Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

 
Other Déjà vu

#1
~^^~

I Wrote:You awaken in a room.

More specifically, you regain consciousness in your room. With a pounding headache and sunlight directly in your eyes. It seems that you didn't close your curtains properly last night.

You glance over at your clock. The glowing numbers read 7:00.

You sigh, roll over and bury yourself under the covers again. It's much too early to be awake; you can barely remember your own name at this point, let along anything else.

... It actually kind of bothers you, now that you think about it. You can't be that hungover. What was it, again?


Show ContentSpoiler:
Catfish
Reply

#2
> Think about your apparent drinking habit - you know you're not that hungover, but you apparently are hungover, so.

> Consider whether your name is Clarence! Or maybe Lind L. Tailor.

> Imagine that your bed is ALIVE.

> Believe in the existence of a door that leads out of your room!
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley
Reply

#3
> Go to the bathroom. Because you really need to pee also you're thirsty at the same time but you can't drink water whilst needing to go to the bathroom. Go to the bathroom first, wash your hands and get a drink of water.
"We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded." ~ Neil Degrasse Sagan
Reply

#4
> Think about your apparent drinking habit - you know you're not that hungover, but you apparently are hungover, so.

I Wrote:You wouldn't call it a habit, really. More of a hobby. A hobby that pretty much everyone agrees you could probably indulge less in.


> Consider whether your name is Clarence! Or maybe Lind L. Tailor.

I Wrote:It takes you a second, but you finally remember your name and are instantly filled with regret that you spent so much energy thinking about it. Of course your name is Clarence. It's a stupid name, and you're still not entirely sure that your mother didn't pick it just out of spite. You were apparently a noisy baby.

At any rate, at least it isn't Lind. L. Tailor. That just sounds made up.


> Imagine that your bed is ALIVE.

I Wrote:You briefly imagine that your bed is ALIVE. This isn't too difficult, as moving even slightly makes your whole body lurch like it's trying to buck you onto the floor anyway. You feebly cling to your pillow and hope not to go overboard.


> Believe in the existence of a door that leads out of your room!

I Wrote:It's not difficult to believe in something you know for a fact exists. One of the advantages of living on your own is that your stuff is always where you left it.


> Go to the bathroom. Because you really need to pee also you're thirsty at the same time but you can't drink water whilst needing to go to the bathroom. Go to the bathroom first, wash your hands and get a drink of water.

I Wrote:You suddenly realise that you desperately need to pee. You could probably also use a drink of water, now that you think about it.

It seems like at this point, you're not going back to sleep (and nor would it be a good idea). With a soft groan, you shuffle out from under the covers like the graceful sloth and climb to your feet. After a bit of practised stumbling, you make it to the door and throw it open.

The bathroom is just by the kitchen, where a girl is sitting on your counter and eating a sandwich. You make it to the bathroom, do your business, and manage not to throw up. All told, quite a victory.

There's a cup of water on the sink, and you grab it and scull it down. It's slightly minty, and probably supposed to contain your toothbrush, wherever that is. You splash some water on your face and then yeah you throw up, that was too much moving for this early.

With whatever you ate last night out of your system, you lean on the toilet seat and realise you forgot to wash your hands before drinking that water.

This day is starting off just great.
Catfish
Reply

#5
> Consider the whereabouts of your toothbrush. All in all you may be feeling slightly less like you're approaching death after vomiting your guts up, but goddamn does your mouth taste like an ashtray now.
[Image: tumblr_inline_mq2g738c7j1qz4rgp.gif]
Reply

#6
> After brushing your teeth, you go back to your room and notice a TV across from you. You find the remote and decide to watch the television. The news is on.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]
Reply

#7
>Shake the remote from side to side.
"We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded." ~ Neil Degrasse Sagan
Reply

#8
> think about why there is a girl eating a sandwich in your house when you live alone

> regret your drinking habit and quit smoking

> wonder if you have anything important to do today and what the date is

> tell the people behind the fourth wall about your mother and childhood
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley
Reply

#9
> Consider the whereabouts of your toothbrush. All in all you may be feeling slightly less like you're approaching death after vomiting your guts up, but goddamn does your mouth taste like an ashtray now.

I Wrote:Your toothbrush is probably...

Okay, you have no idea where it is. It should be in the cup. Since you're definitely on your own here, you can only blame drunk Clarence for this travesty.

You're pretty sure drunk Clarence smoked something last night too, judging from the taste of your mouth. You're in that sensitive stage of quitting where the nicotine cravings haven't gone away, but your sense of taste has recovered just fine.

You rinse out your mouth with some more water out of the tap and try not to think too much about it.


> After brushing your teeth, you go back to your room and notice a TV across from you. You find the remote and decide to watch the television. The news is on.

I Wrote:You suddenly feel incredibly compelled to go and watch some TV. Despite the fact that you're completely certain the TV is in your room, you step out of the bathroom and see that like usual, it's in your lounge room, sitting pretty on the wall next to the front door.

You make your way careful like over to the couch and find the remote. At least drunk Clarence hasn't made away with that too.

The news is the first thing you see. The weather, to be specific. It looks like it might rain later. That's good to know, you guess, but it certainly doesn't solve the pressing mystery of the missing toothbrush.


> Shake the remote from side to side.

I Wrote:You shake the remote from side to side.

You're really hungover.


> think about why there is a girl eating a sandwich in your house when you live alone

I Wrote:You suddenly realise something that you should have probably been more aware of when you first came out of your room.

Why is there a girl eating a sandwich in your house? There's no way you brought her here - girls don't end up in your apartment very often.

You turn to look at her very slowly. She is staring back and smiling.

"Hi," She says, waving a hand. "Finally awake?"


> regret your drinking habit and quit smoking

I Wrote:You turn back to face the TV, staring blankly at the laughing news anchor. This is something that's going to take a while to process.

You regret the hell out of your drinking hobby. It's landed you in sticky situations before, but nothing quite like 'strange girl eating sandwiches in your apartment'.

And you're already trying to quit smoking! You've been trying for a while now, really, ever since the doctor threatened you with a heart attack before you turn thirty. It's just... not easy. Drunk Clarence doesn't have your resolute will.


> wonder if you have anything important to do today and what the date is

I Wrote:You're pretty sure that today is Friday, sometime in March. You don't have to work again until Monday, so you probably don't have anything on your schedule. You should grab your phone at some point and double check, though. Hopefully Drunk Clarence hasn't been responding to your ex again.

All in all, you'll have plenty of time to deal with the strange girl eating a sandwich in your apartment.


> tell the people behind the fourth wall about your mother and childhood

I Wrote:Oh, she'd like that, wouldn't she. Vindictive witch would love it if you ranted and raved about her petty excuse for 'childrearing'. Well, you're not doing it and you'll be a better person for it.

Also, the people over in apartment four probably won't appreciate another tirade. They're pretty private people - you barely even hear them.
Catfish
Reply

#10
> find drawing materials

> look for a note from drunk Clarence about the girl before you talk to her

> obey any instructions on said note (unless they seem dumb!) if there is in fact a note

> write on the walls behind movable cupboards and under loose carpet etc about how awful your mother is and that you are willing to hire an assassin as long as the assassin is fairly cheap in case the next occupant of the house is an assassin who might take the job

> particularly write out any contact numbers (with area and country codes!) that you and your mother can be reached on

> ignore the instruction immediately prior to this, it was silly

> find yourself a weapon of some kind in case this girl is the daughter of some mafia boss Drunk Clarence wronged

> describe the girl in great detail

> add any detail that you left out due to hangover as soon as your senses recover a bit

> wonder why exactly you woke up so early anyway

> think about where Drunk Clarence went last night and which mafia bosses in the area have daughters

> see red for a bit about whatever will reveal most about your personality and usual habits






> talk to the girl
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley
Reply

#11
> find drawing materials

I Wrote:Your ex was the artist, so all the drawing materials went after you... went your separate ways. There might be a pen in a drawer somewhere, but you can't really be bothered to go looking for it right now.


> look for a note from drunk Clarence about the girl before you talk to her

I Wrote:Drunk Clarence hasn't been considerate enough to leave you any sort of explanation or reason before, and you doubt he's started now. He's still pretty pissed off about that whole 'quitting smoking' thing.

You might be able to discern anything he has done by checking your phone. But it's in your room, and you're on the lounge, and there's a weird girl between it and you.


> obey any instructions on said note (unless they seem dumb!) if there is in fact a note

I Wrote:You glance around for a note to obey. All you can see is that silly poster you stole from your old high school, with the kitten hanging off a branch. 'Never give up!'

Okay, that doesn't seem too dumb. You'll keep it in mind.


> write on the walls behind movable cupboards and under loose carpet etc about how awful your mother is and that you are willing to hire an assassin as long as the assassin is fairly cheap in case the next occupant of the house is an assassin who might take the job

I Wrote:You get a sudden urge to start ranting about your mother again. Thankfully, you don't have a pen to start randomly scrawling on the walls about it. That'd be highly alarming and disturbing behaviour.

Besides, you don't really hate your mother. You just don't have a very productive relationship. Seems like an overreaction to assassinate her.

Maybe you can hire someone to leave her a rude anonymous letter.


> particularly write out any contact numbers (with area and country codes!) that you and your mother can be reached on

I Wrote:Well, your mother lives in-

Waaait. You just said you weren't doing this. There's more important things to worry about right now.


> ignore the instruction immediately prior to this, it was silly

I Wrote:You're starting to think that the last ten minutes of pointless contemplation have something to do with you avoiding the matter at hand.


> find yourself a weapon of some kind in case this girl is the daughter of some mafia boss Drunk Clarence wronged

I Wrote:You keep a baseball bat tucked under lounge exactly for this dire situation. If the girl comes at you, you're sure you can grab it in time.

You adjust the way you're sitting so you can reach it more easily.


> describe the girl in great detail

I Wrote:The advantage of your new position means that you can now see the girl out of the corner of your eye. She hasn't moved from where she'd sitting.

The girl is young looking, with short blond hair and very pale skin. Almost deathly white. Her eyes, in contrast, are very dark, but you can't tell the colour from this angle. She's probably shorter than you, but it's hard to tell while she's sitting on the bench.

She's been watching you for a while now, smiling much too innocently.


> add any detail that you left out due to hangover as soon as your senses recover a bit

I Wrote:Also, one of her hands is completely skeletal and she's wearing a black robe.


> wonder why exactly you woke up so early anyway

I Wrote:Who knows? Judging from the evidence in front of you, you might very well be... hallucinating.


> think about where Drunk Clarence went last night and which mafia bosses in the area have daughters

I Wrote:You're pretty sure Drunk Clarence didn't leave the apartment last night. Fairly typical for the pair of you these days.

You're not sure if the girl is the daughter of a mafia boss. You're just a regular guy, you don't know any mafia bosses!


> see red for a bit about whatever will reveal most about your personality and usual habits

I Wrote:You can't see red! You suffer from protanopia!






> talk to the girl

I Wrote:Okay, you've probably done enough procrastinating. Time to talk to the girl.

You take a deep breath, turn around, and look at at the girl.

"Hello," You say. Well, more of croak. Your voice hurts.

"Hey," She replies, swinging her legs back and forth. "Awake yet?"

"Uh, kind of." You don't really know what to say to that. Instead, you decide to get to the point. "What are you doing in my apartment?"

"Oh, right, you wouldn't remember!" She exclaims, jumping down off the counter. She leans on the couch next to you, gesturing with her skeleton hand. "I'm here to tell you that you're going to die today."
Catfish
Reply

#12
> Blink a few times and experience some amount of difficulty processing exactly what blondey just told you.

> Take a few moments to actually process, despite how difficult it feels.

> Consider, for a second or two, that you now regret giving up smoking because holy hell do you need a cigarette right now.

> Processing complete; react accordingly.
[Image: tumblr_inline_mq2g738c7j1qz4rgp.gif]
Reply

#13
> Ask this girl if you'll come back to life if you die. Or something similar, considering the title of this CYOA is Deja vu.

> Well, since it is your last night(?) alive, proposition the girl to a night of fancifulness.

> Play The World Ends With You. Because it seems appropriate.
Reply

#14
Grab blondies hand and kiss it.
"We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded." ~ Neil Degrasse Sagan
Reply

#15
> WHO IS THIS GIRL ASK HER HER NAME AND HER ADDRESS and then calm down a bit because the worst has happened. You're going to die! :)

> Enquire about why you might be going to die and if there is a way to prevent that

> Play some funky music!

> Boogie.
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley
Reply

#16
> Blink a few times and experience some amount of difficulty processing exactly what blondey just told you.

I Wrote:You blink a few times, mouth falling open as you attempt to process what exactly just came out of the girl's mouth.

Normally you probably wouldn't take such a thing very seriously, but considering her hand (and the fact that your head hurts way too much for this to be a dream)....


> Take a few moments to actually process, despite how difficult it feels.

I Wrote:You've never really been a big believer in the supernatural either. You suppose this could all be a particularly crappy hallucination, but there's no way to prove it isn't right now.

Besides, if it isn't and you ignore the girl, then...


> Consider, for a second or two, that you now regret giving up smoking because holy hell do you need a cigarette right now.

I Wrote:God you regret flushing your cigarettes. If the girl is telling the truth, it's not like you could do yourself any more harm...


> Processing complete; react accordingly.

I Wrote:"WHAT?!" You squawk.

The girl sighs and hops up; for a second you think she's going to vault over and land on the couch, but after a second you realise she's just floating in the air above you.

"I'm gonna assume you actually heard me and you're just freaking out." She replies, folding her arms. "Take your time, it's a big deal."


> Ask this girl if you'll come back to life if you die. Or something similar, considering the title of this CYOA is Deja vu.

I Wrote:You think of a question that strikes you as slightly meta, and decide to reword it to make more sense in the current conversation.

"Can I... not die?"

"Weeeeell. Yeah, you might." She shrugs. "It's not up to me what happens. I'm just the collector, if you will!"

"Collector?"

"Of souls."

"Great." You reply, not even trying to hide how upset you are. "Why'd you even tell me? Couldn't you just let me get hit by a damn truck or whatever and 'collect' me later?"

"It's part of the agreement." She smiles, folding her arms behind her head. "Hey, you should be happy! Now you know it's coming, you might actually avoid it!"

"... Right." You suppose that is a good point, but you certainly don't feel any better.


> Well, since it is your last night(?) alive, proposition the girl to a night of fancifulness.

I Wrote:Well, if you manage to survive the day, it'll be your last night alive. And if that's the case...

"Oi, don't even think about it!"

You start guiltily. The girl is frowning.

"W-what?"

"Don't do that. You did that last time. Don't be that guy."

You look down at your feet, suitably chastened.


> Play The World Ends With You. Because it seems appropriate.

I Wrote:One of the things you lost in the break up was your DS. It's not worth dealing with your ex to try and get it back.

It probably isn't a good time to be playing games anyway. You don't even know why you thought of it.


Grab blondies hand and kiss it.

ERROR Wrote:This is not a command!

Besides, you're totally not touching that thing. It creeps you out.

The girl frowns at you as you stare, so you quickly look away. You'd better be careful not to be skeleton racist.


> WHO IS THIS GIRL ASK HER HER NAME AND HER ADDRESS and then calm down a bit because the worst has happened. You're going to die! :)

I Wrote:You take a deep breath and try to calm down. You suppose it can't be any worse than it is already. It's like the girl said: you know you're going to die. Anything else that happens today simply can't compare!

Speaking of the girl, she's still floating above your head. And you should probably stop calling her 'girl'. You're not even sure if she is a girl.

"So... who are you?" You ask, getting up to stumble over to the kitchen. If you're going to really deal with your nerves and sudden existential crisis, you're doing it with coffee. The girl follows you, hastily brushing the mess she made of your counter with her sandwich.

"I guess you can call me Deja." She replies, resting her head on her hands. "I mean, I don't really have a name, but Deja is ironic and pretty!"

"Deja, then." You fumble around the kitchen, getting the probably not expired milk out of the fridge. "I guess... you're not from around here?"

"Hah, no." Deja doesn't elaborate, and you decide not to ask. You'll be finding out soon enough.

You pause for a moment and bury your head in your hands. You're going to die.


> Enquire about why you might be going to die and if there is a way to prevent that

I Wrote:You're going to die. It doesn't really matter why, and it doesn't seem like Deja is going to help you. Hell, she probably has a quota to fill.


> Play some funky music!

I Wrote:You're going to die. Also, your stereo is broken.


> Boogie.

I Wrote:You're going to die.
Catfish
Reply

#17
> Ask the girl if her last name is Vu. Or if she is from a race of people called the Vu. Or something equally contrived and ridiculous and definitely not possible.
> Ask for details of the last guy. His life, death, sexual prowess. Then wink at the girl.
> Ask girl if you can be killed in only one way. If so, what would happen if you die in a different manner to that?
> Woogie.
Reply

#18
> Check your phone

> Ask Deja if anyone else you know is going to die in the same general time period that you are

> do every second command for the next four commands

> call your DRAMATICALLY GENDER-NEUTRAL ARTY EX
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley
Reply

#19
> Ask the girl if her last name is Vu. Or if she is from a race of people called the Vu. Or something equally contrived and ridiculous and definitely not possible.

I Wrote:You seem to recall there are Five Stages of Grief. Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. Apparently when you're hungover, you jump straight to depression.

You decide to skip back to denial for a while until you sober up. It could be that you just have a life threatening disease and it's making you hallucinate a floating blonde partially skeletal girl.

You put the kettle on, still watching the girl out of the corner of your eye. She seems to have gotten bored with you at some point in your breakdown and is now watching the TV.

"So," You clear your throat to get her attention. Hallucination or not, you should be polite. "You're... a ghost, huh."

"Kinda!" She replies, settling back down on the couch. "Similar, I guess? It's complicated."

"You're not human?"

"Nah." She waves at you with her skeleton hand. "Just a boring old Reaper."

"Oh. Of course."

"And yeah, Deja isn't my real name." She adds after a few seconds of pause. "We don't have names to be honest. It's just easier to talk to you this way."

The kettle starts to spew steam.


> Ask for details of the last guy. His life, death, sexual prowess. Then wink at the girl.

I Wrote:"So... do you always appear to people who are gonna die?"

"Pfft, no. This is actually totally against the rules." She turns and leans on the lounge, watching you fumble a coffee together. "Sensitive people close to death can sometimes see us, but you're not supposed to make contact or anything."

You frown, the obvious question coming to mind. She sighs and continues talking before you can open your mouth.

"Look, it's all pretty complicated, but basically, you have a chance to not die, which is hella rare. I wanted to see if given the chance you could pull it off, that's all." She shrugs. "Don't look the gift horse in the mouth, alright?"

"... Alright."

You sip your coffee. You put in too much sugar and it burns your tongue.


> Ask girl if you can be killed in only one way. If so, what would happen if you die in a different manner to that?

I Wrote:"What do I do to not die?"

"Well if I knew that, it'd be boring to help you!"

"You don't know anything? Is my death set in stone? Am I gonna be hit by a bus at four-oh-two pm or something?"

"I don't know! All I know is that your soul's ticket is up. But I would avoid buses."

"Thanks. Very helpful."


> Woogie.

I Wrote:You have not had nearly enough alcohol to woogie. You'll just embarrass yourself in front of the reaper.


> Check your phone.

I Wrote:It seems that Deja is going out of her way to be unhelpful, so you decide to leave the conversation for a minute and go check your phone. You might be dying or hallucinating or whatever, but until you know for sure, it still seems worthwhile making sure that Drunk Clarence hasn't been sabotaging you harder than usual.

You eventually find the phone under your pillow, and it's flashing and beeping away with messages. You pre-emptively wince, because there's only one person that would have sent you over thirty messages in the middle of the night.

You check the phone. Yep, it's your ex. Drunk Clarence responded to one text and that opened the floodgates. You scroll through them all quickly to make sure there aren't any fresh death threats.

The last text reads "I know you're going to die today. Be careful."

"..."

You frown, looking out at Deja. Normally you would just block the number and go on your way, but...

It's weird, that's all. Normally the threats involve a screwdriver or fire or something. Not to mention it's usually 'watch your back', not 'be careful'.


> Ask Deja if anyone else you know is going to die in the same general time period that you are.

I Wrote:You head back out, phone still in hand. You going to be tethered to the kettle until your third cup of coffee, and figure you might as well see if you can get Deja to give up any more information.

"Hey... is anyone else around here going to die today?" You settle on, because it seems vague and nonspecific enough that she might just give you a straight answer.

"What? Oh, can't tell you that. Sorry. Reaper-soul confidentiality."

"Helpful. Well, can other people know that I'm going to die?"

"Is anybody planning to kill you? They'd probably know."

You decide to stop talking to Deja for a while.

You go and get your second cup of coffee.


> do every second command for the next four commands

ERROR Wrote:Oh, I'm sorry. Does this look like one of those adventures where you can just get all meta up in this and screw around with the commands? Does it look like I have some fancy AI processing all your bullshit?

Honestly, a narrator tries to write a nice story about a probably depressed protagonist and his inevitable death and you just go off the try and have makeouts with the invisible reaper lady or screw with the commands system.

Rude. Angrybracket


> call your DRAMATICALLY GENDER-NEUTRAL ARTY EX

I Wrote:You contemplate calling Arty. On the one hand, there's the worrying text and the fact that spiritual and ghostly phenomena were one of the many obsessions you'd put up with while you were together. You can't think of anyone else who would have the first idea how to deal with a ghostly reaper girl.

On the other hand, getting back in contact because your death threat spewing ex who happened to send you a warning about your imminent death at the same time that a reaper showed up and declared you were past expiry date seems like the exact opposite of a good idea.

Still, you kinda feel like you should do something. If Arty does know something about your demise (or is a possible cause, which you honestly can't rule out), it might be worth having the extra information.

You're not going to call, though. A text message will do just fine.

"how do u know im gonna die?"

After a few seconds of pause, you click send and shove the phone back in your pocket.

You pour your third cup of coffee and sigh. You probably just made a big mistake.
Catfish
Reply

#20
> Be Arty.
[Image: tumblr_inline_mq2g738c7j1qz4rgp.gif]
Reply



Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)