Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Some concerns for current projects of mine.

I don't know if this is the place to mention stuff like this (or even say this kind of stuff at all), but considering that this is a recurring problem of mine, I feel I need to address it and ask for some help.

For who-knows-when, I make writing projects. Full-fledged arcs, seasons, series... whatever I feel like calling them. There are tons of characters (either original or taken from other series), a big world (if not a whole universe), and tons of ideas for stories. I have a main character/star/protagonist/hero with some friends or a sidekick and a villain that's supposed to be taken down. There are some other characters as well, but it's usually about the hero taking down the villain and completing whatever task was given to them.

Before I get started on writing, however, I try to make references (character profiles, notes about locations, miscellaneous things, etc) to use so I don't look like I'm pulling stuff out of air. Considering I've actually got into trouble for this, I want to have as many details down as possible so I don't stray off my original intention.

The problem is that there's something more interesting that I want to write, but I risk putting the main character(s) to the side. This has happened a lot, and I ended up losing interest in projects before I could even write them.

Right now I have three projects. One is safe since that's dependent on RPs. Another is safe because there's not a whole lot I want to change. But the third, my main one, has been changed so drastically that it's barely even the same from when I first brought it up. There's also the fact that the more interesting part that I want to write for this really irked a friend of mine that bothered another for a while could be crossing into Creator's Pet territory, and the last thing I want is to make readers uncomfortable (especially since this particular project treads on certain disapproved tropes more than the other two).

I know this post is long enough, so I'll cut to the chase: should I just ignore all the planning I did and just write this anyway, or should I just start from scratch and try to stick to the original, Adventure Time-esque plan?

Again, apologies if a post like this shouldn't even be here, but this has been eating at me for a long time and I need writer advice on this.
[Image: V1YVF.png]
From left to right: Witch, Draco Centauros, Feli, and White Feli. All from Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
Avatar has (some of) my favorite Pokemon from each generation. Boy, do I have a lot of favorites! XP

(15th Dec 2014, 09:47 AM)Strange Wigglytuff Wrote: I don't know if this is the place to mention stuff like this (or even say this kind of stuff at all), but considering that this is a recurring problem of mine, I feel I need to address it and ask for some help.
It is the place!

Anyways, if changing it so often is preventing you from writing, maybe it'd be time to put your foot down and try to write something based on your current plans before further plotting how things should go, or what a character is like; or writing based on your original ideas (although I'm less sure about that option).

Alternatively, try to merge the two so you're still plotting out, but still making some progress with the actual job too. Write out a scene that would also flesh out a particular scene or characterisation that you've come up with in plotting and see how that turns out, and build from there. I've done that before for parts I've been stuck on how to continue because of too-many-ideas-titis.

I also tend to jolt down the more important aspects of what I want to write in a document for the following scene, maybe with a few details I'm particularly content with, and then expand each of those into their respective scenes, so I'm continually plotting and writing and refining. Maybe that approach would help?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

So sorry for the late response!

(16th Dec 2014, 02:03 AM)bobandbill Wrote: It is the place!

Anyways, if changing it so often is preventing you from writing, maybe it'd be time to put your foot down and try to write something based on your current plans before further plotting how things should go, or what a character is like; or writing based on your original ideas (although I'm less sure about that option).
I've been warned about doing that. The problem is that I always share the info publicly (specifically Twitter and Tumblr), and I'd feel that I'd be lying to the reader if the story says otherwise. To me, that be like a game promising a cool new feature only to have said feature be removed or changed heavily.

On the other hand, it's been said that it's better for the story in question to have it's own identity. This was supposed to be based on Adventure Time, but as time went on, it was becoming less like Adventure Time and more like it's own thing (if not something else entirely). At this point, though, I'm just going to see how this turns out.

(16th Dec 2014, 02:03 AM)bobandbill Wrote: Alternatively, try to merge the two so you're still plotting out, but still making some progress with the actual job too. Write out a scene that would also flesh out a particular scene or characterisation that you've come up with in plotting and see how that turns out, and build from there. I've done that before for parts I've been stuck on how to continue because of too-many-ideas-titis.
I've wrote a couple of scenes, but I'm not entirely sure if they'd be suitable for posting here. There's nothing inappropriate in them, per say, but there are part of the could-be Creator's Pet area.

(16th Dec 2014, 02:03 AM)bobandbill Wrote: I also tend to jolt down the more important aspects of what I want to write in a document for the following scene, maybe with a few details I'm particularly content with, and then expand each of those into their respective scenes, so I'm continually plotting and writing and refining. Maybe that approach would help?
Maybe I'll try that. Sounds like that will help.
[Image: V1YVF.png]
From left to right: Witch, Draco Centauros, Feli, and White Feli. All from Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary.
Avatar has (some of) my favorite Pokemon from each generation. Boy, do I have a lot of favorites! XP

My first piece of advice would be to not post your planning in a public place. Of course, this is sort of a personal thing, but I find that posting my notes where others can see them make me feel way more pressured to write, and eventually lead to me abandoning the project - usually when I realize that the story would be way better if I could change some details from the beginning, but I no longer can because those chapters are already out there, and even my planning notes are public. Some things in stories are supposed to be able to change as your fancy takes you, because that smoothes out a lot of potential problems.

If you really want to keep posting your notes, though, and you don't find that to be the root of the problem, you can of course keep doing it - I know people who find it encouraging, or sort of a positive obligation that makes them write what they promised to. If you feel that way, then sure, go for it. But maybe don't post them right away? Give them time to shape up and mature for a few days, maybe a week, and then when you're sure you like those ideas and want to actually commit to them, THEN make them public.

Overall, though, I would warn against overplanning. I'm a huge planner myself, and I tend to write massive plot synopses, character sheets, scene overviews, what have you. In the end, though, while I'm writing, I often find that a given idea that seemed like a brilliant thing when I came up with it was never going to work in that story, and I have to change things on the fly - often wasting hours' worth of planning work in the process. So, sometimes it really isn't worth it to make a super detailed plan for what you're going to write. I'd second bnb's suggestion of plotting-as-you-go, or combining the actual writing and the planning process. That gives you some leeway to try out ideas before they're quite so set in stone, and change things around when they get stale to prevent project death. :)
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -