The BBS
How about another posting blitz? - Printable Version

+- The BBS (http://bbs.studio-revolution.net)
+-- Forum: Forum Stuff (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How about another posting blitz? (/showthread.php?tid=1337)

Pages: 1 2

How about another posting blitz? - Richard Fightmaster - 1st Aug 2014 02:20 AM

(note: I wasn't sure which section to put this in, so feel free to move it wherever it belongs, admins.)

Yes and hello! Remember the posting blitzes? Those were fun. Fun ways to raise our productivity and creativity. We haven't put out as many articles as we used to lately, so maybe having a two week blitz during August would be a good way to get us back to the glory days of 2013. Who knows, it's just a lil' idea.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - bobandbill - 1st Aug 2014 04:21 AM

(1st Aug 2014 02:20 AM)Richard Fightmaster Wrote:  (note: I wasn't sure which section to put this in, so feel free to move it wherever it belongs, admins.)

Yes and hello! Remember the posting blitzes? Those were fun. Fun ways to raise our productivity and creativity. We haven't put out as many articles as we used to lately, so maybe having a two week blitz during August would be a good way to get us back to the glory days of 2013. Who knows, it's just a lil' idea.
I like it.

However, I think it would be better to have it after us mods finish up with a little organisation and implementation of a side feature, that we will hopefully have done soon (tentatively within a month). In part because it would actually benefit from the posting blitz. (Hint - it has to do with a section which currently has no posts).

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Jax - 10th Aug 2014 05:31 PM

Agreed with bobandbill. We're hammering out some final details at the moment, so hopefully, that'll be up before September. Hopefully.

But it'd be a nice way to launch said new feature, so this gets a definite yes from me.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - bobandbill - 13th Aug 2014 02:17 PM

The thing we have been alluding to above is getting closer. So to preempt things, what do you guys want to see in the next Posting Blitz?

For example, the general idea is 'make posts and new threads, and you get more points and maybe other prizes too if you do that more than other people'. What do you want to see as prizes? And what about events held during the blitz (e.g. writing challenges? Mafia game? Extra focus on a particular section?). If you want to host any events too then you can express that interest in here.

For reference, here is the thread for the last one we had: http://bbs.studio-revolution.net/showthread.php?tid=1103

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Jax - 14th Aug 2014 12:00 AM

Aww yiss, I am most definitely for another round of Mafia. Those usually brought people together. In the most hilarious and violent ways possible, I mean. I'd be down with hosting too unless someone's got their heart set on it.

But otherwise, yes yes yes, folks should totally suggest ideas for events!

... On a non-contesty level, though, would anyone be interested in a capslock thread? For those of you not in the know, they're exactly what they sound like: discussion threads wherein communicating via capslock is mandatory and via gif/macro is highly encouraged so long as it's hilarious. It'd be a place for blowing off steam and talking about whatever. Kinda like our actual discussion thread but with more cats.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Bay Alexison - 14th Aug 2014 12:34 AM

Totally down for Mafia and capslock thread. Writing challenges would be fun too as I haven't written anything new the last few months.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - An-chan - 14th Aug 2014 03:34 AM

We could do daily drabble/similarly short story prompts, or some kind of other writing thing for sure. I'd be up for running it also.

And, there's that game system lying about, very near to completion... So I'ma see if I can come up with anything to do there. Suggestions are welcome :D

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Slayr231 - 14th Aug 2014 04:31 AM

I'd be down for Mafia and writing competitions, and the CAPSLOCK thread sounds neat too.

Would people be up for another battle competition like the one I ran last year? I wouldn't have as much time, as I'm working full time now, but I would be up for running it again if the interest is there.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - bobandbill - 14th Aug 2014 02:58 PM

I enjoyed Mafia too, and am fine with you hosting it too, Jax. =)

Writing prompts sounds good.

Battle comp - I don't use showdown or whatnot that was used last time, otherwise I'd be more interested if they were over wifi. But last time people didn't want to/couldn't (?) use the wifi and actual games for one reason or another. So I guess it depends if there is an interest for which format.

Quote:And, there's that game system lying about, very near to completion... So I'ma see if I can come up with anything to do there. Suggestions are welcome :D
Given the post blitz lasts typically around a week or thereabouts, any event there probably would need to fit in that timeframe too.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Camisado - 14th Aug 2014 07:56 PM

DID SOMEONE SAY CAPSLOCK THREAD??

Also, an event in another fandom has made me think, since I haven't seen it in this thread - (fan)art as well? Either complementing the day's writing prompt or run separately? I'd be happy to post Pokémon-related prompts once we have a date!

RE: How about another posting blitz? - bobandbill - 17th Aug 2014 01:42 PM

The achievement hunter system has now been launched, so let's start getting this sorted.

Last time we went from the 20th to 29th, so maybe we should go for a similar time frame (or even slightly longer?).

My preference is to finish at the end of the month, as shortly afterwards I may have limited net access for the better part of a week. So perhaps start in a few days, by next weekend at the latest, and finish by the 30th-31st of this month?

State if/when you are available during that time frame and what you'd like to see/host (if you haven't done so yet, of course).

Current stuff there's been an interest in/suggested:
- Mafia (hosted by Jax?). Good interest.
- Writing prompts (hosted by An-chan?) Good interest. Daily drabbles/prompts suggested.
- Art prompts (Camisado) Just recently raised, I'm fine with it too (just don't have much skill in drawing, haha).
- Battling competition (Slayr - format? Theme? (last time was monotype iirc)).
- CAPSLOCK THREAD (BY POPULAR DEMAND

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Slayr231 - 18th Aug 2014 04:56 AM

I'm down for next week, or whenever, really. I don't think I'll do the battle comp this time because no one really seems to be interested. It would have to be on Showdown, since I don't have wifi. If people did want a wifi tournament, I wouldn't be able to join, and therefore, wouldn't be able to run it.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Camisado - 18th Aug 2014 07:38 AM

I'm good for the next week! I am away at the weekend but I'll be able to post prompts at the very least by smartphone, and have a good shot at participating in other things!

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Jax - 18th Aug 2014 01:04 PM

I'm also good with next week, and the CAPSLOCK thread is good to go whenever. :D

RE: How about another posting blitz? - An-chan - 19th Aug 2014 11:41 PM

I wouldn't mind a showdown tournament. A wifi tournament would be quite possible for me, buuuuut I haven't had time to play X that much yet so my team is pathetic to say the least. I'm good next week also, available for writing prompts/drabble thread and actually art prompts sound pretty cool too. I should do more drawing anyway, sounds like a perfect excuse to me :D

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Jax - 20th Aug 2014 01:07 AM

Heeeeyyyy, not to detract from any interest in the tournament (which would be awesome, by the by!), I have another event idea:

So some of you may remember waaaaay back when in the annals of PC history, we used to do these things called An Exquisite Corpse(s). It was a take-off of this but more accurately something along the lines of this or more simply in PC's case:

A collaborative story game in which a person writes a page of story content and sends only the last line to the next person, who then attempts to build the next part of the story based on what they'd received.

Would anyone be interested in a revival on The BBS? Granted, it might not click that well with a posting blitz unless we have set teams/time periods or rework things (using spoiler tags?). But still.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Bay Alexison - 20th Aug 2014 03:04 AM

The corpse probably won't work too well during the posting blitz, I agree. However, we can always have it as another special event shortly after.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - bobandbill - 20th Aug 2014 12:38 PM

I also agree. I would like to see the corpse back, but let's see it after the posting blitz, perhaps.

Regarding battle competition, maybe during the posting blitz put up a thread and see what interest there is in people entering. Or have the event be less of a competition and just 'battle people' over their choice of showdown/wifi, but have some sort of theme (baby pokemon, monotypes, etc?) People who do have at least one battle gets points for it.

I may have the posting blitz put up by my Friday evening/Saturday, but also let events start whenever whoever is hosting them wants to begin (within reason though). Then we can end it by the following weekend, or just say 'until the end of the month'. That's a nice generic deadline.

Should we provide additional incentives for those who refer new members to join the forums and the event?

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Jax - 20th Aug 2014 01:49 PM

What I meant to say that it was entirely possible to rework the Corpse so that a large number of posts could be done within a short time frame by keeping teams on task and restricting how much writing time each team member got. However, if that's still not quite something people can see working for the blitz, then sure, it could wait until after.

As for Friday, that'll work for the Mafia and CAPSLOCK threads.

RE: How about another posting blitz? - Bay Alexison - 20th Aug 2014 06:55 PM

(20th Aug 2014 12:38 PM)bobandbill Wrote:  Regarding battle competition, maybe during the posting blitz put up a thread and see what interest there is in people entering. Or have the event be less of a competition and just 'battle people' over their choice of showdown/wifi, but have some sort of theme (baby pokemon, monotypes, etc?) People who do have at least one battle gets points for it.
That might be something to try and the people that want to do a battle or two can schedule a good time for it before the event ends.

Quote: Should we provide additional incentives for those who refer new members to join the forums and the event?
Another thing that is worth considering.

(20th Aug 2014 01:49 PM)Jax Wrote:  What I meant to say that it was entirely possible to rework the Corpse so that a large number of posts could be done within a short time frame by keeping teams on task and restricting how much writing time each team member got. However, if that's still not quite something people can see working for the blitz, then sure, it could wait until after.

I did catch the mention of the corpse possible if reworked, and it could! I just think with the other events going on it might not get too much attention even with a shortened writing time. Sorry if I was too blunt.