Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

I'm new (what else am I supposed to say?)

I was referred to this site by bobandbill and I wonder if he'll recognize me... Anyway I saw what this site was about and thought "Hey, I like writing so why not." I was wondering just how do I submit work to be approved for the magazine. I don't normally post in forums' new person thread so I'm kind of stepping out of my comfort zone and putting myself in the spotlight for a second. I've tried writing a couple books before, but I have trouble finishing ideas before I start a book and end up not continuing at all once I reached the point on where I have to make a choice, although I have a new book idea that I think could be really good once I get everything sorted out. I like pokemon (duh), music, writing, and physics. I'm not sure what else to put here so I think I'll just end it.

Hey, Slayr231! How you submit a work to the magazine is creating a thread at the Wynaut BBS Magazine Workshop and then you'll get comments on editing the article. After you finish with the edits we'll then post the article at the magazine's website. I think bobandbill can explain it better than me, lol.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]

Yay, I'm not the newest anymore! Welcome aboard, Slayr231! It's great to see another willing contributor. Is the 'Slayr" part of your name a reference to the band Slayer? If so, then you have good taste in music. I think Bay explained it pretty well how to contribute, so I'll not attempt to add to that. Anyways, welcome, and I look forward to your work!

Thanks for the information and the welcoming! Richard, my name doesn't come from the band Slayer. It actually comes from long ago when I was just starting to get into online games and I was trying to figure out a username for Runescape. I tried and tried and I ended up coming up with Slayer231, but the name was already taken. I dropped the "e" and the name just stuck. The 231 part comes from the fact that it's my favorite number and the last number of my dad's last squadron in the military. Instead of coming up with new usernames for each site I just used this one over and over again. I love it when someone recognizes me from another site. That explanation ended up being a lot longer than expected, but there you go!

Hi there, Slayr231!

I'll add to the info that it's often a good idea to post in a thread what you want to write before writing the article itself (unless it is already written of course), as someone may have additional ideas to go for it.
Quote:I like pokemon (duh), music, writing, and physics.
Sounds a lot like me there. =p What sort of music do you like?
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Hey, Slayr231! It's nice to meet you, and welcome to the board. :D

I'm the same as you when it comes to writing! I can never finish anything - and for me, when I do finish something, it usually feels really wrong. xD We do have a little community of writers on the board, most of which also contribute to the magazine, so I hope we can help you with your ideas if you need it!

Looking forward to seeing you around. Happyc
CamisadoThe BBS Host & Admin ✖ @The_BBS is on Twitter! ✖
[Image: fAcqqCd.gif] [Image: EesTi4O.gif] [Image: JavALFZ.gif]
✖ Hosted in the UK by EvohostingNetwork home pageExtended personal profileTumblr

HELLO AND WELCOME. I've had this thread in an open tab for over 24 hours now, and I've been meaning to post but GOSH SO BUSY. SO NOW I'M POSTING.

Don't mind my caps lock. I swear I'm not a robot or anything!

It's always nice to see writers join :3 especially writers with the tenacity to even try writing books. That stuff is hard - I should know, I want to do it for a living - and it can be very difficult to stick with your idea all the way to the end. If you have problems with it, remember to give yourself time and some leash. Let yourself try some new projects now and then, just make sure you eventually return to what you think is the most important!

But, yeah, the magazine basically works as Bay and bobandbill have explained. Usually you post your idea first and gauge the interest levels, additional ideas, and possible helpers. If you've got something ready and written, you can just post it as it is. Then everyone will come and comment on it and tell you what they think, suggesting improvements, pointing out mistakes, and so on. And in the end you have a finished article and either bobandbill or me (it's usually him, because I have the aforementioned busies occurring a lot unfortunately) will put it in the magazine. Voíla! You're a part of the writing team, simple as that.

We're also very receptive to fanart, by the by. Also original fiction. Our fiction section desperately needs more love.

tl;dr: HELLO AND WELCOME, I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself on our extremely writer-heavy board!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Wow, a lot of people coming to welcome me! Makes me feel good. Bobandbill, I like listening to just about everything except rap and hip hop, but my favorite genres include classical, jazz, soundtrack, rock, hard rock, and metal. I also play 4 instruments in my school band which include: Trumpet for jazz, Flugel for jazz, French horn for wind ensemble, and Mellophone for marching and pep band. Mellophone is basically a marching French Horn and it's so unknown that even auto-correct doesn't know it (apparently homophone is a word though, thanks auto-correct for the new word!)

I just have one more question. Where do I post my book ideas to get feedback and suggestions to the stories? I don't want them in the magazine or anything, and I don't want to make the new person mistake of posting them in the wrong thread. The stories haven't even gone past the idea phase so there isn't an introduction or any form of story writing to go along with it.

Again not too dissimilar to me with music likes! =D But you have me well beat with musical skill there; I just play the piano as a hobby from time to time, and didn't have any real lessons for it so I only know a few relatively simple tunes.

For story feedback, you can use the Creative Lounge section (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/forumdi...php?fid=19) - that'd be idea for that sort of thing.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

(Fun fact of the day! Homophone means words that are pronounced the same but mean different things. Homonyms like rose (flower) / rose (past form of verb 'rise') and heteronyms like too/two are included in that category.)

Jazz mentioned! Ooh, and you're a musician, too. I've played the clarinet for the past twelve years now, and jazz is my favorite thing to play (second place goes to late 19th century impressionists). The whole school band thing is a bit alien to me, but I'd definitely like to hear more about that. What kind of stuff do you play? Isn't it difficult to play and walk at the same time? Also, why are there marching bands at American Schools - as in, why do you march while you play? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I've always wondered about that but I've never really known much anyone who'd have been in one. Or, if they were, they didn't tell me. *shrugs* So I don't know.

Book ideas - definitely where bobandbill linked. Don't hesitate to create your own thread, and don't worry if it takes a while to get responses. The Creative Lounge essentially exists for the sake of discussions like that, and it's been in horrible disuse for far too long!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Thanks for the link! Now to the marching band questions! Marching band involves 2 different types of marching. There is the field show performed on football (American football) fields and street marching for parades. Field shows are 3-4 movement shows where the band works together as a whole to create something on the field. The shows can vary from stories (I saw one based on "The Raven" by Poe), to the show just following a certain theme (like our show this year). The field shows are what bands practice for months to be performed at halftime during American football and at various competitions. Everything in the field and street marching has to be memorized from the music to all the different spots you go on the field. There is also a reason why it's called "marching" band instead of "walking" band. When you march you don't simply walk you have to do a special step called roll-stepping. To give a crude description you stand up as straight as you can and take a step forward. When you take a step forward try to pull your toes as far as you can up and make sure to keep your leg straight. You then "roll" your way through the step and repeat the process on your other foot. If you're doing this right you will feel minimal bounce on your upper body and that's how we play long notes without messing up the note. The whole purpose of marching band is like any other band, to perform a different style of music to a different crowd. Street marching is the more popular side with the crowd, but it is absolute misery for the marchers. It's hard to explain what's so miserable about it, but marching an almost straight path playing one song over and over again for an hour tends to get old.

I don't think you know what you signed up for when you asked those questions about marching band and in case you can't tell I'm very passionate about band and it's going to break my heart when I have to leave it at the end of this school year as it is my senior year in high school. Anyway, if you want to see what field shows are all about here is a link to my school's show which took 4th overall out of 20+ bands in the competition, but the judges don't really like our school much and I'll tell you more about the unfairness and politics that go on at the competitions if you want to learn more, but for now here is our show entitled "The Tribal Affect":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4AQfeNZGdA

Why hello there! I am Latios, your resident Lati fanatic. Always nice to see new writer-y types! Of course, it's nice to see everyone new, but writing and art are the most relevant to my interests SO. Anyway. Hope you have fun here!
Δ