The BBS
Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Printable Version

+- The BBS (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Challenges/Let's Plays (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang (/showthread.php?tid=922)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 1st Aug 2012

Let's Play Pokemon Diamond!
A Screenshot LP

[Image: di.jpg]
Ah, good old Pokemon -wait, what?

Title Screen Music
Repost from after the Scratch!

Anyways! For those who do not know, there are a pair of old GBC games called 'Pokemon Diamond and Jade'. They're infamous for their talk of curry and random swearing and hilarious engrish!

Said games are really badly pirated and translated games called 'Keitai Denjuu Telefang', which was another monster-collecting+fighting game that was only ever officially released in Japan (it also got a Japanese-only sequel). But said piraters tried to pass their poorly translated works as Pokemon games, completely with box art and a different title screen! Within the game though (bar it being in English Engrish and having the odd problem with saving in cases) it was simply the Telefang game, with no Pokemon to be found inside.

'Pokemon Diamond' was the 'Power version' of Telefang, while Jade was the 'Speed version'. (I don't believe they're referring to that sort of speed, but...). Well, have a Telefang box art pic:

Show ContentSpoiler:
But it's not a bad game - some tough battles, frustrating mazes, catchy music and very entertaining engrish - what's not to love? ;p

I've decided to replay this game - I actually had a game pak with this as a kid which provided me with many, many hours of confusion. Hope you enjoy it too!

Note I'll throw up tunes when they come up in the game via sound clip player windows! Press play to, well, play, and if it lags it's not my fault.

Warning - swearing is abounds in this game in some stages. But it's engrish swearing so it's all good! ;p

Part One - Down the Rabbit Hole!
Or part of the long intro sequence in which a lot of baseballs happen.

Show ContentSpoiler:

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Phoenixsong - 3rd Aug 2012

Ooh! Always been curious about Telefang these totes legit games. I'll be following this, and all its glorious Engrish. :D

You may want to check those sound links, though. Every time I try to click one, all I get is:

[Image: Keitai%20Denjuu%20Telefang%20-%2033_house%20theme.mp3]

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 3rd Aug 2012

Why does it even have that =/

Okay, looked around and it seems the fild hosting place gained privacy settings... set automatically to private. =/ Should be fixed now, hopefully. Cheers for telling as they worked for me just fine so I was unaware! -_-

At any rate one thing that will be present is plenty of Engrish. =D

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 10th Aug 2012

Part Two - A Whole New World
Or the rest of the long intro sequence in which a magic phone happens.

Show ContentSpoiler:

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Locomotive Breath - 12th Aug 2012

I will once again be following this with great interest. xD

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Phoenixsong - 12th Aug 2012

Thanks for fixing the music settings, and no problem. The music really does add to the... er, atmosphere. (The link to the Awkward Zombie comic is broken now, though, as a heads-up.)

Oh, goody—I can't wait for the battles to start. I clicked around that site you linked and ended up on the Telefang wiki, and I have to say that the game actually looks pretty interesting on its own. Shame (hilarious shame, though) that an awful bootleg is how it had to get most of its attention. I may have to get the proper English translation patch and give it a try myself at some point, although a quick glance at the denjuu evolution branches sure does look hella confusing!

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 14th Aug 2012

Locomotive Breath Wrote:I will once again be following this with great interest. xD
And telefang is following you!

O_O
Phoenixsong Wrote:Thanks for fixing the music settings, and no problem. The music really does add to the... er, atmosphere. (The link to the Awkward Zombie comic is broken now, though, as a heads-up.)
IMO the music overall is actually pretty enjoyably, especially the battle music. 'Tis good fun.

Also that awkwardzombie link isn't wanting to work on any forum upon further inspection no matter what; the forum url gets added to the front and I've no idea why. =/ So I am just going without it now, only cool people will appreciate it. =p
Quote:Oh, goody—I can't wait for the battles to start. I clicked around that site you linked and ended up on the Telefang wiki, and I have to say that the game actually looks pretty interesting on its own. Shame (hilarious shame, though) that an awful bootleg is how it had to get most of its attention. I may have to get the proper English translation patch and give it a try myself at some point, although a quick glance at the denjuu evolution branches sure does look hella confusing!
As said earlier, it was successful enough to get a sequel in Japan (but no release elsewhere). Go figure!

And the evolution branches are hella confusing. The methods can also be...strange. But more on that later!

Part Three - Looking for NETARO
Or a lot of walking north in which for the patient reader, curry increase!

Show ContentSpoiler:

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 21st Aug 2012

Part Four: Still looking for NETARO
Or wandering about a cave and finding out what a trainer looks like.

Show ContentSpoiler:

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 8th Sep 2012

Part Five - Magical Trees!
Or MUSA tells us to do stuff for him after a lot of talking.
Show ContentSpoiler:

Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 16th Sep 2012

Part Six - Kelina Village!
Or talking to a lot of weird people and things who want bombs.

Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 23rd Sep 2012

Part Seven - Search for a Thief!
Or a lot of talking to someone and trying to find [Key]!

Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Phoenixsong - 27th Sep 2012

I am increasingly unable to understand what on earth is going on here. I assume that means it's working. :p

I don't suppose anyone knows why bootleg Engrish games tend to throw in a lot of curse words, especially at random intervals? There are the egregious ones, like whatever's going on in Vietnamese Crystal, but even in games like this or some actual bootleg Pokémon games I owned have seen, where the use of the word is contextually appropriate but probably wasn't present in the original Japanese... like, are the translators just unaware of the word "darn"? Do they think it makes the game look edgier and thus more appealing to all the terrible foulmouthed American children they're trying to con? I just find it interesting that I've seen it happen multiple times across a variety of games. Huh.

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - Deenaa - 4th Oct 2012

As far as I've been taught, languages like Japanese don't really have swear words, but instead imply rudeness by how they speak? (To be fair I probably am wrong about this, please correct me!) For example the curse 'kuzo(u?)' can mean anything from 'damnit' to 'you asshole' depending on how vehemently it's said.

I think it probably has a lot to do with how the translators view English speaking people, but it could also just be a case of literal translation - Japanese has the context and we don't, so awkwardly inserting swear words gets the point across.

(Also also, I know way too much about this game thanks to you Marcin but I skimmed through this before and I'll be doing the same for future updates! Meow)

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 10th Dec 2012

Doop de doop, holidays again, let's see how much of this I can get done then.

Also had to recently reupload and reupdate all the music links as the place they were hosted went under for good. =/ I clearly have all the luck! If any previous sound links didn't work please let me know.

Part Eight - Kelina Cave
Or Learning about Peach Boy and KAKUZATO
Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 2nd Jan 2013

Part Nine: Off to Alice!
Or a lack of good judgement and more questionable NPCs.

Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 10th Jan 2013

Part Ten: THE SEA
Or a guide to remembering it.

Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 26th Jan 2013

Part Eleven: Enter BOUNDARY
Or that guy with a really good theme tune who hates trees.
Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - An-chan - 27th Jan 2013

In the pictures after the rival battle, Bek looks like he's jumping ON not-Sandslash. I thought that was funny.

Also this is still very amusing and well-written. Just figured I'd say that. I'm interested to see what kind of trippy hijinks ensue next!

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 4th Feb 2013

(27th Jan 2013, 12:12 PM)An-chan Wrote: In the pictures after the rival battle, Bek looks like he's jumping ON not-Sandslash. I thought that was funny.

Also this is still very amusing and well-written. Just figured I'd say that. I'm interested to see what kind of trippy hijinks ensue next!
I probably would not advise jumping on Not-Sandslash given the spikes and all.

And cheers! Onwards, I say!

Part Twelve: The City of Shops
Or...well, a lot of shopping and acquiring the killer pony.

Show ContentSpoiler:

RE: Let's Play Pokemon 'Diamond' - Keitai Denjuu Telefang - bobandbill - 26th Feb 2013

Part Thirteen: The Continued Competition
Or seeing how weird some trainer sprites get.

Show ContentSpoiler: