Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Another posting blitz?

The last actual even we had went pretty well I though, it just didn't have much carry on effect. Anyone up for another one in say late June/sometime in July? (Link to the last one: http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/showthread.php?tid=953) After all, the forum could use another kick for a couple weeks at least. =p

If so we could also use ideas/volunteers for events during it (e.g. mafia game).

Also random thoughts being thrown in here before I go to bed
- the Fandex (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/forumdi...php?fid=17) is so unused it might as well go. It was a nice idea but it just really doesn't have the interest in it.

- We really ought to see if we can get the RP stuff moving towards an actual thing instead of just a quiet test of the system (which I'm aware I have been rather slow at posting in too half the time, herp).

- If so, then we need to set up boards for it and try to attract interest for it.

- Anyone want a minor clean up of the Magazine section? By that, I just mean a sticky thread or two explaining more how the section works, given its been frequently asked of me on 'I want to contribute how do'.

- Maybe we should implement some simple game threads in writing art. E.g. drabbles/flash fiction, draw a prompt/give a prompt thread, etc. Ideas on this?

- any other ideas in general for the forum? This section has had none of these for quite some time, so I guess people don't pay attention to it.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

I'm up for it. Every time I see a blue Wynaut, my heart is filled with joy. A couple weeks full of that? YES!!

I can run a mafia game and put up a drabble thread (again)! Drabbles are awesome, so yay. I don't know what we could do about the game, honestly, but we can try to work something out with it. My school stuff isn't as busy anymore, so I have a lot of time on my hands from now until the 29th of June, after which I'm going to be gone for quite a while for the most part. But we should definitely do at least drabbles and some other cool stuff!

I can also write up a magazine FAQ. Dunno how necessary that is, though, because from what I've seen on other sites, a lot of people will still ask... But hey, you never know! I'll put up a thread for that today/tomorrow and everyone can suggest more questions to be answered and such.

Do we have enough players for a mafia game? I'm a bit concerned about that, but otherwise I'm totally up for running one.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

You know what we should do some time? Hold a Pokemon tournament. I think it would be really fun to battle the various contributors to this fabulous website and see who's the best.

If you know me then you know I love a good battle so I'm all for the battle scene. I'm not sure how the game of mafia would go with the few people that are consistently on, but I do like the idea for a posting blitz. I've only been into a few forums for a little amount of time and I've never been a part of one. What's so special about a posting blitz/ how exactly will one raise posts and activity on the site?

As for the clean up for the site goes I agree with what you said earlier at the top. I never really got the point of the fandex, I mean I thought it was a really good idea, but when I clicked on it I was a little confused by it and thought it was outdated. The rules thread for the magazine I think would go a long way. How about we take that a step further and make some general rules for the entire forum? I know there was a thread on this somewhere in here and I thought it was a great idea.

The writing section is where I spend most of my time when I'm on here so I wouldn't mind a few new additions. What exactly are each of the things that you mentioned? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but I don't know a lot of fancy forum lingo. I'm finishing up high school so I should have a lot more time on my hands. Wow, this post ended up being a lot longer than I expected.

If people are up for battles then I have no objection. Maybe there could be a theme behind it too? (Say... all pokes share a typing, or baby poke tournament can always be fun). That might be more accessible to people who don't do much in the ways of competitive battling in the first place.

Posting blitz is just prompting people to post about on the forums so to give it activity and interact with each other more, etc. We had a system of more posts = more points gained, and participating in events also got you points. Last time around I bribed people with shiny pokes I could spare, although then not everyone claimed them (far from it =/). So if you have ideas for incentives raise it here!
Quote:The writing section is where I spend most of my time when I'm on here so I wouldn't mind a few new additions. What exactly are each of the things that you mentioned? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but I don't know a lot of fancy forum lingo.
Drabble thread is basically writing a 100 word story about a subject the poster above gives. Flash Fiction is like that, but what you write doesn't have to be 100 words.

As for 'draw a prompt/give a prompt thread', same deal I suppose. But I just came up with it on the spot and idk if there's enough interest for that. There's not even interest in posting images you found atm, let alone one's own work if you look at the art section... =/

Mind, a proper drabble is supposed to be EXACTLY 100 words. Not 99, not 101, not 87. Exactly 100. That's why writing them is a pretty fun writing challenge, when you have to try to bring your word total to a very exact number. It's also challenging to tell a story in only 100 words, but it's entirely possible. I enjoy it a lot personally.

Other writing things we could do is a kind of continuation story, where someone starts a story and then other people continue it as a sort of round robin collaboration. A funner version of that is the Exquisite Corpse, in which the next person only gets a sentence of the last person's portion. As in, a number of people sign up, and their order is randomized. Then, in order, each of them writes about a page of text - this depends on the number of people taking part, but usually the rule is to write EXACTLY a page, so you have to stop at the first word that goes onto the next page - and sends the final sentence of their text to the next person in line. The story that results is hilarious, disjointed, and all kinds of crazy. However, we need at least five or so active people for that kind of thing, because if someone doesn't do their part, the whole thing dies right there.

The fandex is essentially (supposed to be) a collection of various fan works relating to each Pokémon in the Pokédex. We only have a few Pokémon represented right now because some level of deadness happened, but the idea is that you draw/write/otherwise artificate something related to that Pokémon, and then submit it to the Fandex where it will be put up for everyone's benefit. Then, once it's all assembled, you can just go browse it and find interesting works on your favorite Pokémon. Needs a slightly more active member base, methinks, but still it would be nice to try and work on it some more, I think.

Quote: Last time around I bribed people with shiny pokes I could spare, although then not everyone claimed them (far from it =/).

Hey, no frownies! :< I told you at least one or two shinies I'd like, we just never got around to actually trading. Besides I'm still holding out for any potential future Shiny Litwicks you might get, so then I can have one of those. Because a shiny Chandelure is the best shiny. *nods*

Quote:As for 'draw a prompt/give a prompt thread', same deal I suppose. But I just came up with it on the spot and idk if there's enough interest for that. There's not even interest in posting images you found atm, let alone one's own work if you look at the art section... =/

I don't mind a "draw a prompt/give a prompt thread" since I like to get back practicing writing again. Hopefully there is some interest of it here. I"m also up for either a round robin story or Exquisite Corpse.

On the battling idea, I would be more interested in a theme of sorts as I don't do much competitive battling. If it's decided it's going to be competitive battling guess I can try but I'll be pretty much squashed, haha.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

If we do themed battles, I have exactly 3 words: Dragon Monotype Tournament. Also, An-chan, I have a shiny Chandelure I don't want. I got it in a trade and haven't used it since. I'll gladly let it go for a Piplup, Totodile, or a shiny Flygon/ Vibrava/ Trapinch, or really any shiny dragon that is NOT the Dragonite or Garchomp line. Because, seriously, how lame are free shinies? Very lame.

If we do decide on battles I'm all for a monotype tournament, but before I continue on more ideas I have a drawback on the battle idea. I don't have wi-fi at my house so all I can do is battle on battle simulators, my main one being pokemon showdown, and I can't trade. If we have the battle tournament I think it should be a monotype or baby tournament. These are probably the easiest to get into since not everyone here battles competitively and Richard, not everyone has a dragon team so I don't think we should limit it to one type (my type being grass).

The new writing thread ideas I really like. Drabbles sound challenging, but fun and I've done a Exquisite Corpse before where the subject switched between a hall and a ball (it had to rhyme) for the entire story. The draw a prompt/give a prompt sounds very interesting as long as interest keeps up for it. Now that I know what the fandex is I really love the idea, but I just don't know if the interest is there. If it is then I think we should totally keep it and I'm up for coming up with some things to add to it.

My types are Ghost and Electric, so I'd definitely be open to making a team consisting of either of those. That said, I'm absolutely horrible at any kind of competitive battling, so I'm probably going to lose really hard. Doesn't mean I couldn't try, though. Maybe I could hire Latios to help me out with my team or something. I've never liked baby Pokémon that much, but sure, I could do a battle with a team of those. (It'd be like three Pichu and three Cleffa, lol)

Oh and also while I do have wi-fi at my disposal, I have no BW2, no access to a whole lot of Pokémon in White (since I haven't played it through yet), and my only EV trained team is still stuck on my Diamond cartridge because I only have one DS and can't trade with myself. Soooo I'd give battle simulators another vote, personally.

Richard Fightmaster: As tempting as such an offer is, I have no access to any of those Pokémon, lol. I could technically get a Piplup - not a shiny one though - but there's no guarantee of the IV's being anything worthwhile, so. I'm generally a very casual gamer when it comes to Pokémon, so I don't have a lot of fancy stuff. I'm more in it for the fandom, to be honest. As weird as that may be! Happydee

Quote: Hey, no frownies! :< I told you at least one or two shinies I'd like, we just never got around to actually trading. Besides I'm still holding out for any potential future Shiny Litwicks you might get, so then I can have one of those. Because a shiny Chandelure is the best shiny. *nods*
But I wanted to frown. =p Truth be told though? I have made zero trades! Jax didn't have the working wifi for it, we just haven't done it yet, and the other left the forum. Also - no point waiting on that because it's just plain unlikely I would actually find one (I rarely go to the tower as it is, and there's no special way to get shiny pokes on fifth gen beyond Masuda method and/or shiny charm which I don't have the patience/time for). So that's why I want to know if people are actually interested in such a prize as there's no point in offering it if nobody takes it. And if we get around to the trade than 1 out of 3 is still pretty poor.

On the fandex - if we're keeping it, it needs to be used then. We tried to make it active before and it hasn't worked out, and if we're not even having anyone link to images they found in the two threads I made in the art thread over the last few months then there's going to need to be a radical turnaround with that.

I guess battle sims are doable, but I personally don't like them and find the idea of using what is basically illegal not a really ideal option. (Also they're limited in some areas). Up to majority I suppose? If we're to have a vote though then I'm actually against it. Rather go with a simple battle comp with baby pokes or the like rather which is accessible to people who don't do EVs and etc. [Side note also, but one option if you don't have wifi that works with your DS/3DS is the program Connectify Hotspot, which can resend your wifi in a form that does work. That's how I do it in fact - basic version is free to download too].

An-chan, I don't even need a shiny or RNG'd Piplup, I just need the Empoleon line for my B2 Pokedex. See, I simply MUST catch them all before X and Y come out, so do you think you would swap? Piplup for Chandelure?

I think the fandex was a great idea, but there isn't enough interest or material for it to work. Maybe when we have more people and content we can start it up again, but for now I think it's pretty much dead. :/

I have absolutely no wi-fi at my house so I can't trade or battle anyone without the simulators. A little ironic considering that I'm with bobandbill on the idea that DS battling is way better than simulators. As an addition it's way easier for people who don't competitively battle to EV train on those simulators and I'm up for helping people assemble their team. If it does come down to a vote I vote for simulators.

Yeah, I vote for simulators, preferably Pokemon Showdown. It's just so much easier than RNGing your Pokemon, breeding egg moves onto them, EV training them, and raising them to level 100, and it's still easier than PokeGen, which is IMMENSELY easier than the aforementioned method, but it can still be tedious at times.

Well, easier if we're going to go with the competitive comp option. =p (And even then, you can get good pokes without needing to RNG which is arguably cheating too what with the need for an external device, and B2W2 made levelling pokes a much quicker process thanks to Join Avenue). If we go with a baby tournament then there'd be no need for EVs, just having pokes and maybe some egg moves if you want them.

Also - we need to decide when to have it! Anni mentioned:
Quote:so I have a lot of time on my hands from now until the 29th of June
And I have exams end on the 19th (still will have project work and all, but still more time than before then!), so I'm going to suggest a period between the 19th and 29th. Thoughts?

I am all for a competitive tourney, especially if it involves Little Cup/Baby Pokemon. Alas, my DS Lite, while being awesome, is old and cannot access mah wifi. Derp. I'd prefer Simulators then, Pokemon Showdown being the best one, and Pokemon Online being a pretty good alternative. 19th to 29th is also cool for me, but the exact time might be an issue, as I am running on India's Time Zone, which may lead to late night laddering syndrome :<

I'm good with the dates suggested. I may have a few erratic days when I'm gone because it's summer here and my family might go for excursions to places like amusement parks, but that shouldn't interfere with my participation much. I can definitely run at least drabbles and a round robin/corpse, depending on level of interest.

Another thing I could also do is a scavenger hunt / follow the clues type thing, like the one we had before that was never finished properly (because running that was heaps of fun), and a possible Guess that Pokémon game, because that was also fun to do. Also, any interest in a writing competition, anyone?

Meanwhile, since we have the dates now, should we work on possible incentives - prizes, collectible cool things, and so on? Should we just do the normal points/credits for prizes, try the shiny thing again, give out something neater? Should we forgo prizes entirely and just focus on eternal glory and the funtimes of a posting rally? Any thoughts?

Iento, don't worry, my time zone is only two and a half hours ahead of yours... Sooo if someone's going to be totally left out, we can both be totally left out! Time zones are what make organizing these things so interesting. It would be no fun without that whole mess to deal with ;D

I'm for the writing competition. The scavenger hunt also sounds like a good idea. The dates are alright for me, but same issue as An-chan where it's summer and my parents might want to go somewhere. I'm liking all the suggestions so far, this is going to be fun.

The writing competition I'm not sure if too many people will be interested in it, at least for here. There are also a couple writing stuff going on in other Pokemon sites like the World Building one shot contest at Serebii forums and the Pokemon Big Bang at Dreamwidth. Me personally not sure if I'll be able to as I'm already swamped with different writing challenges/fests. I'm fine, though, if others are interested.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]