Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Eurovision 2014

Music 
Anyone watching it this year? Any favorites/least favorites, or opinions about your own country's (or a country you just happen to have close ties to otherwise) song? For the record, the semifinals are airing today and Thursday at 20:00 GMT and last for two hours, and then the finals are on Saturday at the same time but last a whole lot longer. If anyone wants to watch but does not have access to a TV channel that actually airs them, there's a feed on the official website.

For me, personally, this years songs have been especially bad, but who knows! Maybe they pull off the stage shows so well they convince me.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Dude, I wish I could watch it, but my internet's shoddy and very limiting this month (i.e., I don't have as much bandwidth to do whatever I want unless I hog a Starbucks hotspot). I love it when hilariously bad songs pop up in a Eurovision batch. I mean, I got into Eurovision in the first place because of the hilarity that was Ireland's 2011 or 2012 entry. Can't remember which. The year Jedward decided it was the 80s again. It was amazing.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

Incidentally, Ireland sent in Jedward both of those years, so either way, you're right :D 2011 was their first year representing Ireland, though.

This year it's looking like a general crapfest. Here's a select few videos for more efficient watching, if you can still watch videos.

San Marino sent in Valentina Monetta again - you know, the facebook song lady - and while her song is a ballad this time around, it doesn't really work any better for me. I feel really bad for her because she's apparently a reasonably popular jazz singer, but they never send her in with a jazz song...

Then there's Portugal's attempt to bring the bar lower for everyone with a badly made copy of the song(s) Turkey and Greece won with in 2004 and 2005, respectively. It's got that Middle-Eastern dance beat, inane lyrics in Portugese, a hot singer with hardly any clothes on, scantily clad female background singers, oiled leather pants drummer guys, and a random black guy with skin paint prancing around. It's a mess. It's so bad it's not really even funny anymore. It got eliminated in the first semifinal.

Belarus, who often send in stuff that makes me mostly laugh, doesn't disappoint this year either. They sent in a weird hip-hop/pop hybrid in which the male singer spends the entire song complaining about how he wants to break up with his girlfriend because she calls him her sweet cheesecake. There's not even any self-irony or intentional humor in that song. The video is especially hilarious.

Belgium sent in a slightly overweight guy who sings a ballad so cheesy and dramatic that it would be bad even if he wasn't singing about his mother and how she's his guiding light, makes everything better, and is way smarter than he is. It got, quite rightfully, disqualified, but jeeeez. What were they thinking? The song would fit well in a musical if the guy's mom had just died, otherwise there's really just no excuse for the whole debacle. Especially the dancer reaching for his face dramatically near the end is just like... urgh. She elevates this song to a new level of disturbing.

Iceland's entry consists of what is effectively a children's band - consisting of only teachers - in colorful clothes singing about how bullying and discrimination is bad. The song is catchy, but extremely childish, and yet against all odds it qualified for the finals. Go figure!

And then there's Poland's entry which is basically boobs and little else. We'll see what happens with that, lol.

Meanwhile, my personal favorites this year are Italy and Israel, which also just so happen to be some of the only songs I actually like this year. There's a couple of okay ones - surprisingly enough, Finland is among them this year, after the disasters we've been sending in since 2007 - but most of them aren't really anything special, just not awful. Like Austria's bearded drag queen Conchita Wurst. I really wish his song was better, because the guy himself is so awesome that I'd almost like to vote for him. I just really don't like the song particularly much. It's just not bad.

Oh and there's Denmark's guy trying to recreate N'Sync as a one-man version, somehow. He sounds so 90's that I'm not sure whether to cry or laugh at times, and apparently everyone's betting on him to be the winner. I don't really get it.

I liked last year better. Littlecfrown

It's good background noise, I suppose. I may have it one while doing something else like play a game or read notes or somesuch.

Poland has always been disappointing/embarrassing when I watch it though. =(
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Ahahahaha then it has to have been 2012's, just 'cause I know it was the second time they were representing Ireland. It's like, "Guys, forreal, did you not learn from last year?" And they're like, "NOPE. LET'S SEND IN SHINY SILVER ROBOT PEOPLE AND 80S-STYLE BACKUP DANCERS." Like I said, amaaaaazing. And then I got their song stuck in my head for a solid month.

Also, re, Iceland, well! To be fair, Russia had grandmothers in 2012, and they did A-OK, amirite? :V
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

Yeah Russia's babushkas did really well, actually. Didn't they come in second? But I can only assume that Russia's officials are still embarrassed about that, because they haven't let actual Russians choose their entry since then. They have some kind of panel that just names a representative without asking for anyone's opinions... And the songs they've been sending have been sooooo cheesy and so calculated that it's kind of awkward. I wish they'd let the people choose again.

Over here they've made a whole several-month-long money-making process out of choosing Finland's entry. It's called the New Music's Competition, and literally anyone can enter. It's basically some kind of wonky version of American Idol or X-Factor, almost, where they have a couple of rounds and you vote for folks you want to keep in the competition. The whole thing is relatively unpopular, though, funnily enough, and most people don't watch anything beyond the finals, where the actual entry is chosen. I don't really even watch the finals. We choose crap songs every year anyhow. :D This year it's not half bad, just kinda boy-band-ish and bland.

BUT DENMARK. Seriously Denmark. If you thought Jedward was hilarious, then Denmark's entry should be somewhat funny too, because their guy is basically channeling N'Sync and Backstreet Boys without bothering to gather an actual band around himself. It sounds, looks, and feels exactly like a boy band song, somehow without being one. And the sound is so 90's... But they're predicting it's actually going to win this year, which I find weird. But maybe my generation is all for the nostalgia, or something?

(Jedward's encore is made potentially even more confusing/hilarious by the fact Ireland still holds the record of most wins in Eurovision, and the longest win streak by far - they won in 92, 93, 94, and 96. Somehow they were REALLY good at this at one point, and now they haven't even been making the top five in yeeeeeears... Though it's still better than France, who haven't won since the 70's, lol)