Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

What'cha watching?

Any shows or movies you've seen of late, or want to see?

I haven't been to the movies for a while, but next week I may see that 2nd Hobbit film with friends. As for tv, I've been watching the Australian open (everyone's struggling with the 40+ degrees Celsius days) and reruns of Arrested Development.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

I would watch the Australian Open (tennis! :D), but ack timezones. x_x I pretty much watch US Open now these days lol.

I've been watching Elementary, Sleepy Hollow, and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, all very enjoyable shows. A little sad next week is Sleepy Hollow's season finale, though. D: One of the shows I've been considering watching (online because I don't have cable nor live in UK) is Dancing on the Edge.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

The only TV show I've made an effort to keep up with is Legend of Korra. It's a really enjoyable series that I have to appreciate because it's not trying to be another Avatar, the Last Airbender. Some of the shows I look for when browsing the channels are Criminal Minds, Through the Wormhole (and similar science-y shows), Worlds Dumbest, and Ridiculousness.

I don't watch a lot of TV, nor do I keep up with shows all that often, but there you go.

Finished Saint Young Men this evening, along with the second of the third-series Sherlock episodes. I've been meaning to sit down and marathon Elementary and the entirety of Avatar (besides the first season of Legend of Korra, which I've actually watched all the way through and which I will totally agree is pretty awesome), but, uh, time. Oh, and same story with Kill La Kill too.

Meantimes, I'm sorely tempted to see the new Leonardo DiCaprio film, just because Leo, man. Leo. Also sorely tempted to see Frozen because Tumblr.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

I'm going to see Frozen for the second time today. In part it's because I'm getting a really cheap ticket from my friend, but I've wanted to see it again since I saw it the first time. It is by far the best Disney movie I've ever seen, and is possibly one of my favorite movies now. With a little extra work, it would have been basically a perfect movie, but Disney fell into its old ways with the villain... Still, most of the characters either subvert old tropes, go against them, or even directly make fun of them. It's the essential fairytale deconstruction movie. It has really cool songs in it. It has an awesome plot and real character development in it. I can't wait for it to be out on Blu-ray so I can watch it whenever I feel like it!

(ETA: However, if you do go see Frozen, don't think of it as the same as the Snow Queen. They have basically nothing in common, and I wouldn't call Frozen an adaptation of the story. It's more just inspired by it.)

I've also been watching an anime called the Legend of Legendary Heroes recently. Despite what the name suggests, it is not a parody, and it is not half bad either. I've got two episodes left, and I'm slightly miffed because it's looking like there will be a second season that actually finishes the plot and explains everything, since there's no way they can handle all that in two episodes. Still, it's been pretty cool. It's a bit tropey at times (nobles are awful, peasantry is oppressed, woe is them), but it's got genuinely interesting characters and engaging mysteries / side plots. The worldbuilding, also, is quite interesting. However, it's one of those "THIS IS SO ANGSTY" type of series sometimes... For example, the second episode starts with a flashback from the childhood of a main character, in which he gets a gift-wrapped package containing the corpse of his puppy, brutally beaten to death. Yeah. It's, uh, a bit in-your-face at times.

In general, though, I haven't been watching a lot of things lately. The only current thing I keep up with is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and besides that, I don't really watch anything much. I've been more focusing on plowing through all the books I got for Christmas.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

I finished Sword Art Online the other day. It was okay I guess, but the first half was vastly superior to the second. It pulled a Star Wars, with the perfectly capable female main character suddenly becoming a damsel in distress. Other female characters also flock to the male lead, to the point where it becomes genuinely uncomfortable.
Show ContentSpoiler:
Δ

>Hajime no Ippo: Rising. The Hajime no Ippo series is one of the best anime's I ever seen, it's shocking how very few people know about this awesome anime. very motivating and could be a life changing anime for many to chase after their dreams because it feels very realistic lol.

>One Piece. My favourite anime/manga of all time, comes out on a weekly basis so I keep watching lol.

That's about it. I've been meaning to watch Shinsekai yori but I haven't got to that yet lol
[Image: tumblr_n03zpdRufG1suedwgo1_400.png]

"Hotel Moscow will not forgive anyone who is involved in obstructing our operations in any way. We will denounce and destroy them, then kill their parents and siblings. If necessary, even their pet dog." - Balalaika (Black Lagoon)

Tumblr | Twitter
Follow me on them! :D I follow for follow.

Huh, I only just now noticed the bit about the 2nd Hobbit movie in bnb's post... I saw it last month, and it was surprisingly good. My expectations of it weren't that high to begin with, after the debacle the first movie was, but the second one definitely had its moments and was generally much, much better executed. Also, Smaug. Smaug is very, very well done, and Benedict Cumberbatch fits him a lot better than I thought. The Kingdom of the Wood-Elves was also particularly nicely done, with Thranduil being just the kind of character he should be, and Legolas being nicely different / more young-behavey than in the LotR trilogy. Bilbo remains well executed, and Thorin was much less angsty and irritating this time around. I had some issues with the movie, but most of them were fairly easily ignored. Overall, it was worth seeing, and now I'm almost looking forward to the third one. We'll see though, I guess.

How has Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D been? I've been wanting to watch that, but it's not airing here yet, and I'm sort of worried it's going to be much more stupid than I anticipate. :<

I watched the second Hobbit movie several days back and I enjoyed it very much, especially the parts with Smaug.

S.H.I.L.E.D.S is a pretty good watch. The dialogue is cheesy at times and the characters take a while to warm up, but some plot elements are interesting and come back a few episodes later. I have a lot of my comic book friends not enjoying it and wanting things to pick up really fast and put more Marvel references. Me personally I'm don't mind too much if there wasn't too many Marvel references as the show reminds me how I liked comic book cartoons without knowing the original source.
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]

I did end up seeing the 2nd Hobbit film, and I also preferred it to the first. Some issues here and there I suppose (the general location of the hidden door was... kinda obvious, how do people not notice orcs running about in a town like that, and I prefer more wisecracks from Gandalf even if it made sense how he acted here compared to the book, and I also wanted to see more of Beorn), but overall it was quite entertaining. And they really did a great job with Smaug.
Quote:Thorin was much less angsty and irritating this time around.
He sure was getting, well, greedy towards the 2nd half of the film, have to say. Poor bugular Bilbo.

May end up seeing Frozen with my sister in a few days, we shall see.

I'm currently watching Eden of the East. It's wonderful so far, with a well-balanced, carefully constructed plot with twists that leave me guessing at every turn. I just hope it doesn't have one of those "this got too complicated and we don't know what to do with it" kind of endings.
Δ

Eden of the East is a very fun anime. The ending was left somewhat open, but there are two movies that follows it (haven't watched those yet, so I'm sure if they're any good).

So last night I watched Sleepy Hollow's season finale. Spoilers ahoy!

Show ContentSpoiler:

I just started watching Black Lagoon. Very awesome anime with a lot of violence and gore. Very awesome, 10/10 would recommend if you love action anime!

"Hotel Moscow will not forgive anyone who is involved in obstructing our operations in any way. We will denounce and destroy them, then kill their parents and siblings. If necessary, even their pet dog." - Balalaika (Black Lagoon)

Tumblr | Twitter

Saw Frozen a week ago as mentioned in the other thread. Besides that, watched more Arrested Development, and on tv a movie called Shaolin. It was pretty good, and had Jackie Chan as a supporting actor. More plot than I expected but it was decently done, and the fighting was entertaining.

The movie sure did like killing off characters though. Hardly anyone of significance left at the end!

Just got done watching Hellsing Ultimate.

After finishing two very dark and gory anime in Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, I'm going to go back to something more light - gonna pick up where I left off with Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Tumblr | Twitter

(4th Feb 2014, 01:48 AM)MinotauroTKO Wrote: After finishing two very dark and gory anime in Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, I'm going to go back to something more light - gonna pick up where I left off with Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I really do hope you're joking, considering that FMA contains at least one genocide and several instances of completely deranged, power-happy psychopaths... Plus other assorted nightmare fuel. It's not gory per se, no, but in no way would I characterize it as as light, lol.

(4th Feb 2014, 02:09 PM)An-chan Wrote:
(4th Feb 2014, 01:48 AM)MinotauroTKO Wrote: After finishing two very dark and gory anime in Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, I'm going to go back to something more light - gonna pick up where I left off with Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I really do hope you're joking, considering that FMA contains at least one genocide and several instances of completely deranged, power-happy psychopaths... Plus other assorted nightmare fuel. It's not gory per se, no, but in no way would I characterize it as as light, lol.
LMFAO true true lol, although I haven't really gotten that far in FMA yet so I don't know about too much details. Only up to episode 11 lmao.

Well I guess I should say light compared to Black Lagoon... specifically, these two very disturbing characters. Just read this character past... disturbing as! Easily the most screwed up characters I've seen in all of fiction.

Quote:In their earlier childhood, "Hänsel" and "Gretel" are forced to participate in pedophiliac snuff films, in which they are either to murder other children or be raped. Such horrific incidents and witnessing continual beatings of other children lead them to turn into sadistic, deranged killers. They have a firm belief that their life spans are extended by killing others. This belief probably derives from the fact that they had to kill other children to avoid beatings in their orphanage years.

But yeah, genocide and stuff like that is not really light LOL I'm just not that far into FMA yet lmao.

Tumblr | Twitter

So! A week and bit ago I saw the LEGO Movie with friends. (Australia only had it come out <2 weeks ago because we suck like that). I quite liked it overall, was very entertaining and had a good number of jokes. A few parts near the end did seem... out of place? Unnecessary? though. I guess if you have seen it you'll know what I'm talking about. =p

Anyone else watch it, or any other movies for that matter lately?

Haven't seen the LEGO movie. Probably I will when it comes to DVD.

I watched the second Captain America movie and I thought it was very fun and entertaining. I also saw the latest episodes of Agents of SHIELD and the plot is charging quite fast now as the events are connected to the Captain America movie.

I saw Captain America: Winter Soldier, and liked it a lot. While I haven't been keeping up with Agents of SHIELD (dropped out around episode 5), I'm interested to see how the movie ties in with the series. I really enjoy in general how the Marvel movies aren't all superhero flicks. Like, the first Captain America was a WWII film, this one was a spy thriller, the Thor movies have been high fantasy-esque, Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be adventures in space. And they're all good! (Okay, Hulk was not great, neither was Iron Man 2, but most of them are solid films and work far outside the typical superhero genre.)

I've also been watching Hannibal. Which I recommend to everyone who isn't gore-sensitive or cannibalism-shy or adverse-to-one-character-gaslighting-another-seriously-Hannibal-is-the-worst-psychiatrist-ever.
[Image: Mine_Dome_Fossil.png]