part/parts, etc - maybe the latter makes it better manageable? Give the first chapter after a short preview, and leave it at that with a link to the remainder of the fic. Seems to solve a good chunck of the problems I raised after all!).
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

When it comes to chaptered fics, yeah I think the best way to approach this is to post a first chapter (after it goes through some edits) to have it like a "fic preview" and put a link to the rest of the story. One shots we can post the whole fic I guess.

With that said, shall we have a thread or something for people to want to request the first chapter of their fic to be posted, but edit it in the fic's original thread?
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

(28th Jul 2015, 05:46 AM)Bay Alexison Wrote: When it comes to chaptered fics, yeah I think the best way to approach this is to post a first chapter (after it goes through some edits) to have it like a "fic preview" and put a link to the rest of the story. One shots we can post the whole fic I guess.

With that said, shall we have a thread or something for people to want to request the first chapter of their fic to be posted, but edit it in the fic's original thread?
I think a thread for this would be fine, and editing in the original thread.

Any other thoughts to this proposal (zamuil?)?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Great idea, gives more exposure to different kinds of fics and puts content on the site. Agree with chaptered fics only providing the first chapter / an excerpt and a link to the whole thing in the end, too. Although I think it shouldn't be overdone, in that we don't post fics consecutively. It can be spaced in between one or two articles.