Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

General Sport Discussion

General thread for sport discussion! Maybe someone else out there likes it as much as me. ;p

Talk about what sports you do if any, and/or sports you watch.

At the moment the Australian Open is approaching semi final time, so I've been watching a lot of tennis. Just saw Radwanska get into the semis against Azarenka (who kept making annoying sounds and screaming at times...), 6-0 in the decider. Some amazing shots in that game... but the one last night in which Wawrinka defeated Djokovic in 5 sets was amazing all round. One of the best matches I have watched ever.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

All this tennis talk is making me jealous.

There's too much of a time difference for me to watch the Australian Open. I really wish I could watch it though because tennis is the only sport I'll watch and one of the only sports I don't despise. I'll catch a couple games here and there, but I'm afraid I don't check the sports channels, so events often slip past me.

As far as sports I play, I play some tennis (but I'm terribly out of practice) and some Frisbee golf. Yes, Frisbee golf is a sport. :P

I played football (as in soccer) as a kid and maintained an interest in it for years after, but its since waned in the absence of anything awesome happening locally. Basically, Finnish football/soccer absolutely sucks, and it's generally more of an embarrassment to observe than anything else. We're a hockey country through and through, so it's almost like no other sport is properly taken seriously even. But, hey, it is one of those things we're good at. (Who would have thought, an arctic country good at winter sports?)

Other sports I am somewhat partial to are equestrian stuff (I also used to go horseback riding a lot until the price tag on that didn't really work out for my family anymore) and really random olympic sports events like river rafting. I also like playing Finnish baseball. But I generally don't dislike sports like many of my fellow nerds do. I just sort of recognize it as one of those fandoms ruined by its fans, lol. Which isn't to say that all sports fans are nuts, but, well, there are many fans there with unhealthy levels of obsession and non-negotiable opinions.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Er...
SPORTSBALL!
If a sport isn't hockey, it sort of just... blends with every other sport for me. Plus, being a weak, feeble nerd, playing sports (luckily) isn't an option. So instead I get to make fun of the jocks who are very obviously trying to cover up their homosexuality. Nice! To clarify, I have nothing against homosexual people or sportsball players, but when I'm sitting at a table and talking about Dead Rising woth my friends, and every third word from the next table is either "gay" or "fag", somebody's trying to cover something up. It's just incredibly funny.
Anni, do you watch NHL? If so, what's your favourite team?

The only sport I'm interested in is martial arts, MMA the most.

I enjoy playing Soccer, Basketball, Hockey and Softball too - but I'm generally miserable when it comes to sports that aren't martial arts related lol.
[Image: tumblr_n03zpdRufG1suedwgo1_400.png]

"Hotel Moscow will not forgive anyone who is involved in obstructing our operations in any way. We will denounce and destroy them, then kill their parents and siblings. If necessary, even their pet dog." - Balalaika (Black Lagoon)

Tumblr | Twitter
Follow me on them! :D I follow for follow.

Anyone watcht he final games of the tennis? Interesting drama in the men's final with Nadal's injury and all... Got to say, even before that though Wawrinka was playing the better tennis.

And yay, a Polish player won something after all, in the men's doubles final. :)

I didn't because of timezones, but I read an article about it and I think it's great Wawrinka won the Grand Slam. I got to see him play during last year's US Open and he has potential.

While I'm here, I did play tennis for three years in high school and it was a lot of fun. I stopped when I began university, so I missed it a lot haha.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

Watched some of the Winter Olympics last night - a new snowboarding comp and some of the speed ski-slope races. Pretty entertaining. An Aussie was in the first of those (who actually won a gold medal last Olympics in an event (not bad considering how much snow we have =p)), but she only managed 7th. But considering the event itself it's pretty darn brave and impressive to make it to a final in the first place, imo!

And a Pole won a ski jump event as well (overnight here though so didn't see it). Yay!

We've got a medal too, so far! It's only silver, but still, we're a tiny country that gets negligible amounts of medals in any olympic games so we're happy about anything we can get, lol. The silver medal was brought to us by a female freestyle snowboarder, which is also pretty sweet. We'll see how the rest of it goes!

Did anyone catch the opening ceremonies? I thought they were pretty cool and well-made, but then I probably shouldn't have expected any less for the $51 billion they've put into the whole thing :D

Ah yeah, I saw that finnish silver medal winner (I think it was in that event, haha).

I only saw limited highlights of the opening ceremony. It did look pretty, although there was also the publicised mishap with the Olympic rings. Oh well, one issue isn't much.

I didn't get a chance to watch the opening ceremony but I did heard about the light malfunction.

Been seeing some Winter Olympic events here and there. Ice skating was interesting as several skaters fell down at least once, lol. Also there is one 15 year old Russian who is quite good. @_@
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

Quote:Been seeing some Winter Olympic events here and there. Ice skating was interesting as several skaters fell down at least once, lol. Also there is one 15 year old Russian who is quite good. @_@
I saw that! She was pretty darn amazing, pulled off everything which is ridiculous to begin with, never mind the 15 year old bit. And she looked younger than that too... @_@

*cracks knuckles*
Yes, bow down, other countries, Canada is here. You want some medals? Sorry, not happening, we're taking them all. Especially hockey.

(13th Feb 2014, 04:13 AM)Richard Fightmaster Wrote: *cracks knuckles*
Yes, bow down, other countries, Canada is here. You want some medals? Sorry, not happening, we're taking them all. Especially hockey.
USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!
:P
I've been watching the Olympics and it seems that America is doing well, but not as well as other Olympics. I'm just happy that I'm watching something that isn't all about America. I was watching a commercial and the voice-over said something along the lines of, "And watch as the world cheers on America to take the gold". Really? Are we really that caught up with ourselves that we think other countries are pulling for us to win?

Anyway, I watched the opening ceremony and I really enjoyed it. I always enjoy those kind of things and I thought it was really well executed. There was one mistake, but with that much going on, I'm surprised there weren't more.

That 15 year old Russian figure skater though, holy crap!

I also lol when Yanks (no offense bro, you can call me a Canuck) think America means the USA. It's cool you're not one of those "'Merica, f**k yeah" fellows. Patriotism is fine to a degree, but at a point, it's like "ech".
Anyways, back on topic, I'm really looking forward to the Canada vs Russia and Canada vs 'Merica (also hopefully Sweden) hockey matches. Seeing all of the best hockey players in the world together in a couple of games is just fantastic, and I love the whole "Toews vs Kane" friendly rivalry. Btw try to pronounce the name of that player I mentioned. If you say it the way you want to, then you're merely naming appendages which are a part of my favourite body part, not a Winnipeg born hockey player.

What does America mean then? Going off of experience, I guess when people say America, they mean the American continents. In the US though, we just mean the US when we say America, for the most part. When I refer to the continents, I just say the Americas. Is yanks offensive to some people? I personally don't have a problem with it, but this is the US we're talking about, and there's plenty of wacky people here. :P

I just watched the Russian figure skater for the male short program pull out because he tweaked his back during warm up. Man, that's got to be tough.

Not exactly sure if Yanks is offensive to anyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some that are uncomfortable with it. I think that's enough of that discussion in this thread. :P

Quote:I just watched the Russian figure skater for the male short program pull out because he tweaked his back during warm up. Man, that's got to be tough.

I just saw that too. Right after, the American skater that went up first fell down very hard but managed to get up and pulled off the rest of his program after the crowd cheered him on. Talk about crazy beginning for tonight's men skating. XD

(14th Feb 2014, 04:26 AM)Richard Fightmaster Wrote: Anyways, back on topic, I'm really looking forward to the Canada vs Russia and Canada vs 'Merica (also hopefully Sweden) hockey matches. Seeing all of the best hockey players in the world together in a couple of games is just fantastic, and I love the whole "Toews vs Kane" friendly rivalry.

I see you seem to have left Finland out of "the best hockey players in the world", despite the fact we're twice world champions in it, are currently three places above Canada in the IIHF world rankings, and continue to wipe the floor with the big countries despite having a total population smaller than New York City. We also produce some really hardcore NHL players.

We're also going to butcher you on Sunday. Just sayin'. ;D

To continue the "terms for US" conversation, I have to say that in Finnish, and in most European languages I've been in contact with, "America" refers to US exclusively, and "Americans" likewise to the people who come from there. When you want to talk about the continent, you'd usually say "North America" to include Canadians. I also know that in Japanese the most common way to refer to the US is to just say "Amerika", so that falls under the same thing as well. You could also say "Americas" to refer to the two American continents... But yeah, usually if someone just says "America", I assume that means USA, personally, just because of that language background.

On a funnier note, in Finnish, "yankee" (or "jenkki", as we say it) is a normal synonym for "American". We got an influx of American goods - Coca Cola, bubblegum, etc. - when we hosted the Olympics back in the 50's, and they all came to be nicknamed as yankee [insert thing here]. Hence, we still have a bubble gum brand that is literally called Yank, and we call extra wide beds yank beds and the sort of fridges with an ice maker in the door yank fridges, because of their origin. "Jenkki" remains, to this day, the most common word we use when referring to people from the US Happydee Though this may have something do with the fact that the other words we have available, amerikkalainen (American) and yhdysvaltalainen (US citizen), are both a mouthful. But I know this sort of thing applies to a lot of countries in Europe, so I really hope it's not offensive, lol.

I've been watching the Olympics really erratically so far. I watched men's moguls this Monday, but for some reason the program cut off (ran out of time?) just before everyone got their medals. Then I watched pairs' figure skating. There was a tough one there, too - this German pair did a really bad mishap right at the very end of their program, and basically lost the gold because of that. They got bronze in the end, but they were so disappointed it was almost painful to watch.

Meanwhile, Finland has been doing really poorly so far. We got that one medal, and then nothing... but hey, there's always hockey! And cross-country skiing, I guess. Littlecfrown

Australia's gotten some medals now - a silver and bronze. Yay! Poland has two gold now and may have some more, but it's kinda expected the Poles would do better than Aussies here, haha. Haven't watched any for a couple days though; been watching football (my local team is sadly doing badly...) or been to friend's places.

Australia gained another Silver a night back, which I saw the replay of, in an airial ski competition. He was probably a bit lucky that both the final two jumpers went for high difficulty jumps and crashed, but that's tactics for you - they went for the risk and it failed. Another Aussie who was our flag bearer and an apparently large favourite for a gold medal failed in the quarter finals though, and I've read he got a LOT of funding as well unlike other competitors, some which went better than him in the same event. =/

Poland gained two gold medals as well, one for the large Ski jump as expected, and one in a time trial ice skating event... he won gold by 0.003 seconds. Talk about close!