Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

ROLL CALL + More brainstorming

A bunch of us are busy or have mysteriously disappeared over the last month or so, maybe due to kidnapping. Unfortunately, there are still too few of us that such events will impact how much stuff we get going, and for that matter, completed for the 'zine.

So for sake of getting an idea on who has time right now, please post if you are able to contribute stuff for the magazine this month (or for that matter, August). By that, I don't necessarily mean full articles - ideas for them, to give feedback on ideas, etc counts as helping out as far as I'm concerned!.

Also using this thread as a chance to further brainstorm ideas for articles. Besides other threads with ideas started (e.g. Top ten thread brainstorming and existing article threads), saying what articles that are ongoing that you aim to complete sooner or later would be a helpful point of reference as well.

Cheers in advance.

(btw, magazine stats for the month of June and since THE BEGINNING OF RECORDED TIME (also known as September last year) hopefully up sometime my weekend.)
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

My family paid the ransom, so I'm back!

Sorry, I must admit I've been a bit lazy about posting around here lately. I've been strangely social lately, so I haven't written much. Don't worry, with one of my friends heading off to boot camp next week, I should have more time to write. As far as article ideas go, I'm afraid they're few and far between for me...

I believe I'll be able to check out any new articles popping up in August.

Here's one idea that might be worth a try. I was checking Richard's Team Flare idea and I was thinking a Team Aqua/Team Magma article could work well with the ORAS games coming up. We're already aware their motives thanks to RSE, but it might be fun speculating the reasoning behind the redesigns of some of the characters for instance (then again, Team Magma and Aqua has been mentioned a bit from our last Hoenn article...).

Speaking of ORAS, I'm thinking a ORAS review article (like when we did the BW one a while back) could be written once November comes. That'll be quite a while, though.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

First off, something I wrote in regards to the all-time stats I just posted (up until 1st July):

So what has generally done well, keeping in mind the bias against newer articles that haven't had time to rack up viewcounts, and ones released before September which surely had more views then? Well, Nickname articles are a winner it seems. Stuff about TR/ASH did well too, and Top 5/10 articles do generally do well, ranking in the 100s of views. interviews (both a legit one and mock ones) have done well too.

Pokemon Analysis articles are towards the lower hundreds (the first ones made are nearly at 300; bless you, Wynaut). Works are scattered between those too but maybe generally a touch lower. Only one Conspiracy article hit 100+ views. Pokemon places all rank above 50+ each, the first one at 122. The first Gym Reviews line is almost at 100 too.

So basically, more along those lines are good ideas for new articles based on stats (to some degree anyway).
(6th Jul 2014, 07:10 AM)Bay Alexison Wrote: I believe I'll be able to check out any new articles popping up in August.

Here's one idea that might be worth a try. I was checking Richard's Team Flare idea and I was thinking a Team Aqua/Team Magma article could work well with the ORAS games coming up. We're already aware their motives thanks to RSE, but it might be fun speculating the reasoning behind the redesigns of some of the characters for instance (then again, Team Magma and Aqua has been mentioned a bit from our last Hoenn article...).
Yes, judging by the TR article views, I think this would be a good idea in particular. And with how the ORAS article I posted only last week is going as well, I think focusing on ORAS articles some more would also help. Are you/anyone else interested in working on that particular idea?

Oooh, also a Fashion Review article on them could be amusing/fun. =p

Quote:Speaking of ORAS, I'm thinking a ORAS review article (like when we did the BW one a while back) could be written once November comes. That'll be quite a while, though.
Yeah, perhaps.

Another direction I'll offer up - a few times we had ideas for articles that involved other sites or reviewing things, but unfortunately each time that just fell through one way or another. I think this may be worth revisiting however.

But not only sites or general concepts, however. Given that the fanworks compilations are reasonably popular, and the direction the forum is going to go in (spoilers) will be more to do with creative works too (and besides, Wyanut? is a creative project with a bunch of articles that are original writings/creations too), I think it would be good to have some articles being reviews of fanworks as well.

Potential examples? If you want to spotlight a particularly great fic somewhere, that could make an article. A fan artist of Pokemon somewhere? That's doable too. Interviews could also be attempted (and probably a good idea!), but not necessary for an article. As a specific example regardless I will pitch the idea of a review of a well-done fanmade Pokemon comic as well.

Thoughts?

Quote:Yes, judging by the TR article views, I think this would be a good idea in particular. And with how the ORAS article I posted only last week is going as well, I think focusing on ORAS articles some more would also help. Are you/anyone else interested in working on that particular idea?

Oooh, also a Fashion Review article on them could be amusing/fun. =p

Oddly enough this morning I was thinking maybe the references on the redesigns would be better off as a Fashion Review article. Yeah, I believe I'll do a ORAS Fashion Review article, then!

Quote:But not only sites or general concepts, however. Given that the fanworks compilations are reasonably popular, and the direction the forum is going to go in (spoilers) will be more to do with creative works too (and besides, Wyanut? is a creative project with a bunch of articles that are original writings/creations too), I think it would be good to have some articles being reviews of fanworks as well.

Potential examples? If you want to spotlight a particularly great fic somewhere, that could make an article. A fan artist of Pokemon somewhere? That's doable too. Interviews could also be attempted (and probably a good idea!), but not necessarily for an article. As a specific example regardless I will pitch the idea of a review of a well-done fanmade Pokemon comic as well.

That could work. I'm interested in seeing how you'll review that Pokemon comic.
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

They say that the most revered heroes barge into the battlefield at the last moment and save all. Well, they may or may not have been lazy enough to come sooner, but that doesn't change things!

I agree that an ORAS review may be just what we need, especially since we're talking about a remake, so we'll have a lot to compare to and improve upon.

Speaking of fan artists, have you heard of Xous54 of dA? He regularly makes digital art on Pokémon, if you're interested.

HI GUYS and greetings from sunny California!

I'm sorry for my disappearance, but I have now safely arrived on the US side of the puddle, set up my computer, and am more or less in reach of somewhat steady internet access. So, basically, I think I'm back? And thus available for proofreading/article writing purposes. I'll be gone for a bit in mid July due to getting married, but besides that, I'll have loads of free time on my hands now. So yay?

Anyway yes I'm here and I'm available again. I'm not sure how much I can do in terms of ORAS, having never played the original Gen III games, but I'm open to writing anything we might need.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

(7th Jul 2014, 12:12 AM)Bay Alexison Wrote: Oddly enough this morning I was thinking maybe the references on the redesigns would be better off as a Fashion Review article. Yeah, I believe I'll do a ORAS Fashion Review article, then!
Neat. Even if you aren't planning on writing now maybe make a new thread for it sooner so we can offer ideas as well?
Quote:That could work. I'm interested in seeing how you'll review that Pokemon comic.
I'll make a thread myself this week about it.
(7th Jul 2014, 12:21 PM)Hoenn Wrote: They say that the most revered heroes barge into the battlefield at the last moment and save all. Well, they may or may not have been lazy enough to come sooner, but that doesn't change things!

I agree that an ORAS review may be just what we need, especially since we're talking about a remake, so we'll have a lot to compare to and improve upon.

Speaking of fan artists, have you heard of Xous54 of dA? He regularly makes digital art on Pokémon, if you're interested.
Very heroic of you. =p

I have not heard of him. *googles* Lots of sugimori-esque art there. By 'if you're interested', do you mean that you would want to review his work and wondering if we think it's a good idea, or offering that someone review his work? Not sure.
(7th Jul 2014, 08:45 PM)An-chan Wrote: HI GUYS and greetings from sunny California!

I'm sorry for my disappearance, but I have now safely arrived on the US side of the puddle, set up my computer, and am more or less in reach of somewhat steady internet access. So, basically, I think I'm back? And thus available for proofreading/article writing purposes. I'll be gone for a bit in mid July due to getting married, but besides that, I'll have loads of free time on my hands now. So yay?

Anyway yes I'm here and I'm available again. I'm not sure how much I can do in terms of ORAS, having never played the original Gen III games, but I'm open to writing anything we might need.
Hi Anni! I thought as much, and be sure to enjoy that wedding. =p But neat to know that otherwise you'll have more time. Get settled with life stuff first though.

While it is a good idea for ORAS to be a focus I don't feel every article should be about it either. As said, the review/feature specific fanworks is another direction, and we also have other outstanding articles (and also the next Pokemon analysis line too that needs starting).

Ah, and for myself, while otherwise I am around for the month, during the 17-25 this month (in particular the 17-20) I won't be on. I guess the 21-25 I will be able to (just more tired), but unlikely for the first part of that period. A bunch of nearby uni conferences for me. ~ Besides the usual nothing too much in august.

Quote:Neat. Even if you aren't planning on writing now maybe make a new thread for it sooner so we can offer ideas as well?

Yeah I can do a planning thread to get things started. Hopefully that'll be up sometime this week.

Hey guys. Yeah... I've been awful about posting lately. I just got bored, being unable to expand beyond Pokemon in any way, and I feel bad just ditching like that. Really. So, I'll try to show up more often, and I'm still going to push as much as I can to write about other stuff... I had this really good idea about a Phoenix Wright article...

(13th Jul 2014, 01:04 AM)Richard Fightmaster Wrote: Hey guys. Yeah... I've been awful about posting lately. I just got bored, being unable to expand beyond Pokemon in any way, and I feel bad just ditching like that. Really. So, I'll try to show up more often, and I'm still going to push as much as I can to write about other stuff... I had this really good idea about a Phoenix Wright article...

Unless you can relate the Phoenix Wright article into a Pokemon one, not sure it'll appeal to the readers as there might be some Pokemon fans not aware of the Phoenix Wright series or haven't played those games. And it's understandable if you haven't been excited to do the articles as of late. Great to hear you'll try to write again, but if you suddenly get unhappy forcing yourself to do the articles it's all right to take a breather from time to time.

Hi there, Richard!

Agree that you shouldn't try to force out stuff, and we all need our breaks. But I do agree with Bay that PW articles for wynaut is... rather unrelated in general, so I'm not sure how they would fit Wynaut?.

That's honestly the problem I have with this website. Why does everything have to be related to Pokemon? Why can't we take a break once and a while? Just look at TheJwittz: He's the most popular and my favourite Pokémon Youtuber, and he got bored only talking about Pokemon. Now he talks about Zelda, Mario, and lots of other video games, and his show has gotten so much better because of it. I've brought it up many times, and in the end, the only reason you guys never want to try something outside of Pokemon, is, simply, that it's not Pokemon. I feel like if I could write about things I'm currently enjoying more than Pokemon, I could make more content, and better content. Perhaps a Phoenix Wright, Megaman, Monstsr Hunter, or Final Fantasy article. I feel like I could do much more at this current moment with any of those than I can with Pokemon right now.

One problem is if you do an article on say, Final Fantasy, some of us (like me) will not be able to talk about what corrections should be made. Since all of us know Pokemon, we'll be able to discuss which parts needed more explanation and such. Another reason is what I said long ago:

Quote:You have to keep in mind our target audience are Pokemon fans. Let me put it this way. If I write a Digimon fanfiction in a Pokemon board, it won't be received much because the people visiting the boards are interested in Pokemon fanfiction.

All of us have a wide variety of interests besides Pokemon like you, but what stuff each of us are into will vary. You can always do a discussion thread about Phoenix Wright in the "Anything Goes" section or have a Tumblr/Wordpress/LJ/etc. if you're really interested in doing analysis on other game series.

I am in favour of more content in general being put out, but it's just not quite that clear cut - after all, as Bay points out, there are other reasons offered besides 'because it's not Pokemon' (some more specific to suggested articles themselves than the general idea of a non-Pokemon article). Also, a couple guys on youtube doing otherwise doesn't mean it would work out as well - it takes a bit more than that for it to workout, and it is easier for them to write about what they just like, but harder if we're to continue as a team, helping each other's articles (for instance).

If we do other articles, they would have to be rather occasional (not just in release frequency but also just not dominating the Pokemon ones, e.g. when we go through a quiet period), and something that we can help quality check some more. If there were more of us confident on a certain other fandom (e.g. I also am into PW, as is Anni), then that would help with that problem I suppose, but it doesn't get much past the target audience problem.

Btw Richard, I do recall that in the past you expressed interest in reviewing the nuzlocke site/comic, and an anime episode summary website, with interviews if possible. Are you still interested in doing such articles?

I find meaning in what Richard said about this webzine extending out of Pokémon. But I also want to keep in mind that this site has a purpose of a Pokémon fansite, and most of us here are having only Pokémon in common. So, I feel that instead of suddenly jumping into something bigger (like say Nintendo fansite) I believe we can just slowly add in an occasional other article and let it grow on a slow pace. Then it could even reflect our magazine better (like Wyatt holding a Nintendo console, for example) and we could start extending out. While not many of us may be knowing about say Final Fantasy, in due time I suppose more people would join in who would extend our knowledge (and remember we're talking over the internet, so Google is listening to us rn).

Now me personally, I don't really know any Nintendo game other than Pokémon, but I may change my mind if we pull this off. At least, as a reader.

Yeah, thanks Hoenn, bro. I mean, sure, it doesn't have to be a huge, instant change, but an occasional "Top 10 Video Game Bosses", "Do Final Fantasy Games Take Place in the Same Universe?", "Megaman Robotics: Do They Reflect Real World Robotics?", or any other number of articles (that aren't just off the top of my head) would do a few great things. 1: Broaden the audience with fans of non-Pokemon franchises 2: Motivate me to start writing more again, and 3: Introduce Pokemon to people who come to the site for non Pokemon articles.

(17th Jul 2014, 01:47 AM)Richard Fightmaster Wrote: Yeah, thanks Hoenn, bro. I mean, sure, it doesn't have to be a huge, instant change, but an occasional "Top 10 Video Game Bosses", "Do Final Fantasy Games Take Place in the Same Universe?", "Megaman Robotics: Do They Reflect Real World Robotics?", or any other number of articles (that aren't just off the top of my head) would do a few great things. 1: Broaden the audience with fans of non-Pokemon franchises 2: Motivate me to start writing more again, and 3: Introduce Pokemon to people who come to the site for non Pokemon articles.
I suppose that if you pitch individual ideas and others can help in editing (i.e. know what else you are going to write about) then it could be considered. (So probably a good idea to check that first?) That means that if there are people around now who know about that fandom, then it may be considered. (That said, ideas like top ten ___ across all fandoms are probably best suited when we have more people full stop, and also are just hard lists to create to begin with, but I believe more on that has been said previously. In short, maybe stick to a specific fandom for new non-pokemon article ideas, rather than multiple, for now).

Reposting btw:
Quote:Btw Richard, I do recall that in the past you expressed interest in reviewing the nuzlocke site/comic, and an anime episode summary website, with interviews if possible. Are you still interested in doing such articles?
=p

And back to uni conferences and events I go!

Bumpity bump.

I guess this can be a re-confirmation on who is around this month as the new one rolled by six days ago. Also a minor poke on some ideas floated up here that could use a thread being created for them, if only for early plotting out/feedback. Speaking of which, I did so myself about ten minutes ago re: the general idea reviewing fan works with a specific example of something I'd like to review. Check that out. :V

You dit it wrong, it's "bumpity bazizzityzizzle".