Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

 
Factions

#1
The idea of having Team Evil be an opposing faction to the Pokémon League of our region seemed to get a lot of approval, so let's do some more planning on that, shall we?

First of all, Team Evil needs a name. All and any good suggestions are welcomed most warmly.

Secondly, there's the question of ranks. I personally think it would be really cool to be able to advance in rank in your own faction. Pokémon League more or less already has a rank structure from canon. Namely, the hierarchy within the faction would work as such:
Quote:Champion
Elite Four (size limited to 4)
Gym Leaders
Licensed Trainers

There can be only one Champion, but the number of Gym Leaders is relatively free, and the number of Trainers is unlimited.

Canonically, Rangers have their own system, where you go from a Student Ranger to an Area Ranger to Top Ranger, and then possibly all the way to Leader of the Ranger Union. For Rangers, the evil team can probably keep to a very similar rank structure.

I'd personally suggest we do something similar to the League with the evil team, where it would basically work like this:
Quote:Team Leader
Admins (size limited to 4/5)
Special Agents
Normal Members / Spies

I don't know how this would work for scientists, though, but either way it needs to be all hammered out.

Other questions that need answering:
- How much do faction members have to obey their superiors? The League traditionally isn't all that organized, but canonical evil teams are very organized and seemingly largely based on obedience. It would make sense if low-ranking evil team members had to do what their superiors tell them to do, but this could get quite jarring in normal gameplay. So, how should we deal with that?
- How are the downsides of crime dealt with? The region being a brand new one, there probably isn't a police force in action, which would make this a PvP type situation. If Team Evil can steal Pokémon, cause mayhem, and disregard laws, the League has to have some ways to fight back. Can evil team members be put in jail? Can they be made to pay fines? Can the stolen Pokémon be confiscated? Can their base be raided?
- How much mayhem can Team Evil cause, actually? How much can they bend the laws and general tastefulness? Is murdering Pokémon/people okay? Can they capture people as well as Pokémon? Can they steal unique/otherwise very hard-earned Pokémon/items?
- Do Rangers and Scientist follow the same ranks and same advancement, or do they have their own ranks and systems to follow? Will we use the canonical Ranger hierarchy for rangers or come up with our own? How about Scientists? What are we doing with them?
- Does "no faction" count as a third faction that also needs its perks and downsides?
- Is there something else we still need to think and address about the case of factions?

I think that's all I can think of for the moment. So, thoughts, anyone?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]








- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -




Reply

#2
Quote:- How much do faction members have to obey their superiors? The League traditionally isn't all that organized, but canonical evil teams are very organized and seemingly largely based on obedience. It would make sense if low-ranking evil team members had to do what their superiors tell them to do, but this could get quite jarring in normal gameplay. So, how should we deal with that?

I think as long as the low rank evil team members don't suddenly go off the path of what they're suppose to do (does this make sense?) then that's fine. Perhaps they won't totally agree with what their superior wants but will still do the task nonetheless.

Quote:- How are the downsides of crime dealt with? The region being a brand new one, there probably isn't a police force in action, which would make this a PvP type situation. If Team Evil can steal Pokémon, cause mayhem, and disregard laws, the League has to have some ways to fight back. Can evil team members be put in jail? Can they be made to pay fines? Can the stolen Pokémon be confiscated? Can their base be raided?

Considering in various canon the evil team members had been put in jail and their base raided, I think those things can be arranged.

Quote:- How much mayhem can Team Evil cause, actually? How much can they bend the laws and general tastefulness? Is murdering Pokémon/people okay? Can they capture people as well as Pokémon? Can they steal unique/otherwise very hard-earned Pokémon/items?

Those things seem to be fine, though depending how much violence you guys want for this RP the murder probably might be more or less referenced and not described too much?

Quote:- Do Rangers and Scientist follow the same ranks and same advancement, or do they have their own ranks and systems to follow? Will we use the canonical Ranger hierarchy for rangers or come up with our own? How about Scientists? What are we doing with them?

Rangers we can go with the canonical hierarchy to make things easier. As for Scientists, have no idea yet haha.

Don't think there's a need for "no faction" to be counted as a third faction.
[Image: skyandbalincopy.png]
“Now my friends, I think this calls for a toast. We’re embarking on something truly great here. Be prepared for what’s coming.”

[Avatar found image at LJ] [The Black Cat's Stains: My gallery] [The Ruin Maniac: My ASB-Neo Trainer Profile]
[Nothing, Everything and Heart of the Sea (coming soon): My stories]
Reply

#3
I've got some input on the organization of Team Evil. Basically, I don't like the idea of players having to listen to Superior X. What I recommend is that we have plot bunnies for evil dungeons that are basically Superior X giving out missions to the players. In other words, dungeons specifically for Team Evil characters that reflect the theme of being on Team Evil. For instance, breaking into a professor's lab and stealing rare pokémon, enacting evil schemes, competing to see who gets to replace the exec that just got arrested, etc. Same thing goes for League players: they'd be rescuing pokémon from Team Evil and overall trying to take down the organization. So three dungeon categories:

1. Dungeons specifically for League characters
2. Dungeons specifically for Team Evil characters
3. Generic dungeons (for everyone)

Bonus points for making Superior X the actual name of Team Evil's boss. Bonus bonus points for actually naming it Team Evil.

As for my thoughts on the other stuff, we should *basically* have both factions feel the same in terms of what pokémon you can get, how often you can get them, and so forth. The trouble with evil characters is punishment. Ultimately, League players won't really get punished unless they do something illegal, so the consequences can't be too severe for evil players. On the other hand, League players don't have the opportunity to steal pokémon, which technically gives evil players an advantage.

I'd say that if a Team Evil player gets arrested or defeated or otherwise "loses" a dungeon, they also lose all pokémon they've stolen during that dungeon. They still keep any pokémon they've caught legitimately: however, perhaps it's harder for them to catch wild pokémon? Like, their pokéballs are weaker because they've got a bunch of delicate technology that transfers pokémon ownership to them. This raises the question of whether they can just buy regular pokéballs as well...but I've got a solution for that too. Wild pokémon don't like being with evil people, so evil players have to use a special kind of pokéball that brainwashes whatever pokémon they catch. These pokéballs skimp on durability in favor of allowing the evil player to have a chance of controlling their pokémon at all.
Δ
Reply

#4
Basically what we could do to make the two factions as balanced as possible would be to have the Team Evil faction threads be very similar in structure to the threads League players use to gain ranks (i.e. Gym dungeons, E4, possibly other 'quests'). Namely, there'd be sort of puzzley battle missions where you gain medals or other tokens of success and therefore gain more notoriety and rank within the faction. The higher your rank is (say, 4 badges/medals versus 1 badge/medal), the cooler stuff you can buy in the faction-specific stores - Poké Mart for the Pokémon League and the black market for evil team players, who can't, because of their known criminal status, actually go to a Poké Mart. In Poké Marts, prices are much as in canon, but black market could have cheaper expensive items and then, conversely, expensiver cheap items. Maybe. Or something.

The question is, though, who would run the Team Evil dungeons? The Gym dungeons will probably fall to staff NPC's until players rise to the rank where they can take those over. Would we do the same for Team Evil rank advancement dungeons? Or what?

Also, how do Rangers and Scientists gain ranks in their faction? Or should we simply forgo the whole notion of "rank" and simply have different professions and then fame in those professions? That would make things relatively simple, because then rangers can be rangers and scientists can be scientists, and trainers would divide to "grunts"(i.e. normal Team Evil member)/spies/agents or trainers/gym leaders/E4/maybe coordinators if we want to implement that/other possible profession. The only problem with that solution is that all canonical evil teams do have admins and leaders and whatnot, and the other members are subordinate to them. So, is ours a non-canonical evil team of evil anarchy and chaos or what are we doing with that?
[Image: sentretsig_zps54cdacf8.png]








- The Sentret Moderator -
- Reads, writes and draws -
- The resident fan of Sentret -
- Also in charge of some stuff -




Reply

#5
I like the idea of there being dungeons depending on what rank you are... or maybe there should be more open-ended so 'goals' by the player really depends on what they want to do as well as the above. (E.g. 'team ___ are to attack ___', and you could aide them or try to stop them depending on what you want, and your success in those actions yadda yadda).
Quote:I'd say that if a Team Evil player gets arrested or defeated or otherwise "loses" a dungeon, they also lose all pokémon they've stolen during that dungeon. They still keep any pokémon they've caught legitimately: however, perhaps it's harder for them to catch wild pokémon? Like, their pokéballs are weaker because they've got a bunch of delicate technology that transfers pokémon ownership to them. This raises the question of whether they can just buy regular pokéballs as well...but I've got a solution for that too. Wild pokémon don't like being with evil people, so evil players have to use a special kind of pokéball that brainwashes whatever pokémon they catch. These pokéballs skimp on durability in favor of allowing the evil player to have a chance of controlling their pokémon at all.
I think the weaker pokeball stuff sounds weird tbh (and a lot of what-ifs introduced into whether something is caught or not too comes into play, etc...)... not for that personally. Plus it hasn't been the case canonically (e.g. Colosseum/XD with snag balls just regular Pokeballs or whatnot that can override trainer id stuff or whatnot), and if someone decides to be bad/become good during a dungeon then they'd be stuck on not having the right kind of Ball.

Maybe just stuff up to the DM to make it harder (e.g. police/league keep a closer eye to them, maybe pokemon more likely to avoid them as they are working for team evil, etc) if we need additional penalties for failure.

Quote:The question is, though, who would run the Team Evil dungeons? The Gym dungeons will probably fall to staff NPC's until players rise to the rank where they can take those over. Would we do the same for Team Evil rank advancement dungeons? Or what?
I suppose, for the more important TE dungeons anyways. More basic ones I'm fine with anyone managing. (Besides how many of use would be constantly available, etc to do it from the staff? =/)
Quote:Also, how do Rangers and Scientists gain ranks in their faction? Or should we simply forgo the whole notion of "rank" and simply have different professions and then fame in those professions? That would make things relatively simple, because then rangers can be rangers and scientists can be scientists, and trainers would divide to "grunts"(i.e. normal Team Evil member)/spies/agents or trainers/gym leaders/E4/maybe coordinators if we want to implement that/other possible profession. The only problem with that solution is that all canonical evil teams do have admins and leaders and whatnot, and the other members are subordinate to them. So, is ours a non-canonical evil team of evil anarchy and chaos or what are we doing with that?
I think this makes more sense and is simplier too.
[Image: suisdbsf.png]
By TwilightBlade of PC. =D
Reply



Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)