Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

[Music] My shizzle

Yeah, I think I waited long enough to make this. Also because all of my music so far is Grimer, except this (practice) track now, which I just want general criticism on.

Mostly synth design and things like chord progressions, etc. I'm trying to learn musical theory now (which is why all my previous stuff is Grimer), so I just need to know if I'm doing it right. I hope some of you are musicians, lol.

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/still-un...-house-wip

And I mean, come on, it's in the key of C (if I did Grimer right...), which is basic, and I use the same chord progression throughout (... I think...), so it's not like this is some complex piece of work. I just want to get better, so I need pushing in the right direction, y'know? :P

Edit: Started a better song, though it's on a different part of the genre scale. I'm not really sure what to call it, but it's kind of a mix of brostep and electro house, so I'm just gonna call it brolectro house, even though it's not really like actual brolectro house. #genrerambling

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/brolectro-house
Edit: Here's a link that's not dead. https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/nope-its-110-wip
I make music or something. Check it out, tell me how much it sucks or maybe doesn't. Love you~

I'd comment on it, but the links don't work. (Unless it is a private sound in which case maybe consider changing any settings/uploading to a place that anyone can view the file without needing an account).

I'm no musician btw, but I don't mind commenting on music.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D

Well, then, SeyedKevin, looks like you managed to insult two different people in the same post, one of whom isn't even present. This is so close to a flame that I'm not really sure what to do with it. Granted, I know you're friends with Nick (from what I understand?) so it's entirely possible this was a joke. Thus, I'll leave the judging of that up to him.

Meanwhile, joke or not, you should avoid that type of posts in the future. We don't really appreciate or approve of this type of feedback to creative efforts. However, I know insulting your friends for fun is a thing some people do, and it's cool as long as it's not being a bad example to others or making anyone uncomfortable. So, if it's all in good humor, please keep it to private conversations from now on, and avoid posting it in public treads, please.

Meanwhile, seconding what bnb said. If you fix the links, Nick, I can give listening to them a go. Mind it might also be nice to add a bit about what type of music it is so you can get the attention of those into that sort of stuff better.
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

On the issue of "Kevin":

That's not Kevin. That's my dear old friend (back from PFU days!) Jack, someone who apparently has so little to do that all he does is torment Kevin, me, and god knows who else on the Internet. He made a Tumblr under my username once completely insulting me, he's made Twitter accounts pretending to be Kevin and me, etc. etc. etc. It's just sad, tbh. Like, I thought I had no life, but honestly, I can't thank this guy enough for making me feel better about my life. Every time I'm down, I just think about how some British kid cares so much about me that he devotes this much time to trying to torment me. :')

On the links being broken:

I took the copies of those specific songs down because I've updated them.

So, let's update this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/still-un...-house-wip
This is a progressive house track I started working on. I'm still unsure where to take it beyond where it is now, and I totally understand that it is kind of stagnant. I'm still working on my musical theory, and this is mainly just a practice track for that.

So if anything sounds out of tune or key, that's what I'm most interested in knowing about. Next up is just your thoughts on synth design, etc., I guess: Do the synths fit together in the song? Do some synths sound out-of-place? etc.

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/nope-its-110-wip
A 110 (except actually 111 and then 121) -- or "Moombahcore" as it's more commonly known -- track I started kind of by accident. I was showing my friend that you can get cool basses if you run the bass through a guitar amp plug-in. I liked where mine was going, and as soon as I did the frequency modulation to make it "talk" (thus the "e" and "a" sounds), I was hooked on finishing this. Unfortunately, like the other track, I'm having trouble thinking of where to take it next, so it's just stuck where it is.

Oh, and I'm just as much a genre Pikachu as I'd been with metal, so this track bothers me because once it's up at 121 BPM, because then it's technically not Moombahcore. The only thing that defines Moombahcore as a genre is 110 BPM, basically, so yeah. Fun Grimer.

I'm rambling because it's 6 am.
I make music or something. Check it out, tell me how much it sucks or maybe doesn't. Love you~

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/untitled-dnb-wip-v1-3
Some drum and bass track I started working on.

Coincidentally, it's 6 am again. Dammit.

Edit: lol

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/still-un...b-wip-v1-4

Hope I'm allowed to necro my own thread. I mean, it's still on the only page of this subforum, so... yeah.

Anyway, I put out my first EP a couple weeks back, figured I might as well advertise it here. (I should really try to be more active here so it doesn't look like I'm just self-promoting and doing otherwise nothing... :3) If you could check it out and just give whatever general criticism, everything would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/sets/ge...e-swing-of

<3

(I thought there was a unofficial universal law that said songs can't go past 13 minutes...)

Not my taste of music, so I can't be the one to judge it. But you made the name of the song match the beat exceedingly well :)

(3rd Oct 2013, 08:41 PM)Evanmastr Wrote: (I thought there was a unofficial universal law that said songs can't go past 13 minutes...)
I have all the songs of the album in a set, so it shows it in one continuous play, but they're separate songs. The longest is like 5 mins. :P

Quote:(I thought there was a unofficial universal law that said songs can't go past 13 minutes...)

Haha, that's funny. I'd say over half of my favorite songs are 13 minutes or longer... But of course it depends on what you listen to as well.

Anyway, to the actual music! It's not exactly my type of music, so keep that in mind what I have to say. I listened to at least some of each of the tracks, so now I can give some feedback on each of them individually! Fancy, eh?

Electirizer: Starts out pretty good, but gets a little boring. This may not be a bad thing, because I'm often bored with this type of music, personally. I'd listen to someone who's more of an expert on the subject. However, in general, it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't have put it down as a beginner's creation or anything.
Powah: This one I didn't like, personally. The overall sound and the repetitiveness just didn't work for me.
Esper: My favorite out of the bunch. It has a bit of that repetitiveness, as well, but that sort of characterizes the whole genre, so that's okay. In general it had enough variance and changes of pace to keep me interested, so I actually listened to the entire song.
Bakemono dance: Pretty good. It might benefit from being faster, I think? I dunno, I felt it had potential that it didn't quite reach. Maybe you could some more of the more interesting sounds in there.
Killing Time: I don't really know what to say about this one. I didn't like it particularly much, but I didn't not like it. So, it was okay, I suppose?
A Swig o' Grog: This one had HEAPS of potential. I really liked it, but some of the dissonant chord choices were a little unfortunate. I'd say maybe 90% of the "weird" chords were perfect, and the remaining 10% somewhat broke down the effect by being a little jarring. If you work on it a bit more, I think it would turn out really good.
Finalé: My second favorite! This one would also probably benefit from being just a liiiittle bit faster, and I think you need to redo the very end, which I didn't like at all. It felt sort of anticlimactic, and not really in a good way. Otherwise, though, very interesting, and quite well made.

Overall I thought you've done a good job here. As I said, I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but it kept me interested enough to listen to nearly the whole thing, some songs being exceptions. However, it sounded pretty well thought out and not sloppy or beginnerish to me, so I think you're doing pretty good there. Have you considered doing things with a heavier sound? Because that would be more up my alley, personally. :D

Also I'm curious. How/with what are you making these?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

(8th Oct 2013, 11:21 AM)An-chan Wrote:
Quote:(I thought there was a unofficial universal law that said songs can't go past 13 minutes...)

Haha, that's funny. I'd say over half of my favorite songs are 13 minutes or longer... But of course it depends on what you listen to as well.

Anyway, to the actual music! It's not exactly my type of music, so keep that in mind what I have to say. I listened to at least some of each of the tracks, so now I can give some feedback on each of them individually! Fancy, eh?
I'll take criticism and reviews of any kind, haha, no worries about context (unless you specifically disliked the genre, of course).

Quote:Electirizer: Starts out pretty good, but gets a little boring. This may not be a bad thing, because I'm often bored with this type of music, personally.

Nah, I'm just still learning variation and the like, so you basically hit the nail on the head with that one. :P

Quote:I wouldn't have put it down as a beginner's creation or anything.

Well that's good, at least! :D

Quote:Powah: This one I didn't like, personally. The overall sound and the repetitiveness just didn't work for me.

I just couldn't get this one to master well, and it fell short of the quality I wanted. Oh well. ┐('~`;)┌

Quote:Esper: My favorite out of the bunch. It has a bit of that repetitiveness, as well, but that sort of characterizes the whole genre, so that's okay. In general it had enough variance and changes of pace to keep me interested, so I actually listened to the entire song.

This seems to be the one that sticks out to everybody. I should've made this track #1, heh.

Quote:Bakemono dance: Pretty good. It might benefit from being faster, I think?

Most EDM drum 'n bass/drumstep is around 174-176 BPM, sometimes as high as 180, and this one is 190. IMO I was pushing the higher tempo... but then I can also see where you're coming from.

Quote:I dunno, I felt it had potential that it didn't quite reach. Maybe you could some more of the more interesting sounds in there.

Yup, variation again. ;D

Quote:A Swig o' Grog: This one had HEAPS of potential. I really liked it, but some of the dissonant chord choices were a little unfortunate. I'd say maybe 90% of the "weird" chords were perfect, and the remaining 10% somewhat broke down the effect by being a little jarring. If you work on it a bit more, I think it would turn out really good.

Can't get stuck on past projects like I tend to, but I'll definitely keep this in mind. Learn from my mistakes and all that.

Quote:Finalé: My second favorite! This one would also probably benefit from being just a liiiittle bit faster, and I think you need to redo the very end, which I didn't like at all. It felt sort of anticlimactic, and not really in a good way. Otherwise, though, very interesting, and quite well made.

202 BPM, Anni, you speed freak. So the piano melody didn't sound particularly weird or out of key or anything to you? I'm kind of tone deaf, so I can't really tell for myself by ear, and I started this track before I learned about simple things like chord progressions and all but liked it too much to scrap it or start over, so I just went with it. I have no idea if it's "musically sound," so to speak... but you didn't mention it, so I guess so. Ramble over.

Quote:Overall I thought you've done a good job here. As I said, I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but it kept me interested enough to listen to nearly the whole thing, some songs being exceptions. However, it sounded pretty well thought out and not sloppy or beginnerish to me, so I think you're doing pretty good there.

It's taken the past 1.5 years of constant trial and error to finally get even this far, but I'm happy I don't sound particularly beginner-ish anymore. :D

Quote:Have you considered doing things with a heavier sound? Because that would be more up my alley, personally. :D

Believe me, I'm really trying to make something that's a good hybrid of metal and electronic, but it's hard. I can picture the riffs well in my head, but when it comes to putting them down...

Quote:Also I'm curious. How/with what are you making these?

Babby's first DAW, aka Fruity Loops. ;D

And just to plug my latest song here too...
狐付き ~kitsunetsuki~
I started off with something kind of hardstyle/hard dance-y and then suddenly had the idea for this funky bassline and then this is what I got. Expect more disco/funk experimentation.

Alright, I've got some commentary. First of all, I do think you've improved a lot. While listening to the latest EP I get a sense of where you're going and I see potential. Here's my thoughts on Electirizer for now:

You've got a sort of creepy/Halloween feel in a lot of your stuff, and this track isn't an exception. Near the beginning there's a sound that reminds me of digestion, and overall it has this sense of being "off." It was a little jarring in your older stuff, but I think you're getting a hold on it, and it's an interesting sound. It reminds me a tad of General Mumble if you've heard of him. Now then: two things. First, your bassline. To be perfectly honest it currently sounds a bit 80's. I'd run your synths or samples through a grinder until they're more menacing: add some filters, play with the parameters, and so forth to get them a bit crunchier. Secondly, the synths you're using for the main tune sound far away. They've either got some kind of spatial filter applied to them like a room effect, or some other thing that makes them a bit soft, and the overall result is sort of weak. What it might be is the decay: if you shorten that it might sound less floaty. I'd tighten that up right between the listener's ears, make it a bit louder, and have it really show itself off.

Ultimately, I really think it's mastering that might need the most help here. Just getting everything to the right intensity levels in relation to each other could make a lot of these songs pop so much more. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about that, so I'm not gonna be much help there. I can just say what sounds good and what doesn't.
Δ

hey

I made a new song

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/olfo

DnB to house

it was fun okay