Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

MAFIA: That game where you die a lot (SUMMER '14)

HELLO AND WELCOME, FANKIDS, TO THE FIRST MAFIA WE'VE HAD IN FOREVER.

Introduction
Why did you think that job at Happy Fun Candy Land was a good idea. Just ... why.

REWIND! You're broke. Like, flat broke. And apparently, so are several other people. Conveniently, you and those several other people have been chosen to test out the rides and events at Happy Fun Candy Land, a brand-new indoor amusement park (naturally owned by mysterious benefactors who don't at all go by the name Giovanni and ... Giovanni) full of wonder and enchantment.

And also death. Lots and lots and lots of death.

See, one of you, big surprise, is a bloodthirsty sadist with a knack for turning cutesy but vaguely creepy members of the Uncanny Valley into just straight-up scary-creepy members of the Uncanny Valley. As in, those fancy electronics that power all the rides, the equipment, and the horrifying adorable animatronic mascots? Are now under the control of someone who's breaking into the command center every night. And that person is just bent on making sure you become part of the horror fun house. A permanent, bloody part of it.

The downside is you're trapped there for a good week because that's how long the testing period is supposed to be. (Relax. The on-premises hotel room and mall are amazing, and you get free reign. Assuming you survive, anyway.) The other downside is because of legal troubles that have nothing to do with Pokémon poaching, grand hacking, larceny, arson, building weapons of mass destruction, plotting world domination, and occasional jaywalking, the owners of the park have decided that if anyone dies on the park's premises, they're just going to kinda ... push the body into the Magic Lake of Wonder and pretend nothing happened. So it's like Disney World, pretty much.

In short, to recap. You? Broke being who's getting paid generously to test out an amusement park for a week. Your enemy? Some sadistic jerk who wants you dead and will kill you with fuzzy animal mascots. Find that jerk and escape the park or you won't get that hefty paycheck Rocket Industries is promising you'll be whisked off to Never Never Land ... permanently.

How to Play
(Which I didn't copypasta what are you talking about.)
So, basically, the entire game is a very loose roleplaying game. After the game begins, you can use this thread to RP, to have OOC commentaries, to make non-consensual love to that sexy thing we call the fourth wall… whatever.

In the meantime, there are a few types of players running around:

The Puppeteer is a player who sneaks into the park's command center every night after everyone's asleep to take command of the park's army of robotic mascots and drag one of the others away, kicking and screaming. Every night (i.e., each day, whenever they have time, so long as I hear from them before 7 PM EST), they choose a player other than themselves to get captured. They send me this name via PM, and the next day (the aforementioned 7 PM EST), all of you find out that one of you has disappeared. It's your (as in, the rest of you) job to try to figure out who's the puppeteer before they take their next victim. (Note: Yes, that means that you have from 7 PM EST on one day until 6:59 PM the next day to guess. Puppeteers have until that time frame to choose a victim. Hope this makes sense! If not, this will be clarified during the game.)

The Greek Chorus are players whose ghosts now haunt the park's attractions. These players are free to continue posting, but the other characters won't be able to hear them. Thus, their posts are required to be behind spoiler tags, but they're free to be as snarky as possible. (They are not free, however, to give away the identity of the puppeteer if they somehow figure out who it is. No, we're not telling you after you're gone. You never saw the puppeteer in action.)

The Angel of Death Incarnate is yours truly, the moderator of the game whose job is to make sure everything runs smoothly. As such, I know the identity of both the puppeteer and the sleuth and can answer questions about the game. Just don't expect straight answers. The Angel of Death has a strange sense of humor.

Everyone else are just normal players. It's your job to guess who the mole is. Each day until 6:59 PM EST, you'll be given the opportunity to cast a vote for the player you think is the mole. In order to do so, simply make a post and bold the name you're guessing. Feel free to tell us why you think they're the mole if you believe your reasoning will sway the other members. (Sleuth and Mole, you'll have to do the same to avoid blowing your cover.) At 7 PM, I'll count up the votes and announce which one you've chosen. You'll know whether or not you're right based on whether or not there's a body in the Magic Lake. Be warned! The puppeteer will also pretend to be one of you, so trust no one!

How to Sign Up
Just post, kids. Your name will be added to a list. Whenever you're captured, it'll be struck out. No, you don't need a special character, but you can have one if you want.

How to Win
In order to end the game, one of a few things must occur:

1. The other players have figured out who the puppeteer is. Once that player has been bound, gagged, and thrown into the park's creepy catacombs for the night, there's no real point in continuing to guess who the mole is.

2. The puppeteer has managed to get everyone else killed except one other player. And then it's rather obvious.

3. There is literally no one else to guess because you've accused everyone but the killer. And then it's also rather obvious.

4. The puppeteer has dropped out of the game. Which actually means that everyone loses, and no one gets the special prizes.

What's that you say? Prizes? You mean you get prizes for playing? Why, yes, you do!

Prizes
Prizes are based on one of the above conditionals. Simply match the number to the condition to find out what the prize is.

1. For the party left standing when the killer is captured (before you run out of suspects, that is), you will each receive the Mafia Ribbon, a ribbon so rare and elusive that ... I can't even show it to you just yet. You will also receive 100 points a piece. The killer receives a high five.

2. For the killer and the sole survivor, you will both receive the Mafia Ribbon and 150 points a piece for making the game interesting.

3. For all parties left standing at the end of a stalemate game (because there's no longer anyone left to be a suspect, but there's more than one survivor), you'll each get the Mafia Ribbon and 50 points a piece. So it's in your best interest to play carefully and capture the killer quickly ... or let them kill off all of you.

4. For an aborted game, the killer will get a long stare of disapproval, and the survivors will be awarded 10 consolation points.

Now, to make things fair and to finish off this long-as-eff post, the rules:

Rules
There are only three rules in this game (other than the outline of how to play and the fact that PMs and votes need to be sent in at X, Y, and Z time), and they're all pretty simple.

1. Activity's top-priority in this game, so please be sure to get your posts in on time (whether they're accusations or victim choices). Please do not sign up for the game and then disappear.

2. If you somehow manage to get a hold of the identity of the puppeteer, you are not allowed to share them with anyone else using any means (IMs, PMs, the whole works). Anyone caught doing this will be stripped of their prize privileges (i.e., they win nothing, even if they're a survivor at the end of the game), and they'll be banned from the next Mafia.

3. All BBS rules apply in this game. Go read them. I even made them pretty for you.

That all said, if you're cool with the above, just drop me a line in this thread, and I'll add your name to the Master List o' Characters. No, we have no maximum number of players; the puppeteer will just puppet off more people on certain days. However, we are starting fairly soon (read: Sunday), so get ready and hop on board while you still have time.

Players
(Strike = out of the game; italics = guessed)

An-chan
Bay Alexison
bobandbill
Praxiteles
Slayr231
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

I'm jumping in!
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

This is inspired by Five Nights at Freddy's, huh? :P Still, count me in!
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

(23rd Aug 2014, 02:04 AM)Bay Alexison Wrote: This is inspired by Five Nights at Freddy's, huh? :P

Maybe. I CERTAINLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. :V

In any case, welcome to the game, you two. 8D
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Sure, I feel liked getting killed off next week, so why not?

Slayr231: And added! :D

Welp, guys. Sunday is nearly upon us, and three people playing Mafia does not an interesting game make. GO GET YOUR FRIENDS. HAVE THEM SIGN UP. MAKE THIS GAME AWESOME.

YAY I'm totally in! Nothing more fun than watching all my friends die horrible deaths :D
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

And added!

I'm also extending the deadline for members by another couple of days because four players is still a really short game. :V If we end up here with just four people on Tuesday, then I'll probably go ahead and start.

Great, I'm playing!

Praxiteles: Aww yiss. Added to the game!

Casual reminder to the rest of y'all that we are less than twenty-four hours away from the hard deadline signaling the start of the game. If you want to have fun killing or getting killed, please sign up soon!

Welp, it is Tuesday night, which meeeeans ...!

THE GAME IS STARTING.

Here's the dealeo, though. Should the game end before the Posting Blitz is done, we can do a second round (with a new killer and setting) should people still be interested in playing. (Sign-ups will also open up for a day after that, so stay tuned if you didn't get a chance this time around!) And we can basically just do rounds after that until people get bored. Sound cool? Awesome.

That said ...!

WELCOME ONE AND ALL TO THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WORLD.

Or it will be, should the ride testing go as planned.

That's what you were told when you signed up and when you last spoke with the park's benefactor. Or a shadowy image of him on a monitor, anyway. It might've struck you as weird if you weren't being paid a four-figure check and life insurance for being there. You'd question why you didn't get health insurance, but whatever. Free hotel.

Speaking of! You are now standing in front of it. The building's glass facade shadows the main street of the park, which itself splits the whole shebang neatly down the middle, right up to the old-fashioned fairy tale castle at the distant end of the park. Although you can hear cheery park music all around you, the place is empty. Almost eerie, even.

"HI HI! WELCOME TO THE LAND OF DREAMS!" a screechy voice erupts.

Should you turn, you'll find yourself face-to-face with a giant bipedal, cartoonish pikachu dressed in a blue tuxedo. He mechanically reaches up and grasps the edge of his hat to tip it to you.

"I'm Peter Pikachu, your guide to Happy Fun Candy Land! If you need anything—and I do mean anything—at all, just ask, and me and my robot friends will gladly assist you!"

He motions with an oversized, gloved paw at the windows and doors of the main street. All of a sudden, you see them. Hundreds upon hundreds of cartoonish pokémon peeking out of the stores and attractions, all staring and waving at you. After a few moments, they retreat in colorful waves, emptying the park of non-terrifying life once again.

"Would you like a tour of the park? The hotel? Anything at all?" Peter asks.

You will probably want to ignore that oddly desperate tone in his mechanical voice.

There is totally nothing going on here.

Well, not already, anyway.

((And go! Feel free to RP to set up characters, explore the island, and more. The first kill post will happen tomorrow at 6:59 PM EST. See you then!))

"Yes, actually," Bob pipped up, immediately dropping all of his bags. "Please take us to the nearest food outlet, I'm starving."

"How can you be worried about food?" Bill screeched at his friend. "This whole place gives me the creeps. There were so many weird looking Pokemon just then! And you know what tends to happen at these sorts of events too..."

"Yeah, I know." Bob sighed and fell silent for a moment. "But I decided that I might as well have a full stomach if anything goes wrong."

Bill glanced around and peered at the main street again. "I guess you have a point. Lead the way then, Mr... Peter Pikachu...thing."

When the mechanical Pikachu asked if there was anything anyone would like, Bay wasn't sure what to respond and was glad Bob and Bill suggested the nearest food outlet. A good idea actually as she hadn't eaten yet today except a small breakfast. The trip to the park from her hometown went longer than she expected.

Bay glanced around her surroundings while following Mr. Peter Pikachu. As the group passed one of the gift shops, she noticed two mechanical Chesnaught peeking from the windows. For a moment she thought she heard them cackling. She gulped and crossed her arms tightly around her chest. This was going to be a long week.
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

Peter Pikachu whirrs at Bob's request. And then, he abruptly snaps into attention and salutes.

"Sure thing!" he says. "Follow me!"

And so, he leads you down the main drag, past a colorful-looking arcade, and to a carousel-like pavilion only a few blocks from the hotel. The smell of fried food and hot sugar fills the air, and you probably engorge yourself until you're sick on corn dogs and cotton candy.

You glutton you.

NIGHT ONE

MORNING ONE

Sometime after Peter Pikachu leads you to the pavilion, you head to the hotel and have a peaceful night's rest. Like, the most peaceful you've ever experienced.

Unless, of course, you were a certain murderer and their victim.

Man, those hotel walls are good. You can't even hear the kicking and screaming of one of your compatriots being dragged away into oblivion.

It's probably for the best, given that when you go to the pavilion for breakfast (NOPE. NOT JUDGING YOU. MOST DEFINITELY NOT.), you pass by the arcade to see Peter Pikachu, two cartoonish-looking chestnaught, and a few other robots gathered around a claw machine near the entrance. Upon closer inspection, you see why.

Slayr231 is jammed unceremoniously inside. His lifeless eyes stare out of the machine, and a plush snivy is jammed deep into his wide-open mouth.

You don't want to know what's going on with the rest of his body to make him fit in such a tiny machine.

Peter Pikachu turns to you, and his eyes flicker, almost as if part of him is booting up.

"Ah!" he cheerfully cries as he waddles towards you. "Good morning, friends! Don't worry about this! We've got everything all under control! It's just part of the show, haha! I know! Let's go to the pavilion! Today's breakfast will be served from now until 10 am, after which will be our daily robot parade! You don't want to miss it!"

And indeed the parade was pretty awesome. But then afterwards, you start thinking that maybe you want to talk with the others about the whole Slayr-being-in-a-claw-machine thing.

You know.

Maybe.

((AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. THE FIRST DEATH. Sorry, Slayr, but it looks like you're officially among the Greek Chorus. Please remember to keep all roleplaying and discussion under spoiler tags, as the other players can no longer see or hear you.

In the meantime, players, you have twenty-four hours to submit guesses as to who the murderer is. Murderer, you have twenty-four hours to choose a next victim.

See you tomorrow~!))

Show ContentSpoiler:

"Um." An-chan was not sure how to bring up what she wanted to say. "So, um, looks like someone died? That's kinda, well, I dunno, disturbing, isn't it?" She looked about herself, distraught. "Did the robots do that? They seemed pretty surprised to me... So I guess that means there's a killer in here, somewhere. Has anyone seen anything suspicious?"

"Yes," Bill piped up. "Everything here is suspicious." He motioned to the robots around them. "I can't trust them, and they were the ones around poor Slayr in the first place. Maybe they were surprised about it too, but... well, they give me the spooks. Too cheerful."

"Yeah, and they don't sell hamburgers here," Bob added. "Now that's suspicious."

Bill sighed. "Never mind him, I think food is his coping mechanism after all the previous 'outings' we've had over the years... Thank god for private insurance, is all I can say."

"Those robots too give me the creeps," Bay said, still remembering the way the Cheshnaught stared at her last night. "Most likely someone used the robots to murder Slayr." As Bay pondered over that a moment, she tapped her chin with her finger. "Praxiteles seems awfully quiet so far..."

Bill nodded sadly. "I see what you are getting at. Praxiteles is indeed awfully quiet... and that is suspicious."

"Can you get a hamburger delivered here?" Bob asked Peter, deciding to ignore the conversation.

An-chan looked from Bob to Bill and then back suspiciously. "I think you two are a lot more suspicious than Praxiteles. He might be too quiet... But you two are too chatty." She folded her hands and glanced silently over to Bay and Praxiteles for any moral support. "Yeah, I think that's it. Bob and Bill did it, somehow."