Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Board Inactivity - let's test something

After observing the activity level of the chan compared to that of the boards, I've decided to conduct a bit of a scientific experiment. I love the chan just as much as the rest of you - or probably more, actually, seeing as how it's brought me together with my fiancé and all that - but I'm starting to get this creeping suspicion that it may actually be sucking some life out of the boards. Or, rather, that suspicion has always existed, and it's something Jax and a bunch of other people (myself included, upon occasion) have raised concerns over several times. So, the question is this: people show up on the chan daily, but do they check the boards? Why do they not post on the boards?

This is not some kind of guilt-tripping endeavor. Far from it. Spending your free time on the internet is supposed to be fun, and you should only do what you consider to be fun. There's nothing wrong with having fun on the chan and not having fun on the boards, per se - it just causes an issue for the boards. Ultimately, I am merely curious. I want to know what's up.

So, I would ask of you who see this and go on the chan this week to say the word applesauce after joining. This is just to see how many of those who frequent the chan also frequent the boards. Applesauce is a good word because it probably won't be popping up too much in regular conversation - at least it doesn't normally - so I can simply keep track of my highlights. At the end of the week I'll report back with whichever findings I have.

And, while I'm on the subject, and I've got your attention: would you mind telling us why you don't feel like posting? Is it just because nobody else does? How could we remedy it? What would make you take part more and be more active? If the chan was removed entirely, would it change anything? What about if the boards ceased to exist? What if you got real cookies for participating?

All discussion is welcome!
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]

- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -

Quote:And, while I'm on the subject, and I've got your attention: would you mind telling us why you don't feel like posting? Is it just because nobody else does? How could we remedy it? What would make you take part more and be more active? If the chan was removed entirely, would it change anything? What about if the boards ceased to exist? What if you got real cookies for participating?

I basically post when I feel there's something that I can contribute to! Which is why I mostly post in the metaquotes, I guess.
It's not that I don't like the forum. I probably would post a bit more if others did, I guess... But I'd still be more of a lurker either way.
Divine inspiration would make me more active!
If the chan was removed entirely, I probably wouldn't complain. I have other means of contacting everyone (including the boards) who comes on irc anyway, so. If the boards ceased to exist I... don't know! I like the boards, but again I don't make much contribution to them, so.
I would probably not change my habits even for real cookies. xD;
[Image: tumblr_m6hd8jjbxc1qmo1ubo1_400.gif]
Inventor of the Shoop smiley

Yeeeeah, not to be a negative nancy or anything, but remember that time we launched that rule where you had to post X number of times to get voiced in the chan?

*motions*
Holmes: Punch me in the face.
Watson: Punch you?
Holmes: Yes! Punch me! In the face! Didn't you hear me?
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.
- Sherlock, "The Scandal in Belgravia"

The girl responsible for this atrocity to mankind. And this one. And these

I mostly don't post because this is my life now:
1. Wake up
2. Do schoolwork
3. Go to class
4. Do schoolwork
5. Sleep

Any free time I can scrape together is spent scarfing down meals, watching youtube, or catching up on a bunch of reading. I practically don't even play video games anymore unless it's with Anni. I mean, I can throw a post in this direction more often probably, but I usually just forget or don't feel like I have anything particularly important to say.
Δ

The rule we had (about the post requirement to be voiced) seemed to do nothing but cause a whole bunch of drama and add some workload to channel ops, unfortunately. But it was probably a step in the right direction. Right now I'm thinking we might be better off just purging the whole chan, because this is getting ridiculous. I know most of us are busy and have a whole lot of stuff on our hands, plus posting can sometimes take quite a bit of effort if you have a lot to say - I know I've put off posting because I knew it would take me a while to put things in words properly and I didn't feel up for it at the time. But that's probably exactly why the chan is making a mess of things. It's way easier to go drop a few lines there than to go through the effort of properly forming sentences and thoughts to post.

I dunno. Maybe we just need to get rid of it, finally. I love the place, but the forums mean more to me, especially when the discussion here is generally a whole lot more meaningful and interesting in general (plus you can add pictures! 8D). Buuut then would that really do much, either? I don't really know.

(12th Feb 2013, 04:26 PM)An-chan Wrote: The rule we had (about the post requirement to be voiced) seemed to do nothing but cause a whole bunch of drama and add some workload to channel ops, unfortunately.

Yes. If you recall, though, the drama started because people were uninformed about what was going on on the forums... because they never visited them. Likewise, additional drama occurred because they had no desire to participate on the board for one reason or another, and they were especially unwilling to voice their opinions on any other medium but IRC PM, even after the fact.

So most likely, you won't get "applesauce" out of most of the IRC regulars. Just saying.

Additionally, most of the remaining non-staff regulars prefer the chan over the board, which is why you never see non-staff here except a handful -- namely old names who come back briefly and Mia.
Watson: I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

(12th Feb 2013, 10:38 PM)Jax Wrote: Yes. If you recall, though, the drama started because people were uninformed about what was going on on the forums... because they never visited them. Likewise, additional drama occurred because they had no desire to participate on the board for one reason or another, and they were especially unwilling to voice their opinions on any other medium but IRC PM, even after the fact.

Granted, I didn't really think of it like that. My main point was that it didn't really increase posting in either case, and it was, ultimately, a bit too much work to actually sustain, because our staff is still so small, as disproportionate to the number of non-staff users as it is. The rule wasn't scrapped because it caused it drama, it was scrapped because it didn't increase posting.

This is one of those really annoying conundrums. Any time this particular subject comes up, posting spikes again, because people do care and do enjoy this place. But then when it's just three or four people talking, it inevitably dwindles again. Likewise, we get a huge spike in activity any time we start a new shiny project, and then two weeks later it's just two people again. I have no idea what to do about that, and ultimately I'm inclined to think we would probably benefit from more people, but theeen... Why would anyone join when we mostly seem to have only echoes and tumbleweed to offer? So, I don't know. But right now I'm the most irritated with the chan, personally.

Quote:So most likely, you won't get "applesauce" out of most of the IRC regulars. Just saying.

Additionally, most of the remaining non-staff regulars prefer the chan over the board, which is why you never see non-staff here except a handful -- namely old names who come back briefly and Mia.

I know. I'm not expecting to. I am, essentially, trying to prove a point, and at the same time letting the chan give us a good reason to keep it around. Not looking too good, though.

(13th Feb 2013, 12:29 PM)An-chan Wrote: Granted, I didn't really think of it like that. My main point was that it didn't really increase posting in either case, and it was, ultimately, a bit too much work to actually sustain, because our staff is still so small, as disproportionate to the number of non-staff users as it is. The rule wasn't scrapped because it caused it drama, it was scrapped because it didn't increase posting.

No, actually, it was scrapped because it didn't increase posting and caused drama. :/

Quote:I know. I'm not expecting to. I am, essentially, trying to prove a point, and at the same time letting the chan give us a good reason to keep it around. Not looking too good, though.

This is a point we've already proven, but the problem is that if we get rid of the chan, then we're not going to channel those users back to the board. They're just going to leave in a huff of drama.

Which I guess wouldn't be the worst case scenario, but at the same time, the point is that we've already run an experiment in which the chan isn't accessible. It didn't result in much. The problem was that we didn't really do anything at the same time to attract people who were interested in the board, which has always been our problem because of our penchant to make up excuses for why we're inactive.

Yet the excuses are rather inevitable, but the problem is that we're just the wrong combination of staff. Some of us have the time to devote to running a forum. Others don't, but we have no one to replace them with. For example, not to offend, but if Latios literally doesn't have time to be on the board, I would've given him a break by replacing him with someone who does... but that person just does not exist.

We're full of ideas, but we lack the motivation and time to make them happen. That's why we haven't grown as a board, not because we have a chan. Although that's part of it too because the chan is full of people who have no desire to come to the board either.