Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Magazine Layout + Polls

Hi all,

Thanks to Hoenn pointing out the right section of CSS to look at after I mentioned it in a thread...somewhere, don't recall which one now... and some meddling around on my part, the magazine has ~WIDER COLUMNS~ Colonu

This is good as now images in the middle don't shrink so darn much if they are wide. And it just looks better too.

But - how do you think it looks like to you? Point out anything in the layout that can be improved on (consider both the main page and article pages given only the former has the sidebar stuff, and if stuff still looks narrow/the same to you, hard refresh). Any thoughts on a a potential banner change as well!

And while I am at it, another thing that came to mind was the polls on the main page. We ought to use it more, and try to tie questions to recent articles as well. Any thoughts on that, or suggestions? Say 'Favourite work from Lotad line works' could do, or favourite nickname in future, for sake of example.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

I LOVE the new look, but, looking over a few past articles, it seems some pictures have been deleted because of it. If you look at Top 10 Most Annoying Pokemon and The Truth Behind Team Rocket, there are pictures missing from both. Otherwise, I just think the wider columns just look really damn sharp. Regarding polls, whenever there isn't an article to tie a poll to, we could have a weekly "What's your favourite ____", ____ being a certain type of Pokemon game (third gen, spinoff, Rumble, etc) or favourite Pokemon of a certain type (starter, Pokemon used by a character in the anime, etc). That seems like a fun, low work way to add more consistency to the 'zine.

I like the new look, I always thought the columns needed to be wider.
Quote:If you look at Top 10 Most Annoying Pokemon and The Truth Behind Team Rocket, there are pictures missing from both.
Umm, there aren't any pictures missing from "Top Ten Most Annoying" for me. I don't want to say anything about "The Truth Behind Team Rocket" as I'm not 100% sure what pictures were there in the first place.

I really like the polls idea. I think it will add consistency and be a fun addition to the readers. That way, they can feel like they are a part of something even if they don't feel confident in their writing abilities.

Maybe it's just my computer...

Changing the column widths wouldn't affect pictures being there or not, besides that they'd shrink less. The top ten article also had all of the images there, but the TR one did have one missing. That was just because the image went down from whoever was hosting it, so I made a replacement to that. That should be good now!

Well! As far I'm concerned, the top part doesn't look as much as clattered now. And a small paragraph doesn't look so huge either, so I'm sure those tl;drs will be less frequent for readers. Aaaand I suppose we really need a thread to discuss the magazine layout.

As for the polls, I'm sure a weekly poll will do well. For starters, I think polls can have a pick of topics to choose from. Like ranging from "which article category type should we do next?" to "favourite Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo artwork". The only thing is, I'd suggest poll options to be bigger, so that... well, there's a lot of choices for a weekly poll.

Made a new poll to see how it'll go. Just a standard and broad 'what sort of article would you like us to work on soon' sort of question.

And I was gonna bump this right now. That's a nice poll, too! I voted for Top Ten/Five btw.

Anyway, the main thing is that I want this (or a new one) thread to become a sticky or something (become important) as the Magazine Layout Suggestions thread. That way stuff like the width thing I suggested can be easily done over there. For instance, I'd want to say this:

Recently there's been a surge of articles (everyone's noticed it, right?) so that means that the articles on display on the main page get off it fast (for example Why Doesn't Ash Age got pushed off recently and it was an awesome article) so I was suggesting a more dynamic hover-over-title-to-get-dropdown-preview type of look. All of them appear as small as titles, and once hovered over they expand so you get a preview (not the whole thing obv but the first paragraph like we usually do).

Personally, I feel that it helps a bit, but it might undermine all the articles, so I'd do this with another suggestion: the three latest articles are already expanded.

If you didn't get what I mean by "dropdown", here's what I mean. - [link]

And here's how the hypothetical layout should work.

[Image: Idea_zpse0ff50ff.png]

Just an idea btw not too serious I'm just suggesting newer things to try out

Thread stickied after this post!

I'll give it a quick look to see if it is even easily doable, I suppose, before considering that idea. XD But sleep calls.

Belated, but I am not sure if there is a way to do that without getting add-ons, and I do not/have not had much spare time to go through those. Next month though it can be done by myself! (Or by someone else if they have time?) I did change the number of articles on the front page to 15 though.

Put up another poll about Pidove line.

From 10 voters for the last one, the votes were...
What sort of articles would you like to see done soon on Wynaut?
Show ContentSpoiler:

That's alright. I think small and small changes continuously can revamp this magazine and probably give our own style out of the template. That way we'll be more original! (if you can call a fansite original xD)

It's unanimous! The BBS is famous for it's top two categories: Top Ten and Conspiracy! SO LET'S HAVE CONSPIRACIEEEE

But yeah though, I guess we could focus on the conspiracy and top ten part.

So, the top lists are popular then, huh? That's good to know. I'm definitely up for writing another one now that I'm not as busy anymore, but I'm having some trouble coming up with anything... I'll keep working on it.

On the layout: I disagree with Hoenn that the first three articles should be already expanded, because that can make scrolling really annoying. I would personally, as an unrelated reader, always try to find the newest article I haven't read yet first, and start from there. Of course this is a difference in reading styles, but keeping that in mind, I wouldn't pre-expand any articles for the readers, unless they're very short articles. (Or maybe I didn't quite understand what you meant, Hoenn?)

Putting more articles on the first page helps to keep stuff on there for longer... But maybe we could consider having some kind of hall of fame category? Those articles that have the best feedback, or the most reads, or something like that, could be moved into a category of their own, and there could even be a link to it in the navbar so that it's really easy to find the most commended articles we have. Might be good for luring in new readers. Might be bad in terms of fighting the rampant elitism many creative communities have, since I can easily see that going down a very bad road and causing unnecessary drama, as well. But hey, it's still an idea. If someone can figure out a good way to make it work, it could actually be a good idea, even.

Meanwhile it might also be kinda sweet to come up with an actual logo, besides just a mascot. But that might just be me.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Quote:Meanwhile it might also be kinda sweet to come up with an actual logo, besides just a mascot. But that might just be me.
I like this idea, and if one can be created, maybe that'd be a good excuse to have a new banner too.

Also, sometime tomorrow if I have time I will try to get the magazine stats done for the month of October. ~

I kind of like the top articles idea that An-chan mentioned. I'm also concerned about the extra drama it would create, but we seem to be a good community here, so I think we might be able to get a way with it. If (when) we get new regulars that come on to write articles, it could be a problem, but right now I feel like we're all friends enough to get away with it. Then again, we don't want to create an elitist group like An-chan said, so you can argue either way.

A logo would be cool, but what would it look like? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head, but that's probably because it's early in the morning here and I'm not quite ready for thinking. :P

I really don't think it would create drama at all. Just put the, let's say, 10 articles with the most views and comments. Simple, really.

Maybe should wait a while then, as 2 months isn't really that long a sample size to judge which are really the most popular threads (especially with newer articles which need more time to establish themselves).

Oh hey magazine says it's almost the end of October for its timezone too, how about that.

I'm really sorry for the off-topic post, can I just jump in with an administrative website note for the magazine admins?

You'll notice that it's requesting we update to Wordpress 3.8; I'd like to give it a month or so for the plugins to catch up before we do that, plus I've had some trouble with it destroying the web directory permissions on some of my other WP sites (although it is very easy to fix, I'm the only one with web server access!) so... I'll arrange to do the update myself at a later date if you guys just want to carry on doing the other plugin/theme auto-updates if you notice them as usual.

Thanks!
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

...dang. Sorry Kelly, I had updated it before early yesterday I had even seen this thread got a new post in it. >_> (My net didn't want to load forum pages much, so that'd be why). I hope I didn't create much issues with that...

It's no problem! It sounds like it went fine. :D I was just super paranoid about it. No worries at all!
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

The best test will be when the next post has to go up, I suppose. =p Didn't shout at me afterward about anything, at any rate.