Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Favourite Writers

Who are your favourite writers, of either fics or published books (or otherwise, e.g. bloggers)?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Oooh, I have a whole bunch!

Diana Wynne Jones - the writer who changed the way I view writing, and whose books confirmed that I truly want to be a writer. DWJ's books were the first fantasy books I read that were whimsical, serious and funny at the same time, and that managed to be epic without any evil overlords or the fate of the world being in balance. Basically, she showed me that I really can write the thing I want to write without being bound by the things others have written. She also showed me that it's entirely possible to write books children and adults can enjoy just as much. Basically, reading her books changed my life, and I will forever be indebted to her for that.

Allie Brosh - of Hyperbole and a Half fame, she is hands down the funniest internet person I have ever come across. But not only is she funny, she's also strangely insightful, and does a brilliant job of the serious-but-funny brand of storytelling. Also, her drawings are masterful in their awfulness. She rocks. Plus, she counts as both a blogger and a published author now! Happydee

J. R. R. Tolkien - I'll admit that his actual writing isn't always the best, or even particularly good at times, but his books defined my childhood and shaped my thinking. The Hobbit is what got me started out on fantasy, what got me totally into dragons and magic and elves and quests, and I devoured a bunch of his books while I was still too young to be bogged down by awkward writing. I really loved his historical-sounding language, his place names and the sense of reality in his fantasy books, as well as the painstaking attention he paid to all the little details. He awed me, and he still does to this day.

Ursula K. LeGuin - If Tolkien taught me the power of imagination and the reality hidden in fantasy, and DWJ taught me that I don't have to be bound down by the imagination of others, LeGuin taught me that no matter what you write about, your language can be beautiful. She writes fantasy, and it can even be pretty epic and lean in the direction of high fantasy, but she doesn't fall into conventions with her words. She writes beautifully, no matter what. When I read Tales of Earthsea, and then the Annals of the Western Shore, and then Lavinia (which, by the way, everyone needs to read), she taught me that the art of writing isn't just in the story and the characters, but the actual words as well. It's not just poetry and fancy literary fiction that get to actually move you by the sheer choice of words on behalf of the author, but genre fiction can actually do it, too. And that's why I'll never stop loving her books. Though, I've yet to read any of her scifi, which I really should get to.

I have a bunch of other favorites, too, but these are the most prominent for me. Like, anything I read by these people is consistently amazing and so close to perfection it sometimes makes me genuinely sad to finish a book by them (or blog post, in Allie Brosh's case, but they're much shorter so the effect is equally much lesser). And I know they're not going to incite the same kinds of feelings in everyone, but I keep recommending them to anyone in need of recommendations on the off chance that they do experience what I have.

Because, dude. The feels. These people have affected me so much, and none of them even know about it! (Also 1/2 of them are dead, so.)
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

PG Wodehouse. Err, yeah, he's quite famous already and he's in the classics and long gone, but his style is just so fresh humour. The way he interprets words (mind, in English that was in transit to our time's English), you'd get all the suspense you need and you'd always get the meaning only after reading the entire sentence. In other words, he makes sure every word is important. This doesn't necessarily mean all he slots in is some fancy words to get a good novel, the short stories (Jeeves and Blandings) are quite amusing and the plot is always worth reading. The kind of stuff he usually writes is that people get into insurmountable trouble, usually due to social factors, and many troubles pour over another, usually involving romance and that people engaged to the wrong people (that are engaged to wrong people). You'd think he's a legend if you read his stuff.