Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Pokémon A Verdant Coup [PG-13]

Narrator Wrote:You are a Snivy named Mint. You are precocious, tiny, and absolutely adorable. You enjoy warm patches of sunlight, herbal tea, good hygiene, and nature.

And you are going to destroy the Pokémon League.

You are in your House. It is a quaint little thing decorated with lots of green. There is a bowl of delicious Berries and a Map on the table in the center of the room. Your Satchel hangs by the Door to the East. There is a Window by the Door.

> Make your move

Show ContentSpoiler:
Δ

> Contemplate your reasons for destroying the Pokémon League!
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

> Reflect on your hate for the Pokemon League using the powers of INNER MONOLOOOOOGUE. Scream DAMNIT MIA. To test if your vocal chords work, of course.
> Check what bounties your Satchel holds.
> Assess your surroundings using interpretative dance.

> Eat a delicious berry.

> Check level and moveset.

> Reflect fondly on trainer.
Catfish

> Contemplate your reasons for destroying the Pokémon League!

Narrator Wrote:You step over to the Window and blink against the sunlight streaming through. Outside stands Castelia Forest—or what's left of it anyway. In the distance, the forest gives way to dirt and tree stumps. Barely visible beyond that, the outskirts of Castelia City encroach. Under the influence of the Pokémon League, the humans have taken to devastating the natural world and capturing Pokémon everywhere for their brutal sport. Cities and towns grow like a disease, fueled by the booming economy surrounding the Marts, Pokécenters, and Gyms the League controls. You'll have none of this. As a Pokémon, you have a duty to restore order to the region. As a Snivy, you have a duty to demonstrate that if anyone's going to be building an empire on your doorstep, it's going to be you.

> Reflect on your hate for the Pokemon League using the powers of INNER MONOLOOOOOGUE. Scream DAMNIT MIA. To test if your vocal chords work, of course.

Narrator Wrote:"Snivy sni!" you shout in a voice that is as angry as it is cute. Yep, vocal cords work.

> Check what bounties your Satchel holds.

Quote:You lift your trusty Satchel from its hook by the door. It is woven from plant matter and has that particular durable softness that only sturdy, well-used Satchels have.

Mint acquired Satchel! Mint now has an inventory!

You open up the Satchel and rummage inside.

Satchel
2x Blast Seed
2x Fresh Water
1x Sitrus Berry

> Assess your surroundings using interpretative dance.

Narrator Wrote:You dance a dance of rage tempered by purpose, of gathering storms, and of Mother Nature's ultimate victory over all things. Any onlooker would see a cute little Snivy hopping around and squeaking. You assess that this is your Home, and that dancing in enclosed spaces is difficult.

Active Buffs
+1 Dance Skill
+1 Nonverbal Communication
+1 Spatial Awareness

> Eat a delicious berry.

Narrator Wrote:You grab a Pecha berry out of the bowl on the table. These are your favorites. You take a big, juicy bite and chew contentedly.

> Check level and moveset.

Quote:You refuse terms like "level and "moveset" because they are constructs of the Pokémon League. However, if pressed, you would probably say you were around level 30, and that you knew techniques similar to Leaf Blade, Slam, Mega Drain, and Captivate. Your nature would be something like Hasty and your Ability could be compared to Overgrow if one needed a point of reference.

> Reflect fondly on trainer.

Narrator Wrote:You have never had a trainer, thankfully. Otherwise you would have been brainwashed right out of this whole "overthrow the League" thing.

Satchel
Show ContentSpoiler:

>
Δ

> Feel awful for completely missing Deenaa's commands. :(
Catfish

> What the hell is a Deenaa?
> Put on your best Billy Mays impression, go outside and attempt to recruit other Pokemon for your cause

> Feel awful for completely missing Deenaa's commands. :(
> What the hell is a Deenaa?

Narrator Wrote:A heart-wrenching sense of shame overtakes you, and you're forced to lean against the table as tears overwhelm your vision. How could you? How could you? How COULD you?

Wait. What's a Deenaa? You immediately get over it and dry your face with your tail leaf.

+1 Getting Over It

> Put on your best Billy Mays impression, go outside and attempt to recruit other Pokemon for your cause

Narrator Wrote:You grab a charred stick from the fireplace and stencil a Manly Beard on your face. You plaster a smile there too for good measure, even though that hurts like a Body Slam from a Wailord. You haven't used those muscles in a while. Not in a non-sarcastic way, at least.

Disguise Unlocked: Littlest Billy Mays Impression
+1 Beardfluence
+1 Smile Practice
+1 False Enthusiasm

You heft your Satchel and step out your front door. Pausing a moment, your hand on the knob, you look back into your house. You wonder if you will ever see it again. Then you turn away, and step into the forest. The sunlight is bright where it shines through the trees, so you shade your eyes with your tail leaf and look for customers viable recruits. Nearby you spot a Pidgey scratching around in the dirt. Increasing the intensity of your smile to almost creepy levels, you approach the bird.

"Hey, how ya doin'?!" you say loudly.

The Pidgey blinks at you.

"I'm about to go take out the Pokémon League, and you should join me!" you continue at an uncomfortable volume. "If you join now, I can guarantee you won't be subjugated by a trainer in the immediate future! You'll also get a free pass to ~*Adventure*~!"

The Pidgey tilts its head.

"But wait, there's more!" You're literally shouting at this point. "Join now, and shipping and handling are FREE!" you say, hands flailing enthusiastically.

There's no way this is going to work. Just as you're about to bury your face in your hands and hope you never see this Pidgey again, however, he suddenly pipes up. "Okay."

"I know, I'm sorry, even I admit tha—what? Seriously?"

"Sure, I'll join you," the Pidgey chirps. "Name's Fife."

"Uh..." You definitely didn't expect this outcome, and now you're not sure what to do. "I'm...Mint. I'm a Snivy."

Fife gives you an amused grin, which is impressive since his mouth is a beak. "Yeah, I can see that. So are we gonna take out the League or what?"

"Getting to that," you say quickly, pressing your fingers against your temples. You had been planning on doing this thing solo. This is A Verdant Coup after all, not A Verdant Coop.

Current Disguise
Littlest Billy Mays

Satchel
Show ContentSpoiler:

>
Δ

> Stimulate the pun-center of your brain by giving Fife a High-fife. AWWWW YEAH.
> Ask Fife about his origins. So backstory doesn't interrupt the action when you're kicking League butt.
> Look for more teammates, preferably a Pokemon that is strong against Ice. Or has a large movepool, or powerful STAB moves. You'll need a well rounded team if you're going to destroy the Pokemon League.

> Check Fife's stats and moveset!

> Check YOUR stats and moveset!

> Determine whether Fife will be of use or not. If it is obvious he isn't, then beat him up for the exp.
Catfish

> Stimulate the pun-center of your brain by giving Fife a High-fife. AWWWW YEAH.

Narrator Wrote:”Hey Fife,” you say, a mischievous gleam in your eye. You hold up a paw. “High-fi...oh.” You realize you only have three fingers. The explosion that had been readying itself in the background fizzles.

> Ask Fife about his origins. So backstory doesn't interrupt the action when you're kicking League butt.

Narrator Wrote:”Sooo,” you say, trying to cover for your failed pun. “What's your story?” You kick your feigned interest up a notch. It makes an audible “ka-thunk.”

The Pidgey ruffles his wings. “Well,” he begins dramatically. “I lived the start of my life like a normal Pidgey until this pretty cool trainer caught me when I was about level 6 and—“

“Whoa-ho-ho hold it,” you interrupt. “You've been caught?” The edge of your tail leaf gleams sharply in the sunlight.

“Yeah, a trainer named Jason caught me when I was around level 6. So anyway—“

“You do realize I'm going to destroy the Pokémon League, right?” You turn ever so slightly so that you can get in a good swipe with your tail if you need to.

Fife huffs. “You do interrupt a lot, don't you? Yes, I know. As I was saying—“

“So how does you being a caught Pokémon and also joining me to destroy the League make sense?”

“Oh for—“ Fife slaps a wing to his face. “Look, Jason was killed during our third gym match, okay? I was already down, and Burgh told his Dwebble to keep attacking. Jason jumped into the match to protect me and started shouting at Burgh. Burgh just said he wasn't responsible for what happened in the arena.” Tears form in Fife's eyes, but his expression is terrifyingly hostile. You take a step back. “The Dwebble kept attacking. It hit Jason with Smack Down. Jason staggered over to me, blood coming from everywhere. He used a Super Potion on me, his only one. He had been saving it for when his party was stronger...the fact that he used it then told me he wouldn't be able to later. I tried to take out Dwebble with Wing Attack, but it shrugged it off and hit Jason again. I'll never forget the sound.”

You realize that you've wrapped your tail protectively around your body. You may or may not have been hugging your tail leaf. “What did you do?”

Fife stares at nothing. “The only thing I could do. I flew away.” His intense gaze meets your eyes. “I want the League to burn.”

Whoa there.

+1 Unnerved
+1 Respect for Bird Pokémon Named After Tiny Wind Instruments

> Look for more teammates, preferably a Pokemon that is strong against Ice. Or has a large movepool, or powerful STAB moves. You'll need a well rounded team if you're going to destroy the Pokemon League.

Narrator Wrote:You look around for more teammates, but don't see anybody who looks useful. Besides, having too big a party would make laying low difficult when you get to civilization. Also known as the Narrator has filled his new character quota for a while.

> Check Fife's stats and moveset!

Narrator Wrote:You check under Fife's wings, look in his mouth, and count his tail feathers. From this you determine that he's around level 25, has a nature that's probably Hardy, an Ability sort of like Tangled Feet, and is capable of pulling stunts reasonably similar to Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Whirlwind, and Mimic.

“Mimic?”

Fife nods. “Jason caught me on his Emerald version and traded me over after having a move tutor teach me.”

“Wait...how...you know what, never mind.” You're not even gonna go there.

> Check YOUR stats and moveset!

Narrator Wrote:You break the fourth wall momentarily to motion in the direction of the commands retconned into a previous post.

> Determine whether Fife will be of use or not. If it is obvious he isn't, then beat him up for the exp.

Narrator Wrote:This guy seems to be pretty legit. You thought all Pokémon caught in Pokéballs were brainwashed by the device, but Fife doesn't seem to be. Maybe he hadn't been in the ball long enough or something. Or maybe he's pretending to not be brainwashed and he'll kill you in your sleep.

+1 +0.1 +0.0001 Moral Dilemma
+1 Paranoia

You wonder what this guy could be good for besides just an ally. For some reason, the words “A Verdant Coop” pop into your head again. Coop. Bird. Wings. “Hey, you have wings,” you declare.

“You're a master of the obvious.”

This quip goes right over your head, because you are too busy hatching devious schemes. You reach up to twirl your mustache and then remember it's drawn on. “Can you fly us to Castelia City?”

“Nope,” Fife replies almost cheerfully.

Your look of disappointment is tiny and cute. “Why not?”

“I don't know Fly.”

You blink at the Pidgey for a moment, and then slap yourself in the forehead. “You can still fly without knowing Fly.”

“Yes, but I can't carry anyone.” Fife preens his chest feathers. You begin reassessing his intelligence level.

Current Disguise
Littlest Billy Mays

Satchel
Show ContentSpoiler:

>
Δ

> Consider learning Attract at some point to try and charm your way through difficult situations.

> Also think about the fact that Fife's trainer was apparently pretty awesome, while Burgh sounds like a dick. Maybe there are humans out there that will be sympathetic to your cause too?

> Try climbing on top of Fife and seeing if he can carry you anyway - you're pretty light, so you could not need Fly after all!

> Whether or not the previous action succeeds, rant about the conspiracy of HMs for a while.

> Once all other actions are complete, decide whether you are taking the hardcore Pidgey along with you, and then get moving already!
Catfish

Notice the scruffy looking Eevee glaring at you and Fife.
"We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded." ~ Neil Degrasse Sagan

> Consider the fact that a small team means you'll be easier to capture. Also reflect on the fact Castelia is particularly known for electric types. You may want to recruit someone else as well.

> Start making your way in the correct direction, keeping an eye out for possible recruits.

> Pick any berries you come across for further use.

> Extract useful information concerning the human society from Fife while you travel towards Castelia.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

> wonder if a non-Littlest Billy Mays disguise might be more appropriate from here
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

> Consider learning Attract at some point to try and charm your way through difficult situations.

Narrator Wrote:You consider it. You're a tiny adorable Snivy, and could probably melt a Regice's heart without needing to use a move. That being said, you don't recall any Snivy you've ever met having such a technique.

> Also think about the fact that Fife's trainer was apparently pretty awesome, while Burgh sounds like a dick. Maybe there are humans out there that will be sympathetic to your cause too?

Narrator Wrote:Decent humans? Nope. Nuh uh. Never. Not possible. You are almost completely close to definitely sure. You think.

+0.0001 +0.0002 Moral Dilemma

> Try climbing on top of Fife and seeing if he can carry you anyway - you're pretty light, so you could not need Fly after all!

Narrator Wrote:You consider Fife for a brief moment and then proceed to clamber onto his back without any sort of warning. He vehemently protests, and a lot of shouting and insults get thrown around as you tussle about in the dirt, scratching and biting. “Now!” you gasp after establishing a firm headlock, “open your wings and flap them dangit!”

Fife glares daggers at you, opens his wings, and flaps them once. “You know what I mean!” you shout.

“Fine,” Fife retorts, and suddenly you're about thirty feet off the ground. The sudden acceleration breaks your grip, and your little arms unwind from around Fife's feathery neck. “Oh,” you say.

“'Oh' is right,” Fife agrees. He's descending with you, albeit in a much more controlled manner. “Can we agree not to do that again?”

“Yesnowcatchme!” you shout, squeezing your eyes shut. Claws wrap around your shoulders, and the wind is knocked out of you as Fife's wings pop open, jerking you both to a halt in the air. The Pidgey gently sets you on the ground, and you immediately fall over as your quaking legs give out. You make an indistinguishable, pitiful noise.

“Well, you should have thought about that earlier,” Fife retorts haughtily, and goes back to preening.

> Whether or not the previous action succeeds, rant about the conspiracy of HMs for a while.

Narrator Wrote:TMs and HMs represent the ultimate encroachment of humankind on the natural order of things. These machines alter the bodies and minds of the Pokémon they are used on, enabling unnatural abilities at the cost of turning the victim into an abomination. The creators of these devices will be held accountable for their crimes against nature, mark your words.

> Once all other actions are complete, decide whether you are taking the hardcore Pidgey along with you, and then get moving already!

Narrator Wrote:You're taking the Pidgey for now. You aim yourself in the direction of Castelia City and cast off once again through the forest. The leaves and Fife's wings rustle overhead as you walk, the only noises you hear. It is serene. You will miss this place.

> Notice the scruffy looking Eevee glaring at you and Fife.

Narrator Wrote:Eevee? What Eevee? You glance around quickly, but you don't spot any Eevees. It's a good thing, too. They're so adaptable that the League has taken to sending them and their evolutions out as spies.

> Consider the fact that a small team means you'll be easier to capture. Also reflect on the fact Castelia is particularly known for electric types. You may want to recruit someone else as well.

Narrator Wrote:You hope to strike a balance between mobility and firepower. That said, a Snivy and a Pidgey are not enough. You'll keep an eye out for other party members, as well as anything else that will give you an edge.

You know that Burgh uses bug types thanks to Fife, but otherwise you don't know what kinds of Pokémon you'll be encountering in the city.

> Start making your way in the correct direction, keeping an eye out for possible recruits.
> Pick any berries you come across for further use.

Narrator Wrote:Actions Queued
Look for Recruits
Pick Berries

> Extract useful information concerning the human society from Fife while you travel towards Castelia.

Narrator Wrote:An 80's-style montage begins of you and Fife traveling through the forested wilds. You climb steep hills, get caught in the rain, eat sparse meals, and navigate around moonlit trees while Don't Stop Believin' plays. As you travel, Fife tells you as much relevant information as he can about modern human society. Topics include recent League activity, battling trends, politics, geography, and indoor plumbing. Eww humans eww.

+5 Human Awareness

You find two Aspear berries and a Lum berry while you walk!

> wonder if a non-Littlest Billy Mays disguise might be more appropriate from here

Narrator Wrote:Yeah, this disguise is getting old. You scrub off the charcoal beard and take the false enthusiasm down a few hundred notches.

Disguise Removed: Littlest Billy Mays

-1 Beardfluence
-1 False Enthusiasm
+1 Adorableness
+1 Cuteness
+1 Snivyness

Just as you're massaging your smile muscles back into their normal places, you take your first step onto the desolate expanse of stumps and dust that separates the forest from the city. Everything is silent. You stop for a brief moment, size up the shimmering buildings jutting up from the horizon, adjust your satchel, and move forward.

Unbeknownst to you, eyes watch from the trees. They follow your movements as you leave little paw prints in the dirt, and then wink out amidst a whisper of fur.

Satchel
Show ContentSpoiler:
Δ

Show ContentSpoiler:

> Do some training with Fife to level up and get even stronger!

> Cover your tracks - you don't want to be finished before you start!

> Put together a convincing human disguise, to make navigating through the city easier when you arrive!
Catfish