Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Such a lonely day...

Hello my friends! I was thinking the other day, I really like you guys. Like, a lot! So, communication via the forum is fine and dandy, but thinking back to that Pokemon tournament we did, talking in real time to multiple BBS members at a time is just, well, awesome! I really enjoyed it, and I was wondering if perhaps there was some sort of website where we could set up a BBS group, and if anyone would use it? I just really like you all and I think it would be nice!

We had an irc channel (still do, really), it just got abandoned because everything was happening there and nothing here.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Sorry, I'm not familiar with irc...

I would probably say I would use it, but then forget about it a couple days later. I do things like that, so I'm not sure if I should have a say in this. XD

As bobandbill said, we do have an irc chatroom but we stopped using it the most part so that there's more activity in this site. We can encourage one another to exchange each other's Skype (a chat client), for instance.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

Oh yeah, Skype would do good. You could even set up a Skype BBS chatroom.

If we go with Skype, I'll give you one guess on what my username is.

I'm down with Skype.

My handle is bobnbill. (BECAUSE SOMEONE TOOK BOBANDBILL AAAAAAAA)
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Stepping in to say ...

(14th Jan 2014, 07:51 AM)Hoenn Wrote: You could even set up a Skype BBS chatroom.

... I highly advise that you do not do this.

I would also recommend that you do not coordinate a board-wide "let's all get on a single chat host" (beyond board-wide events, naturally). There are multiple options for chat services, and coordinating when you all talk to individual members should be between you and individual members via private/profile communication. As in, the whole point of putting profile fields for different messaging systems is so that you'll look at them, trade information, and coordinate something off the board between yourselves if you so desire. I would recommend not using the public board to coordinate that.

The reason why I say this is because we're forgetting one major thing about the reason why we stopped using the channel. It wasn't just because activity had been shifted. It was because it promoted clique behavior and discouraged people who weren't active in the channel and had no desire to be active in the channel to participate in The BBS at all.

I mean, not that it really matters that much because activity in The BBS proper has dropped down to a handful of people, judging by my outside observations (hence why I have not been an active force and why I've disconnected the board from the main site), but I'm just saying that given the fact that the board outside of the Magazine is struggling, it would very likely be a bad move to coordinate closed means of communication unless you're of the opinion that this board is a private community.
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

(15th Jan 2014, 08:57 AM)Jax Wrote: Stepping in to say ...

(14th Jan 2014, 07:51 AM)Hoenn Wrote: You could even set up a Skype BBS chatroom.

... I highly advise that you do not do this.

I would also recommend that you do not coordinate a board-wide "let's all get on a single chat host" (beyond board-wide events, naturally). There are multiple options for chat services, and coordinating when you all talk to individual members should be between you and individual members via private/profile communication. As in, the whole point of putting profile fields for different messaging systems is so that you'll look at them, trade information, and coordinate something off the board between yourselves if you so desire. I would recommend not using the public board to coordinate that.

The reason why I say this is because we're forgetting one major thing about the reason why we stopped using the channel. It wasn't just because activity had been shifted. It was because it promoted clique behavior and discouraged people who weren't active in the channel and had no desire to be active in the channel to participate in The BBS at all.

I mean, not that it really matters that much because activity in The BBS proper has dropped down to a handful of people, judging by my outside observations (hence why I have not been an active force and why I've disconnected the board from the main site), but I'm just saying that given the fact that the board outside of the Magazine is struggling, it would very likely be a bad move to coordinate closed means of communication unless you're of the opinion that this board is a private community.

I've got to quote your signature here. Punch me in the face.

Sorry to get overboard (in more ways than one) by this topic.